Putting two kids diff ages in same room? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 3.5 yo and a 16.5 month old DDs. The oldest sleeps through the night, and has pretty much since she was 18 months old. She is a very sound sleeper, like my DH. The little one is a terrible sleeper. She coslept until 11 months, when she became a kicker, but transitioned well to her crib. I nurse her in the beginning of the night and put her down awake. She can put her self to sleep most nights. She will sleep for 3-4 hours, then the fun begins. She starts waking every 1.5-2 hours. She is a screamer, she gets downright hysterical if we don't get in there fast enough or do what she wants. I've tried starting nightweaning, sending DH in there to cuddle with her, but when she wants me, no one else will do.

My question is, do you have children that are (were) this age who sleep in the same room? Does having a sibling there help the other child sleep? Do you think it would disturb my eldest to have her sister in there waking? Like I said, she's a very heavy sleeper. We've vacationed before and all slept in the same room, and she slept through her sister waking (this was when we were still cosleeping though, so it wasn't as loud). I'm desperate for sleep, and I'm hoping for any solution. The girls get along very well, and I know they won't be playing at night (we'll put the little one to sleep first). Is there any way this could help her sleep, or am I just so sleep-deprived that I'm delusional?

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#2 of 3 Old 01-07-2008, 12:01 PM

I don't have a lot of time right now so sorry if this is really short. I have my two girls in the same room; the older is 3 1/2 and the younger is 11 months old and a crib sleeper. I worried a lot about putting them in together; DD2 and my son can't share a room because they are twins and very sensitive to each other and wake each other up a thousand times a night. I was worried DD2 would wake my older DD, but what I found is that kids that age who are getting lots of exercise during the day and eating well generally sleep like a pile of rocks! DD2 wakes up during the night to nurse and yells for me, "Ma MMMMAAAAAAAA!" and sometimes it takes me a few minutes to get there, and DD1 never budges. The same thing in the morning; DD2 wakes up a whole hour earlier than DD1 and yells for me and DD1 sleeps right through it.

Plus, DD2 used to wake up two or three times, but in with her sister I only hear from her once, if that.

So yeah, I think it can work really well, depending on the individual kids, of course. And I think my DDs are closer because of it.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 3 Old 01-07-2008, 04:52 PM

:
I have DSs the same age and have been wondering how this would work... DS#2 is still in with us and I am starting to want to transition him out

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page