Co Sleeping in the Hospital - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2007, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those who had a hospital birth, were you allowed to co-sleep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2007, 12:43 AM

I didn't have a hospital birth, but did have dd transfered to the NINCU. She spent one day in the NINCU and then two with us in a room in pediatrics. We weren't planning on co-sleeping back then, but at 5 in the morning when I still hadn't slept because she kept waking up every time I layed her down, I decided to just lay down with her and nurse that way. Low and behold, she slept and so did I I had one nurse give me a hard time and say she needed to get out of the bed, but she didn't make an issue of it. Really, it's your baby, so they can't force you to not co-sleep.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:47 AM

I believe that it depends on the hospital. I am sure some hospitals give you a hard time but when I was there the nurses were way to busy to notice or care how I was "sleeping" with my baby. Also I find there is no real sleep in a hospital, too much going on.

You might also want to consider that hospital beds are not conducive to co-sleeping.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my dd was in the nicu..but the last 2 days we were there she was allowed in my room for feedings and I would doze off, they were fine with it as long as my husband was in the room. but they had rules posted in the room, newborn is to be placed in bassinet when the parents are asleep, or something like that. to be honest, it depends on the nurse. we had quite a few awesome ones who didn't care if we were all 3 snuggled up sleeping

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2007, 02:05 AM

Yes {with all 3}.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Old 08-18-2007, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All of my kids were born in hospital (the same community hospital, a town of apx 10,000 people).

In my one daytime birth, we didn't stay overnight. But in the other 3 admissions, we most certainly did cosleep. The nurses always brought a glass bassinet into the room. But I don't remember ever it being suggested that we use it and we certainly weren't told to.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
Old 08-18-2007, 02:13 AM

I didn't but I'd had some Ambien because I can never sleep in the hospital and I'd been in labor for several days. I was awake most of the time anyway though so neither baby spent much time in that plastic thing, only when I had to go pee.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:18 AM

I was allowed to co-sleep.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:18 AM

like others said, they didn't really say much of anything and co-sleeping in a hospital bed is hard.. and we didn't sleep much! lol.. i did fall asleep with ds in my arms many times.. My (now ex) husband and i took turns holding him and sleeping.. i hardly slept at all and when i did it seemed to be during the day and there was always someone who wanted to hold him so.. the floor i stayed on didn't even have a nursery.. all babied roomed with mamas unless the moms said otherwise (so cool!) they never even offered to take him (not that i would have let them!)

~Jaclyn~ Mama to Lucas Wyatt born 5-3-06
Old 08-18-2007, 02:21 AM

During our hospital tour, they said absolutely no co-sleeping.

Our experience was totally different though! We coslept the entire time. Our baby never left our sight.

It probably helps that I can wake on a dime so every time someone came in I appeared wide awake..

Brittany
Old 08-18-2007, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaK View Post
I believe that it depends on the hospital. I am sure some hospitals give you a hard time but when I was there the nurses were way to busy to notice or care how I was "sleeping" with my baby. Also I find there is no real sleep in a hospital, too much going on.
:

I coslept in the hospital. On the second night(had complications so had to stay two nights)one nurse who, was very nice, warned me that some babies had fallen out of the hospital beds. I assured her that he was #4 and I had nursed and shared a bed with all my children, then she relaxed and said okay.
When it comes to the hospital I remember what my Bradley teacher told me when I was pregnant with #1, "Don't give your birth experience away!" These nurses will probably not remember you, but you will probably remember your birth experience for the rest of your life. So I say pleasantly and confidently state your opinion. Blessings!

grouphug.gif mom to five on earth (11 ,9, 7 and 5) and one on the way October 19, 2012 joy.gif

One in heaven angel.gif July 2006

Quote:
During our hospital tour, they said absolutely no co-sleeping.

Our experience was totally different though! We coslept the entire time. Our baby never left our sight.

It probably helps that I can wake on a dime so every time someone came in I appeared wide awake..

Brittany
and :
Old 08-18-2007, 02:34 AM

You can, just be careful. Hospital beds are high and there is no carpeting underneath. My SIL fell asleep while nursing and her DD fell out of bed and fractured her skull. My SIL was still pretty groggy from a c/s and her DH was sleep in a chair. The baby had to be transfered to another hospital and my SIL has to get discharged early. It was a real mess.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
Old 08-18-2007, 02:39 AM

I gave birth in a hospital, and the first night, I slept with my baby in bed with me. The next evening, he developed a lung infection and had to go up to the NICU where I spent the rest of that night in a recliner with him on my chest. The following night I tried to sleep with him on my chest again, but was told by a new nurse that I could only hold him on my chest as long as I was awake. I told her that I would simply not sleep that night then, as I really didn't want him in the plastic bassinet.

