Is this really how they do it. - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 106 Old 11-26-2007, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know why I keep reading this thread. The stories are getting worse and worse. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 106 Old 11-29-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora'sMama View Post
Wow, jinx!
Hee hee!

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#93 of 106 Old 11-29-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Here's a sick, sad story. I was 15 and babysitting for a family who was ferberizing their approx year-old baby. I was given the rule that "under NO circumstances" was I to go in the baby's room after 8 o'clock and pick him up. (We all know what's going to happen, right?) I put him to bed precisely at 8 and he started screaming. After a half hour of screaming (and me crying outside the door), I called my mom and asked her what to do. She told me to give it another hour.

Well, after the hour and a half (I had put on a movie to try to distract myself, but couldn't and watched the clock the whole time), I called my mom again. While I was on the phone with her, the poor little guy THREW UP from crying so much. I went in to clean him up and my mother told me TO LEAVE HIM LIKE THAT. She said "that's what I used to do with you. It taught you not to cry and then throw up everywhere when you had to sleep in it."

I was dumbfounded. I hung up with my mom, cleaned him off and changed him, and let him stay up and watch the movie with me. When his mom & dad got home, I quick ran him into his room and put him in the crib.

Can you imagine?? It totally changed my view of my mom.
Wow...that is totally cruel! I'm so glad you cleaned the poor baby and picked them up...poor little thing! One year old is too young to do that sort of 'behavior modification'!

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#94 of 106 Old 11-30-2007, 03:49 PM

Its sad how mainstream cio is. My cousin (male, no child) told me at thanksgiving that if i continued to pick up my 5mo ds everytime he cried that he was going to learn that fussing= being picked up. i just replied that he ought to learn that because that is how we are parenting him and that he was smart to know that he would be comforted if he was upset.
no response.
#95 of 106 Old 11-30-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
I saw a mom letting her DD scream in KMart today for nearly that long. She said to the older woman with her (grandma?) "Oh, she's BOSSY!" She was a newborn, clearly. Then when she FINALLY picked her up she said "I will change your diaper if you just stop all this nonsence!"
I imagine it is likely she screams alot at night too.

This was a newborn?:
#96 of 106 Old 11-30-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Rose View Post
UGH SERIOUSLY. I wake up hungry in the middle of the night ALL THE TIME. So why shouldn't I expect the same from the little one?

Well, to be fair, there are children who do not nurse for hours at a time or wake up to eat several times a night. Mine never did. Usually they would nurse around midnight and then wake up about 6 or so to eat again, when they were around 2-3 mos old. Of course, there were nights when there was an extra time, usually around growth spurts, but usually they slept at least 6 hrs.

In fact, I had never heard of children literally being attached to a breast all night long before coming to this board. I am not knocking it, of course, but my experience was just different.
#97 of 106 Old 11-30-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot Adler View Post
Its sad how mainstream cio is. My cousin (male, no child) told me at thanksgiving that if i continued to pick up my 5mo ds everytime he cried that he was going to learn that fussing= being picked up.
Oh noes, a baby learning that his cries are going to be responded to! :
#98 of 106 Old 11-30-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle View Post
Well, to be fair, there are children who do not nurse for hours at a time or wake up to eat several times a night. Mine never did. Usually they would nurse around midnight and then wake up about 6 or so to eat again, when they were around 2-3 mos old. Of course, there were nights when there was an extra time, usually around growth spurts, but usually they slept at least 6 hrs.
This was DD. I was in for a shock with DS!
#99 of 106 Old 11-30-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_McG View Post
30 minutes would be consider a great success by mainstream folk. It's the 'stubborn' ones that take hours. :
that makes me sick that parents would say that:
#100 of 106 Old 11-30-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
It's tempting to try CIO every night for this house, I haven't given in ... there's nothing wrong with him, he just doesn't sleep.
I hear you. My guy is 27 months old and ever since he stopped nursing to sleep six months ago he takes an hour to fall asleep -- believe me, I'm sick and tired of sitting by his bed in the dark waiting for him to drop off, but what's my alternative? Letting him cry? That's no alternative.

A friend of mine in my very first playgroup (I've since moved on to a more philosophically aligned group) once let her one-year-old daughter cry alone in her crib for an hour and a half at naptime. When the little girl finally fell still, my friend went in to check on her. The girl was nearly unconscious with a very high fever and had blood coming out of her ear -- it turned out she had a terrible ear infection that my friend hadn't known about. My friend felt terrible -- but she didn't stop CIO. Man, I couldn't believe it!
#101 of 106 Old 12-01-2007, 12:44 AM

Please tell me you posted some book suggestions to this Mama - No Cry Sleep Solution, etc. I can't even read other boards anymore. :
#102 of 106 Old 12-01-2007, 02:19 AM

This site might not be helping either. I get thier weekly updates about what my toddler is learning to do at this age. Most of the time it is fine, but then there is this info that is thrown in with it too. http://www.babycenter.com/0_feedings...-years_3665.bc

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#103 of 106 Old 12-01-2007, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole R. View Post

A friend of mine in my very first playgroup (I've since moved on to a more philosophically aligned group) once let her one-year-old daughter cry alone in her crib for an hour and a half at naptime. When the little girl finally fell still, my friend went in to check on her. The girl was nearly unconscious with a very high fever and had blood coming out of her ear -- it turned out she had a terrible ear infection that my friend hadn't known about. My friend felt terrible -- but she didn't stop CIO. Man, I couldn't believe it!

Too sad for words
#104 of 106 Old 12-01-2007, 06:22 PM

These people who do it seem to think that little babies can reason like adults, and can get up and get themselves a fresh diaper if they need it, a drink of water, etc.

I can understand 'conditioning', but not till they are older.

#105 of 106 Old 12-01-2007, 07:36 PM

CIO is so riduculous to me. It's like spanking. I can't help but think of the people who do those things as not very bright (I know how snobish). "I want this baby to sleep by itself... maybe if we just stick it in a room it will eventually stop yellin' and go to sleep. That'll learn it." It's on par with "I'm going to hit you because you hit your brother."

My child slept through the night by age 9 months (yes we were lucky) and never had to sit alone in a room and wail It's like those who support CIO think it's the only thing that will work. Fortunately they are wrong.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#106 of 106 Old 12-02-2007, 01:51 AM

CIO makes me sick as well. i see it as a form of child neglect/abuse. its just downright mean. its all about so called "convenience" for the parents. when someone tells me that they're "sleep training" their baby i want to say, "who's really being trained? the baby to go to sleep or you to ignore the crying?" i could go on and on about how i feel about it like most of us could. i mentioned to my mom about CIO and she was absolutely disgusted that parents are STILL doing it! she said back in the 70's it was popular and she thought there had be progress with parenting issues.

as far as peds goes, at my DS's 6 month well visit the ped asked me how DS was sleeping. i said fine. he went on to ask me if he was STILL in our bedroom. if he had only known he was in our bed! i said yes he was still in our bedroom. he then asked if i would be "open" to moving him into his own room. i said no. we now have a different ped. i'm with some of the pp: peds have NO RIGHT to give me unsolicited parenting advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page