What to do when babe is very mobile and co-sleeping in ks bed & no room for a crib? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-07-2007, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The little one and I share the ks bed and he just turned 5 months. I've been wondering how it will work out when he is way more mobile pretty soon. Do I put him in the portable crib for naps and keep the big bed for night? What have you done? Without making a long story, putting the mattress on the floor is not an option because there is no storage for the frame. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2007, 01:50 AM

For naps (when dd would nap alone... sigh) at that age I'd try her on the floor wherever I was or in the bed with me close by. Night time I put her in the middle for a few months.

-Angela
Old 10-07-2007, 02:08 AM

Well, honestly, our DD sleeps alone for naps/night in our regular bed. In 6 months, she's fallen out twice (and never injured...just pissed). We've found that a "body pillow" is enough to keep her from rolling off the side...(we do lay down with her until she's asleep).
Old 10-07-2007, 02:38 PM

Our DC are almost exactly the same age--DD was born 5/6/07!

DD loves the portacrib for naps. When she starts to wake up, I clip toys to the bars and she cracks herself up rolling back and forth to play with them.

At night she ONLY sleeps between us. She has just discovered that rolling can take her places, and DH and I act as bumpers during the night. Not sure what we'll do when she learns to crawl, though...

Mommy to DD 5-07
Old 10-07-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorianboy View Post
The little one and I share the ks bed and he just turned 5 months. I've been wondering how it will work out when he is way more mobile pretty soon. Do I put him in the portable crib for naps and keep the big bed for night?
That's what we do. He actually sleeps better in the portable crib now, sadly, so he spends most of his nights in there. But it's right by the foot of the big bed so if he fusses he can join us in there.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, when the time comes, I'll use the body pillows I kept. Has anyone tried guard rails on a ks bed, i.e., are there any that fit?? For the time being, he and I are the only ones sleeping in the bed, 'cause Daddy is overseas.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:33 AM

Instead of bedrails, I would look into those big long cylinder pillow things that they make for this purpose. Sorry I don't know what they're called, but it's like a super long body pillow that is firm and ties to the bed. There aren't any gaps with them, as there can be with bedrails.
The truth is, we've never used either and just keep the floor by the bed covered with soft things. DD often naps on our bed (not on floor) and never falls off. She fell once when she was starting to crawl, but didn't get hurt and never again purposefully crawled off the bed.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:15 AM

DD slept with us during the night, even when she became mobile. I'm a light sleeper, so if she crawled around I woke. During naps, I would get her to sleep then put her in a pack-n-play to nap. That way I could safely do housework while she slept. I stopped using the pack-n-play around a year old. She did fall of our bed a few times since not using the pack-n-play, but just gets mad, never hurt.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:43 PM

My DD fell off the bed a couple of weeks ago (didn't get hurt) and now I put her down for naps on the floor, on a pack-n-play mattress. I don't like disturbing her once she falls asleep. On the floor, I can nurse her and then sneak away. When I am not there, my mom puts her in her crib for naps. It's the only time she sleeps there!

The round pillow a PP mentioned is called a SnugTuck pillow.
http://www.snugtuckpillow.com/

User Tag List