Luckily, we were sent back down to the mom/baby unit at shortly after midnight that second night in the NICU and I was again allowed to sleep with my peanut for the rest of the week that we were in the hospital. I made sure to check with every new nurse, and all of them on the mom/baby unit were incredibly supportive of co-sleeping.

I hadn't originally planned on co-sleeping in the hospital, but I quickly realized that I couldn't sleep if he wasn't right there next to my skin. I nursed him to sleep from day one, and we have done skin-to-skin literally since birth every night. There is nothing better than a warm baby snuggled in bed with you.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 08-18-2007, 02:40 AM

Yep! Slept with dd all night and the next day just love our hospital here... all the nurses are so sweet!

Mommy to Two
Old 08-18-2007, 02:41 AM

I didn't give birth at the hospital, but I ended up there 5 days post partum with a uterine infection and had to stay over night...and yes, I co-slept. Honestly, I would have signed out AMA if they wouldn't let me co-sleep with her.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 08-18-2007, 02:42 AM

I co-slept the whole time in the hospital. But don't ask permission...
Old 08-18-2007, 02:47 AM

Our hospital is very open minded/ap friendly. After my second, I was incredibly ill and the nurses would change his dipes (cloth) for me, as I couldnt get up and pass him right back into bed with to go to sleep with Incredible support!
Old 08-18-2007, 02:48 AM

We sorta did, he wanted to nurse alot, and i fell asleep reclined in the bed.......no nurses bothered me about it, but while he was in a deep sleep i would put him down in the little bassinet so i could eat or shower etc.

And When I had my gall bladder out last year, i was in the hospital for 3 days, and ds co-slept with me the whole time, he had just turned 12mths old.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:53 AM

I had my first baby in the hospital, and as much as I disliked the hospital experience, they were extremely supportive of breastfeeding, and they actually encouraged us to sleep with the baby while we were there. Both my dds have had trouble maintaining a high enough body temp for the first 12-15 hours, so that may have been part of the reason it was encouraged though. I got a formula sample bag, but the hospital added nursing pads, lansinoh, and a mini version of the nursing mother's companion to the contents. After the birth experience, I was pretty surprised they were so AP.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:07 AM

I did it with my first, just because it seemed like the thing to do. I didn't know much about co-sleeping at the time, I just didn't like the thought of my baby away from me in her little bassinet. I was recovering from a c-section and didn't want to stretch over to grab the bassinet when she needed to nurse.

I didn't ask permission, and I don't think anybody noticed. My bed had rails, so falling out wasn't an issue.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:11 AM

I co-slept with dd for the one night that we were there. The nurse asked me a couple of times if I wanted to put her in the bassient but I just declined.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Old 08-18-2007, 11:43 AM

they made me sign a paper that i wouldn't co-sleep, i guess for liability. That didn't work so I put her in bed with me and blocked off the sides of the bed and just pretended that she just woke up and was nursing everytime I heard a nurse come in. I was so relieved to get home to a place i could sleep freely.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:45 AM

The hospital DS1&2 were born at they were really crappy about co sleeping. They came in a woke "us" up every time I snuggled in wtih them. With DS3 they were great. One nurse even came in and said she nursed "best" laying in bed and half sleeping LOL.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
Old 08-18-2007, 11:46 AM

yes with both babies, with my daughter one nurse gave me a bit of a hard time but i told her we were just fine thank-u, and with my son nothing was said, we had a great nurse.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:59 AM

With my first two, no way could I cosleep. Tiny hospital beds and I just didn't feel safe trying to do it in them. Third baby however, I had a queen sized bed all to myself (different hospital) and I did cosleep a few times. Nurses never said anything because I always woke up when they came in. I assumed they were either ok with it or just figured I was nursing her.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:00 PM

we coslept and I was warned once but continued anyway....I usually woke right up when someone entered the room.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:02 PM

Personally, I don't think the hospitals are necessarily asking people not to co-sleep for the heck of it. There have been some babies who fell to the floor from those skinny little beds when their mom fell asleep. My SIL is a nurse (who is pretty AP) where it happened once. They are probably afraid of being sued, because you know how sue-happy people can be these days.

I did a little co-sleeping when #3 was born, but was afraid I would squish him, as I am a large lady, and also had him sleep very close to me, in his bassinet. I say if you want to do it, then do it.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:44 PM

I was too groggy after a 3 day labor with complications but he never left my husbands arms. The nurses freaked when they couldn't find him at first but when I refused to have him put in the plastic basket they relented.

User Tag List