Any tricks for the first night with a new baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2007, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not that I have to worry about this for awhile. Anyone have anything they wish they'd known before their first child?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2007, 10:12 PM

I wish i had known how much noise newborns make while they are sleeping. my son was very grunty and i was so afraid of crushing him in my sleep or not hearing him or something that for the first few weeks, we had to have him in a bassinet beside the bed or else i wouldnt be able to sleep.

I was shocked at this because i just always assumed cosleeping would be the easy way to go and i had no idea what kind of an adjustment it would actually be. Luckily though, we now cosleep very comfortably and i actually have a harder time sleeping if he is not snuggled right up to me.

Hannah, mum to Pearson, 8 months
Old 12-29-2007, 10:19 PM

I wish I had known about babywearing. I remember my first night at home with my 3 day old son. I hadn't slept in days and hubby had to go to work in morning and needed to sleep. At one point I was sitting on the couch, ds was sitting in a baby seat and we were both bawling. The problem was he would only sleep while I was holding him, not on the bed beside me , and I was too weak to sleep while holding him but too tired to not go to sleep. If I had a wrap we both could have slept.

caffix.gif

Old 12-29-2007, 10:24 PM

After my 2nd baby, my best friend (who had come to the birth to take care of my older ds) stayed the night. She and I slept in the living room (baby was born there, I got onto the couch after he was born, and didn't want to move again) and my dh slept in our room w/ my ds1. This way, I tended to the baby, my friend tended to me (bringing me water, propping me up with pillows to nurse, etc) and my dh got a good nights sleep, so he'd be able to help me all the next day.

This was esp great b/c it was a 2nd baby, but I think it would be a great idea for a first baby too. Esp if you have a friend/relative who has children and has breastfed etc and can help you out.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:18 PM
PPK

DS slept alot the first two days, I suggest you do the same!
Old 12-29-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrose9 View Post
This.

I wish I would have just slept in those first few precious days and nights when he did - instead of constantly checking/peeking/touching him. I so could have used a good start. The ensuing weeks, and then months, were traumatic, due to massive horrid sleep deprivation. He was not a sleeper.

Sleep. SLEEP.

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
Old 12-30-2007, 12:46 AM

Not a trick, but what helped me....

one of my closest friends said that she slept w/ her DD on her chest b/c it was the only way she and baby could sleep. Proved true w/ us, too. I learned to feel comfy sleeping on my back and safe in my bed w/ her and it worked out great.

And sleep when baby sleeps. Seriously.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:22 AM

If you plan to breast feed have someone one you call for questions, I had know idea how hard it would be after I got home. Sleep when baby does, laundry and cleaning can wait! DS slept on my chest for 3 months till I felt ok with putting him next to me.(which is where he is right now) Accept all free meal offers from friends and family. Remember it is alright to cry for no reason! D%#* hormones! Above all enjoy those first few weeks they go by so fast! Congrats and Good Luck!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:42 AM

Plan ahead for the fact that your house should and will become a disaster area. Recruit people to come over (family, friends) so that you can take a nap. When they get there, DON'T do laundry or straighten have a bath or a nap or both. Have some nice snacks ready to go for yourself in case the little one won't sleep and you spend a lot of time up at night those first few weeks.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrose9 View Post
:

Also, kind of off topic...but if you can, film everything. I remember my son being handed to me by the midwife and then only flickers of memories of those first 48 hours.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:57 PM

DS slept much better when he was next to me. I hadn't really planned on co-sleeping but I'm really glad I did. We realized that the first night in the hospital at 3am when he slept for 3 hrs straight in my arms. I also wasn't expecting to cry so much for no reason. It lasted about 2 weeks. One minute I'd be laughing and the next I'd be crying. Also, the only thing you should be doing is taking care of the baby (and yourself). Sleep when the baby sleep. The cleaning can wait. Anyone else can do that.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:49 PM

Make sure that YOU are comfortable. I did not take my own needs into consideration and many many months of chiropractic and massage therapy later I finally had to take it seriously. We will be purchasing the Humanity family bed, which is basically a huge bolster pillow attached to a big pad that stays on the mattress. I simply have to have support for my back, especially in those last few weeks of pregnancy and early months post partum. If you don't want to spend the $$$ on something like that, get lots of pillows so that you can position them in supporting ways. All that being said, I spend at least the first two weeks sleeping half-sitting up with the baby at the boob. I never mean to do that, but I have a habit of nursing the babe, sitting up to change their diaper, then falling asleep on the pillows I used to support my back when I sat up to change the baby. Try not to do this, you'll inevitably ruin your neck!
Old 12-30-2007, 07:51 PM

Yeah seriously, just sleep! That first night with all three of my kids was the first and last time they slept well for a loooooong time. After that it all goes downhill (in terms of sleep only of course!).

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
Old 12-30-2007, 08:26 PM

My newborn DD slept alot during the day, like most newborns, but was wide awake at night for the first week or so. Not all newborns do this, but many do and I wish I'd known a)that it might happen that way and b)that it usually reverses itself quickly. We were thrown for a loop with the little backwards day and night thing, and it would have been easier to weather if we had just gone with it and not worried so much. 'Go with it and don't worry so much' would have made most things easier, actually

Enjoy your baby!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I wish I'd known that babies often ingest a lot of mom's blood while being born and then cough it up the first night they're home. Our first morning after bringing Dd home, Dh and I woke up to find her head surrounded by blood. You can imagine the panic that ensued and the frantic call to the midwife! Fortunately, it's normal.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 12-31-2007, 02:32 AM

The best piece of advice I got for that first week or two was from my SIL. She told me not to be a slave to the clock. There is no night and day, only 24 hrs. So don't feel like you MUST be alseep at 3am or must be awake at 3pm. Just sleep when you can, whenever you can, and don't worry about the rest. Night and day will settle down after the first few weeks.

Also, learn the nursing lying on your side. That was the second best thing I learned.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:44 AM

Sleeping with the newborn on our chest was the only way we could all sleep at first. Dad's chest served as well as mom's. I think most newborns need to be as close as possible to his/her parents to help get adjusted to life on the outside.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:13 AM

I didn't know that they'd sleep like angels for the first few weeks and then all hell would break loose! Seriously though, I would suggest getting as much sleep as you can to recuperate while the little one is passed out most of the first few weeks (hopefully!). Of course, co-sleeping and breastfeeding all the while!

User Tag List