transitioning from co-sleeping to crib? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems that every few weeks I freak out because my baby (now 4 1/2 months) is touching me like 23 hours a day. He sleeps next to me nestled between my body and arm (easy bfing position) and generally will nap really well in the Moby wrap. I enjoy having him close to me, but I need my space, too. The times I've put him down (surrounded by pillows) he'll wake up between sleep cycles, after about 40 minutes. One time we tried putting him, swaddled, in a bassinet right next to my side of the bed and he woke up every 30-45 minutes the whole night. Totally not worth it. So we decided that at 6 months we want him in his own room in his own crib. Does anyone have any advice about how to do this and things I should be doing now so it's an easy transition?? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh5 View Post
Does anyone have any advice about how to do this and things I should be doing now so it's an easy transition?? TIA.
Yeah- don't try to do it at 6 months.

6 months is a notoriously hard time for sleep. Even the "good" sleepers tend to have regressions around there. I would plan instead on working on him sleeping next to you, but a tiny bit further away (and increase the tiny bit as possible) now.

There is no way I'd have a 6 month old sleeping in a different room personally.

good luck.

-Angela
Old 01-21-2008, 11:46 PM

Around 4-5 months our baby was a "decent" sleeper. All hell broke loose at 6 months and lasted until a few weeks ago, when we did indeed transition (rather painlessly, I might add) to the crib. It's been a life saver for me in some ways to get a couple of the bedtime hours to myself. I would still be happily co-sleeping if I wasn't 8.5 months pregnant! I still try to get daily snuggles in for naptimes. Anyway, the point is... I agree that 6 months isn't a great time to transition. For us it was about 9.5 months that worked. One day he wouldn't sleep anywhere but on my body, and the next day he decided that he liked sleeping in his crib the whole night long. Who knows how crazy little baby minds work! But until HE was ready there would have been NO way for any of us to get him to sleep alone.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Angela. We live in a small 2- bedroom apartment, so "the other room" is only about 15 ft away. We've been parenting according to his lead, but sometimes I really need my own space (not to mention time w/ DH) and I don't want to go crazy.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:16 AM

We moved DS out between 12 and 13 months (which lasted all of a month.) We did it because he was so mobile in his sleep that he actually slept better with more space. He woke up very often and I went in and rocked him down over and over again. It just wasn't ever worth it to me. He starts out in a queen sized bed now and is in with us at his first waking. I put him all the way next to DH in our king sized bed but he always ends up pushing me off at some point in the night.

My best advice is if you are really serious about moving him that you will have to take a few months of little to no sleep for anyone, but eventually it will get better.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)

User Tag List