Mattress covers to stop off gassing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-26-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know of any larger sized alternatives to the "Babe Safe" polyethylene mattress covers? They are only crib sized and DS sleeps either with us or on his new twin (right beside our bed).

Apparently 5ml food grade polyethylene is 'safe', but I can't seem to find any suppliers that don't sell it by the ROLL (way more than I'd need to 'gift wrap' our mattresses). Anyone know of anything safe?

Our new king size has a topper with (I've been told) no flame retardants but we'd like to wrap it up if poss before the new babe comes in June. (Read far too much about mattress chemicals and newborns lately). We can't get an organic twin here for less than $1200 +tax, so we're hoping to cover DS' twin....

??

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#2 of 7 Old 01-27-2008, 02:20 AM

I've been wondering about this, too. :

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#3 of 7 Old 01-27-2008, 10:48 AM

Would the dust mite covers stop/slow down off-gassing? They are a poly-cotton blend with a polyurethane lining. You can get them at Linens N Things. Do you have that in the U.S.? Sears also has them, I think.
#4 of 7 Old 01-28-2008, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
Would the dust mite covers stop/slow down off-gassing? They are a poly-cotton blend with a polyurethane lining. You can get them at Linens N Things. Do you have that in the U.S.? Sears also has them, I think.
Fabrics don't do anything to prevent off gassing, and it's polyurethane we're personally trying to protect ourselves from.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#5 of 7 Old 09-10-2013, 12:41 AM

#6 of 7 Old 09-10-2013, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

natura company and naturepedic make organic natural mattress covers. Is that what you are looking for?

#7 of 7 Old 09-10-2013, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I am not sure exactly what you are looking for- a baby sized mattress, a twin mattress, or a mattress cover. but this store has all those things. If you can afford an organic mattress for your kid I would recommend it.

http://www.daxstores.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page