Is CIO mainly an American thing?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm honestly just curious since it seems like other cultures wouldn't even consider CIO an option...

Just wondering what others thoughts are. Hope this is the right place to post this!
#2 of 57 Old 10-11-2007, 11:57 PM

Not exactly on topic to the question you asked, but related. It's an interesting read.

"The Dr. Spock of Sleep: How Richard Ferber became the Icon he is"
http://www.slate.com/id/2142704/

I would say that cio has its roots in American culture; and given America's influence over other nations, I would imagine that other countries and cultures, particularly those that are Western and/or industrialized have adopted cio or some permutation of it.

Interesting question. I have more to say, but am also curious to read other responses.

cheers!
#3 of 57 Old 10-12-2007, 12:10 AM

I think it's a western thing, but not just American.
#4 of 57 Old 10-12-2007, 12:11 AM

It is interesting to read about the history of parenting. Have your read "The Family Bed?" I recommend it!! Great read.
#5 of 57 Old 10-12-2007, 01:21 AM

It's a big thing in Canada too, unfortunately.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#6 of 57 Old 10-12-2007, 02:53 AM

definitely not just american, but a western-culture thing in general...canada, the UK, & here in NZ. i'm not sure about other european countries....though i would guess many places there as well.

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)
#7 of 57 Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 AM

We lived in the Netherlands, and I think it's more prevalent there than in the U.S. DH is German, and it seemed pretty much the same there.
#8 of 57 Old 10-12-2007, 07:01 AM

Definitely prevalent in the UK.
#9 of 57 Old 10-12-2007, 09:50 AM

I've visited Tanzania (East Africa), and saw they usually all sleep in the same "bed" or at least room. This to me rules out CIO, but I don't know for sure.

Visited China too, but didn't get any clues about CIO there.

Just wanted to throw in a few more parts of the world.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#10 of 57 Old 10-13-2007, 03:03 AM

It's pretty normal here in Australia too - but given that a HUGE part of our culture follows America, it's not surprising.
#11 of 57 Old 10-13-2007, 03:10 AM

CIO, yes. But CC is very popular in loads of places.

Pixilixi, I'd dispute that, I've only ever heard of one Australian doing CIO, and everyone I told about it had never heard of it, either. CC, yes, but never ever CIO.

Quote:
I would say that cio has its roots in American culture; and given America's influence over other nations, I would imagine that other countries and cultures, particularly those that are Western and/or industrialized have adopted cio or some permutation of it.
Actually the British culture of a maternity nurse and strict scheduling is probably responsible, just Weissbluth took it to the radical extreme.
#12 of 57 Old 10-14-2007, 12:08 AM

My family is German, and it's very common over there.
#13 of 57 Old 10-14-2007, 12:31 AM

It's called Controlled Crying in some places, the UK and Australia and New Zealand maybe?

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#14 of 57 Old 10-14-2007, 01:28 AM

yep, "controlled crying" here in NZ, but it comes from the UK, not the US (though the US still plays it's part). women are taught by their plunket nurses (a free healthcare system for young families) to lay your baby down in their cot (crib) & leave the room. if they cry, wait 5 min then come in & pat them & show your presence, but leave again. you're "allowed" to burp or change the nappy, but no eye contact or prolonged cuddling! the 5 min is lengthened to 10 & so on until the baby "gets it" (i.e. gives up). they seem to think it's better them all out CIO because of the checking in, but it's pretty well the same!

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)
#15 of 57 Old 10-14-2007, 01:28 AM

I haven't done any research, except for a few anthropology classes that touched on sleep arrangements & parenting as part of larger subjects.
My gut feeling is that it's a by-product of having seperate sleeping arrangements. I think you'd find it uncommon in cultures where co-sleeping or "family beds" are the norm.
I agree with the pp's: I'd call it a "western" thing, but not necessarily "American".
#16 of 57 Old 10-14-2007, 01:33 AM

I'm Mexican but I live in the US and generally CIO is unacceptable in Mexico. Most babies cosleep until they're ready for a toddler or twin bed.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#17 of 57 Old 10-14-2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woobysma View Post
My gut feeling is that it's a by-product of having separate sleeping arrangements. I think you'd find it uncommon in cultures where co-sleeping or "family beds" are the norm.
I agree with this. I think it's unusual (but not unheard of) to find a baby who sleeps well alone. And I think it's unrealistic for most people to wake up multiple times a night to go to a different room to help their baby.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#18 of 57 Old 10-14-2007, 10:17 AM

[QUOTE=wannabe;9422458]CIO, yes. But CC is very popular in loads of places.

Pixilixi, I'd dispute that, I've only ever heard of one Australian doing CIO, and everyone I told about it had never heard of it, either. CC, yes, but never ever CIO.

Yes, I agree that CC in some way, shape or form is more commonly what is prescribed for "bad sleepers", and I know lots of people that make up their own routine of CC....

... but, on the other hand I have heard lots of stories of CIO - including plenty from strangers. This is back in the days when I used to admit in casual conversation that ds was a "bad sleeper". I don't do that any more - I got sick of hearing how babies had been "broken" at 8 months etc.

