CIO: Sure Lookin' Good Right Now! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2007, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post
I wanted to post again to let you know something interesting. I am on another message board and someone posted a question asking how a particular group of the moms who used CIO are doing (these were the holdouts who did it "later" - at about 8-9 months). They wanted to know how their babies are sleeping.

Every one of them is saying how their babies have "regressed." They are all still having to let their babies cry at least once a night. And I know some of them said that the CIO "worked" a couple of weeks ago.
And some of them say they have "given in" and feel guilty for answering their child's cries.

So there is another instance of CIO "working." And this is approximately 5 moms.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm so intrigued by the guilt that parents feel in terms of "giving in." Said another way, parents feel that responding to their baby's cries is tantamount to failing. This seems to reflect the values of the broader culture, whereby independence, autonomy, and self-reliance are privileged and viewed as moral virtues. So it makes sense why parents who cio struggle with guilt - they want to respond, but have come to understand that responding may foster a needy child unable to rely on him/herself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List