Anyone else with a night owl? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2008, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My babe goes to bed at midnight. I've never believed in bedtimes (I've been a night owl all my life) and think we should sleep when our body says sleep. Are we alone? I feel a bit strange having a baby with a bedtime of midnight.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
That's us! My 6 yo is still going strong at 3am. She's been this way from birth and we never really had a reason to change.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:03 AM

We have a night owl. Not surprising since both DH and I are too. I have never been able to successfully get her to sleep early, so we basically follow her lead and put her to bed (often in multiple tries) any time between 7:30 p.m. to midnight. Every day is different, but on average, she goes to bed around 9 p.m. Tonight it was 10:40 p.m. Yesterday it was 8 p.m.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 AM

I'm a night owl. When my first daughter was born my hubby was still working so he'd get up early in the am to leave. So when she woke up shortly after that I was exhausted. This only happened for a couple of days because she adjusted to my sleeping schedule, which is to say that she was up late and slept in. My mornings were heaven, I'd wake up to this smiling, happy baby girl cooing beside me

We don't really have strict bedtimes either, usually the girls just stay up and read until they fall asleep. But this is an issue if they're spending the night with family then they're left lying awake and lonely while everyone else is snoozing.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My baby girl sometimes stays up past 2am. Like tonight. Sigh.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:06 PM

DD has been a night owl like us since before she was born, LOL. It was even worse when she was awake at 3am with the hiccups and I wanted to sleep.
Now she has a bit of a routine (but its changed in the last couple of weeks, lol) she has a midmorning nap and then her afternoon nap anywhere from 3 - 8pm. She is usually out when daddy gets home from work at 12 30 but then she's up to play with him for a bit.
It works for us so we dont worry about it
Misha

DS (03/10) &  DD (06/07) both were/are : waterbirth.jpg homebirth.jpg winner.jpg

Old 01-01-2008, 01:45 PM

Meet my DD - Deedle Bug AKA Crazy Girl...

A "good" night is her going to bed around 11pm and sleeping till 4:15am, then being up for the day.

Or she sleeps a few hours, then gets up to "party" from 1am - 5am...(umm, yep, that was a few nights ago). And she's 18 mo.s old. She's always been like this. Always.

We stopped fighting it and just let her stay up with us. I'm with DS, he and I can go to bed at 7:30pm and sleep 12 hours. DH is the one who doesn't need sleep so he and DD spend a LOT of quality time together!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:09 AM

22 mo DS just finally went to sleep at 4 am.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 AM

My daughter has always went to sleep late (anywhere between 10pm and 2am) and slept in till around noon. We joke with friends that we live like rock stars. There is no way she could go to bed at 7pm. And it doesn't matter when she naps. Early or late it's usually midnight when she goes to bed. I figure with her nap she is getting at least 13 hours of sleep a day. That's pretty good.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 AM

Well, I *thought* we had a night owl until I read the pp's. Ds goes to bed between 10.30 and 11.30 (daylight savings time here). I only know one other toddler with as late a bedtime - everyone else is horrified.

So glad to know there are others out there. I remember I used to stay up and read by torchlight until after midnight, when I was as young as 7. So guess he takes after me
Old 01-02-2008, 01:04 PM

It's so good to hear about others with late bedtimes. DD used to go to bed around 7:30 but she's back to 9-10ish. My friend is horrified b/c her daughter goes to bed at 6:30. Yes, 6:30.

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
Old 01-02-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Haley View Post
It's so good to hear about others with late bedtimes. DD used to go to bed around 7:30 but she's back to 9-10ish. My friend is horrified b/c her daughter goes to bed at 6:30. Yes, 6:30.
My DH is rarely home from work by 6:30. Does the child get to spend anytime with daddy? Does the child get to eat dinner with the rest of the family? What time does the child get up? If I had DS asleep by 6:30 I'd be lucky if he didn't have me up at 4:00 am. Ofcourse last night he did have me up at 4:00 am but at least I got to look forward to sleeping in late with him.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 01-02-2008, 07:50 PM

All three of my children have had natural rhythms with a late bedtime just like me. It did change when the older two went to school, but they fall back into their natural routine during the summer.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post
That's us! My 6 yo is still going strong at 3am. She's been this way from birth and we never really had a reason to change.

stormborn, I'm just curious, does she go to school? And how does this affect you or DH?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:59 AM

Old 01-03-2008, 08:01 AM

Old 01-03-2008, 08:03 AM

Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy View Post
stormborn, I'm just curious, does she go to school? And how does this affect you or DH?
No, we homeschool. Dh and I are nocturnal by nature too. He's self employed so he sets his own hours. I work night shift on the weekends so we can all have health and dental ins. We really didn't plan on having this schedule but it works out great for all of us. I really do think some people are just wired that way~ I remember as a child lying awake until 3 or 4 am no matter how early I was put to bed. We're just lucky enough to be able to go with it.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:07 AM

Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 AM

Old 01-03-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
No, we homeschool. Dh and I are nocturnal by nature too. He's self employed so he sets his own hours. I work night shift on the weekends so we can all have health and dental ins. We really didn't plan on having this schedule but it works out great for all of us. I really do think some people are just wired that way~ I remember as a child lying awake until 3 or 4 am no matter how early I was put to bed. We're just lucky enough to be able to go with it.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:

User Tag List