And I agree with the previous poster too - in some cases, I think "controlled crying" is no better than cio - when the baby is crying so hard, they would barely even register that their parent is trying to "comfort" them by patting or shushing them.
#19 of 57 Old 10-14-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziwozony View Post
yep, "controlled crying" here in NZ, but it comes from the UK, not the US (though the US still plays it's part). women are taught by their plunket nurses (a free healthcare system for young families) to lay your baby down in their cot (crib) & leave the room. if they cry, wait 5 min then come in & pat them & show your presence, but leave again. you're "allowed" to burp or change the nappy, but no eye contact or prolonged cuddling! the 5 min is lengthened to 10 & so on until the baby "gets it" (i.e. gives up). they seem to think it's better them all out CIO because of the checking in, but it's pretty well the same!
It's my understanding that this process is also what Cry It Out is. So, CC and CIO appear to be exactly the same thing, just different names.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#20 of 57 Old 10-14-2007, 10:39 AM

I knew a woman from Brazil once. She shared an apartment wall with a family who did CIO. She told me that she just wanted to go over there and hold that baby. She was good friends with the family, and whenever she had a chance she would hold the baby and rock it to sleep I have no idea whether this was her own personal belief, or if it's widespread in Brazil.
#21 of 57 Old 10-14-2007, 10:53 AM

I think a lot of cultures let babies cry for short amounts of time but not in a formal, systemic way. They figure out if the crying needs to be attended to immediately (like with a very young infant or if their needs aren't being met) and then if the baby's just being fussy then they let them cry a bit. But not in order to teach them independence or whatever... Just because it's not as urgent at the moment to attend to it. It makes sense.
#22 of 57 Old 10-15-2007, 01:11 AM

There is a wonderful book called 'Our Babies, Ourselves' that talks about cultural differences all over the world in childrearing..including breastfeeding, cosleeping, cio, etc....it explains *how* babies sleep cycles work, how they are wired in different areas, how we have been brainwashed to babytrain, blah blah blah! It's a fantastic read and very affirming for those who choose a 'mothering' path ....<thinking thinking> can't recall the author this minute, but ooooooo I do recommend this book.
#23 of 57 Old 10-15-2007, 01:13 AM

i know its thought of in english and new zealand mainstream society as well. according to my fil, in mexico its not.
#24 of 57 Old 10-15-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCanaryCait View Post
There is a wonderful book called 'Our Babies, Ourselves' that talks about cultural differences all over the world in childrearing..including breastfeeding, cosleeping, cio, etc....it explains *how* babies sleep cycles work, how they are wired in different areas, how we have been brainwashed to babytrain, blah blah blah! It's a fantastic read and very affirming for those who choose a 'mothering' path ....<thinking thinking> can't recall the author this minute, but ooooooo I do recommend this book.
The author is Meredith Small. I agree, it's a great book!
#25 of 57 Old 10-15-2007, 08:57 AM

It's not common in South Korea. They still cosleep with much older children, and a five or six year old gets what they want... they are still babies at that age, according to my host mother, when I stayed there.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#26 of 57 Old 10-15-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
you're "allowed" to burp or change the nappy, but no eye contact or prolonged cuddling!
Wow. No eye contact.
This wouldn't fly if the helpless one was an adult. What BS. I'm sorry, but yuck.
#27 of 57 Old 10-15-2007, 03:38 PM

I know at night when my DD woke up, I was ¨all business¨. I kept the room dim, I changed her diaper and fed her. I wouldn´t bring her to a brightly lit room or anything that would stimulate her too much. I still cuddled her though and would whisper to her. I just didn´t do anything to ¨rile her up¨, because I wanted her to go back to sleep. But usually as soon as I heard her rustling around in her bassinet I started feeding her,I didn´t wait until she was fully awake and crying. Many times she was still asleep/drowsy when I fed her.
#28 of 57 Old 10-15-2007, 04:20 PM

My SIL had her children and lives in New Zealand and there it is very mainstream (it was recommended to her by the nurses in the hospital). I'm not sure if they used a formal name, but CIO is what it was. My SIL said "No, I'd rather get up with her." and the nurse replied "You'll come around when you're tired enough."

In England, I know it happens because a friend (British) said that they recently had a TV ad campiegn against it (therefore, people must be doing it, but the cultural shift against it is happening there).
#29 of 57 Old 10-15-2007, 04:22 PM

it's common in ireland. I occasionally lurk on irish parenting boards (I grew up there but live in the US) and there is a lot of talk about it.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#30 of 57 Old 10-15-2007, 04:48 PM

We have Controlled Crying (CC) here in the UK.... though from my understanding its different from CIO?.... Basically...if you ask all the 'mainstream' mothers - they will say 'Its okay to do CC after they are 6 months old' (though you get some doing it from birth!)... and 'You leave them to cry for 5 mintues, check on them, then leave them to cry for 10...then 15...then 20.... and so on'... then they will say... 'its sleep training and it works' ...'dont pick them up or cuddle them though'...etc etc...

But CIO is just leaving them to cry?

Now I am not saying any one is 'better' or 'worse' than the other...I think they are both bad...dont get me started on it! lol... I would never do it...horrible! But I know people who do 'do it'...its quite a 'normal' thing her unfortunatly

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page