5mo waking 4x per night... is this normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-04-2008, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She used to only wake twice but over the last month this has gotten progressively worse. She wakes and cries until the boob hits her mouth and then she falls back to sleep within 10 minutes. It is just very frustrating and we are all sleep deprived.

Any advice or reasoning?

Thanks,
#2 of 9 Old 01-04-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
She used to only wake twice but over the last month this has gotten progressively worse. She wakes and cries until the boob hits her mouth and then she falls back to sleep within 10 minutes. It is just very frustrating and we are all sleep deprived.

Any advice or reasoning?

Thanks,
no advice, just sympathy.

for us, sleep started sucking right at 5 or so months and sucked right on through till...well, now

we have better and worse nights, but on the whole, now is a lot worse than, say, when she was 3 months old. no one tells you sleep can get WORSE, not better. for me that's a lot of the frustration--she was a good sleeper in the beginning so i thought we were out of the woods

the brightside is, she slept well before, she'll sleep well again. sometime.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#3 of 9 Old 01-04-2008, 01:34 AM

Hi there, and mama!

It is really frustrating when they change their schedules, isn't it?

My DS is 4 months and I *think* wakes 3-5 times per night to nurse, but I'm not exactly sure as I don't always wake completely and usually fall right back to sleep.

Do you cosleep? I think that cosleeping and a noise-machine help our family A LOT. I find that I'm better able to go back to sleep with the white noise. My DP and I both normally feel quite rested.

Are you low on calcium and magnesium? Make sure that you are getting enough so that you can sleep well when you are able.

HTH!!

Living simply with the loves of my life! :::
#4 of 9 Old 01-04-2008, 01:35 AM

Months 5-6 = :

When my ds was five months, he was waking every 45 minutes. It went on through month six and then he progressively started sleeping in longer chunks. This is what I have heard/read from many other mommas. Whatever the case, it is so hard when sleeping goes from good to bad. It just seems unfair...you finally get a handle on things and then poof! .
#5 of 9 Old 01-04-2008, 01:37 AM

My babe started waking more frequently around this time, because he was teething and learning to crawl. He also had a growth spurt that caused him to nurse more. Milestones of any sort will cause your babe to wake and eat more frequently.

Good luck mama! My ds is 10 mo and he's still waking 4-6 times per night, but the good news is that I barely notice anymore. We've become very good at sleep nursing.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#6 of 9 Old 01-04-2008, 02:14 AM

These responses are so not what I wanted to be reading this morning I'm right there with you, so I can sympathize. My dd just started waking up for two or three hours every morning at 3 or 4. That's in addition to the 4+ wakings at night that began around 3.5 months. I'm.so.tired.

Ok, it's nearly time to head back up for our nap. No one told me we'd have a *nap* that started at 5:15am!

Hang in there!
#7 of 9 Old 01-04-2008, 02:21 AM

my ds is 8 months now and he has been waking every hour for the last three weeks I am exhausted.

he can pull himself up now, and crawl and sit. so I often will lay him down asleep only to have him push himself up to sitting while still sleeping then start crying It will get better. My 2 year old asks to go to bed although even she doesn't sleep through the night 100%
#8 of 9 Old 01-04-2008, 02:38 AM

It's really normal. At that age I would focus on working on getting the boob in her mouth as quickly as possible- helping her to latch on her own. And getting comfortable enough that you can sleep through most of the nursings.

-Angela
#9 of 9 Old 01-04-2008, 03:14 AM

Yup! My 6 month old starting sleeping poorly at the end of 4 months...after sleep for 7 hours straight since she was 2.5 weeks old! I just kind of went with the flow since we partially cosleep.

So, its totally normally and has a lot to do with developmental stuff going on around this time! This article at Ask Moxie is worth reading.

For us, I now tend to only sort of wake up when she fusses and then I pop a boob and we both fall quickly back to sleep.

We are on the verge of crawling so the slept has been THE worst the past two nights!

Good Luck!

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page