Early rising, grumpy sleeping morning, and early nap... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 08-23-2007, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS wakes increasingly early in the morning (now before 7am, yes, this is very early for me) His mornings are filled with tantrums and he wants to go down for a nap by 9am. Problem is that he is tired again by 2pm and refuses to nap, but wants to go to bed by 6:30. He generally goes down for the night between 7:30 and 8, so he is getting around 11hr of sleep.

My question, if i start moving his bedtime back, lets say to 8:30, will this encourage him to sleep in a bit and in time nap in the afternoon instead of the morning, or will it just backfire and leave everyone overtired? One note, if he does take an afternoon nap, which i push for and usually get 5 or 6 days a week, just an afternoon nap no morning nap, it lasts only 1.5hr opposed to the 2 hrs he gets if it is in the morning.

He is 25mo, sleeps in his crib in his room, sleep straight through (most nights) and goes to bed happily. we have noticed he has also been having night terrors or nightmares in the middle of the night, he screams for 30sec or so and then is quiet until the morning.

Please help me, anyone with advice on what time to get him down so he will sleep better and not be so darn cranky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-23-2007, 01:18 PM

No advice but I'm also in the same boat, and just a related question. If you're moving a bedtime forward, how do you do it without them becoming overtired and stressed out?
#3 of 7 Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Not to answer my own question, but i have noticed when were are out of the house after dinner he is happy and awake later than when we are playing in the living room. But after a full day of toddlerhood I am not so excited about having another activity after dinner. Maybe there is another way, anyone?

#4 of 7 Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 PM

In Healthy Sleep Habit, Happy Child, the author suggests that moving the bedtime EARLIER will actually create longer morning sleep. He says "sleep begets sleep". I have generally found this to be true. DS is 6.5 months and goes to be around 7pm now. He doesn't sleep through the night though, but maybe you could try moving the bedtime earlier and see what happens?

Sarah
#5 of 7 Old 08-23-2007, 10:19 PM

i agree with the pp about trying an earlier bedtime. he may not be getting enough sleep. especially if you say he is cranky and showing signs of wanting to go to bed at 6:30. i don't think that time is too early for bedtime. a friend of mine's kid sleeps from 6:30-6:00/6:30am and then takes an hour and a half nap during the day (at 2 years old).
#6 of 7 Old 08-24-2007, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dd#3 is the same way. I hope it doesn't discourage you, but honestly no matter what time she goes to sleep she is up by 7, and that is late for her (usually it's more like 6). It's just her clock. Even in the winter when it was dark, or for several months when she was going to bed around 8, she was still up by 6. And yeah, she actually sleeps better when she goes to bed earlier, so I think trying to put him to bed later will backfire on you

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#7 of 7 Old 08-25-2007, 08:31 AM

My first son is up at 5am regardless of when he goes to sleep : We tried everything. he best solution was just to get him into the bedroom at 630, to sleep by 7 or 715 so that we would not suffer an incredibly sleep deprived toddler the next day. 5am waking are what made me break my no tv for tiny kids resolution. Blues clues dvds are my best friends

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page