Saturday Special: The perils of sharing bed with baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-19-2003, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Globe and Mail (one of two national newspapers here in Canada) has a front-page article devoted to the dangers of bedsharing, which the reporter conflates with cosleeping. It has some useful info (on safe cosleeping practice) couched in paranoid language ("perils," etc.) and a negative outlook ("Newborns safest in crib beside bed, doctor says").

The perils of sharing bed with baby

Here's the letter I sent:

A new mother, numbed by epidural anaesthesia, exhausted by a long or difficult labour, might not be able to share a bed with her baby until she has recovered, but recovery usually takes hours or days, not weeks, months or years. Miranda Halladay’s experience is a tragic reminder – not of the dangers of co-sleeping – but of the importance of co-sleeping safely (e.g., not when the parent or caregiver is exhausted or has been desensitized by alcohol or drugs, including painkillers routinely administered to labouring women). Was place of death the only risk factor in Ms. Halladay’s loss? Or did excessive fatigue, drug impairment and insufficient postpartum support also play a role? One thing’s for sure: Nobody expects the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to distinguish between safe and unsafe co-sleeping practice as long as this federal agency maintains its cozy relationship with the industry it is supposed to regulate, launching a safety campaign to promote the sale of cribs in tandem with – surprise, surprise – the Juvenile Product Manufacturers Association.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2003, 03:07 AM

Good letter!

I will give credit to them though... That article was much less biased than most I've read.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:02 PM

Wow, that's a terribly sad story. I agree, though, that the article was much more balanced than many I've seen that paint co-sleeping as 100% deadly dangerous.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 07-26-2003, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

I disagree about it being balanced, mostly because of how it looked in the actual paper, which, like I said, is very prominent here. Even if you don't subscribe, you're likely to see the front page of the Saturday paper. One quarter of the front page was taken up with a picture of a beautifully pregnant woman (the mother who lost her firstborn). Beside the picture, the very prominent " perils of sharing bed" headline. Two Albertan MDs wrote a joint letter of protest and it was published on the following Monday. That said, many more people read the Saturday paper. For example, I only subscribe to the Saturday paper and only rarely skim the Monday paper.

p.s. Don't you find that editors will do anything within their power to get a picture of a baby or a belly on the front page?
Old 07-26-2003, 09:02 PM

Well done letter of response.

So, the picture of the woman who lost her child was on the front? Why would she allow that? Does she hold herself responsible?

ok-going to read the article now.

-The link has already switched. Now, it's lead article is about the poachers who slaughtered the Siberian bears to get the bear researchers to stay away. Sickening. What idiots. A friend of these researchers had just told me this story a couple of weeks ago. Why are we so worried about women cosleeping when there are evil people in the world senselessly killing people and animals. :
Old 07-26-2003, 09:21 PM

new link to the story here

Too bad that sensationalistic headlines sell papers.

I thought the story was pretty good once you got past the headline.

I especially liked this part:
Quote:
"We can't ignore that there are definite advantages to co-sleeping," Dr. Woods said. Notably, babies who sleep with their mothers breast-feed longer -- and better -- and are less likely to cry.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought the article was OK. I agree there should be more information on safe co-sleeping. especially at the hospital. Mothers are tired and often drugged. the beds are narrow and some women don't put the rails up. the rails at my hospital were 6 innches from the matress (what is the point of that) so we had to stuff blankets in there. iOt was a little freaky having her in bed with me. They should have bedsharing room with nice spacious beds where everyone can have all the room they need. Ahh, a girl could hope. I read the response letter. I thought it was good. I am glad Canada has a healthier veiw of co-sleeping than America.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 07-27-2003, 12:47 AM

Dodo, I think we here in the US may have such a jaded view of the press's take on co-sleeping that any article that treats co-sleeping as something less than child abuse and a guaranteed death sentence seems balanced! :LOL I thought your letter was really good, BTW.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

User Tag List