Maybe he really NEEDS milk at night. 17mo DS is 19 lbs. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2008, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been working on semi-nightweaning for a month now. He is down to nursing only once or twice and sleeps 4-5 hours at the start of the night compared to waking every 2 hours, so there has been some improvements. BUT, when he nursed he seems sooo hungry, he just glugs the milk back and changed sides twice before he is done and turns away to go to sleep. I nurse him at 3 or 4am, and usually he wakes at 5 or 6 to nurse again. If its 6 he is up for the day. My ds is only 19lbs, which is below the 3rd percentile on the charts (has been since about 6 or 7 months). I am struggling with the decision to try and get him to give up night nursing all together because he is such a little guy and he seems hungry to me. Has anyone else had this experience? Do you think he is really hungry? Once night weaned do they start to eat more in the day? He is such a light eater.

Thanks for your insight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 03:15 AM

I also have a small boy - under third percentile and he began eating at Mom's All-Night Buffet a couple of months ago. I just let him eat despite the sore back cause I figure he needs it. He is so busy and easily distractable during the day that he gets his best feeds during the night. But medical opinion seems to be that at that age they should be able to go through the night and get their nutritional needs met during the day. It's a tough call.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Old 01-31-2008, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Vancouver mom, your little one is a lot younger (9 months?) so I can see why you want to continue with it for now. But at 17 months, I don't know if he still "needs" it. (Mom "needs" more sleep!)
Old 01-31-2008, 03:27 AM

From your description it certainly sounds like he's nursing for nutrition. I would be very hesitant to cut the last couple of nursings.

-Angela
Old 01-31-2008, 03:30 AM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. My dd only nursed till 15 months (I was pg with ds and she weaned herself) so I can't really say.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Old 01-31-2008, 04:07 AM

mine is 2 now, 23 lbs. and around 3%. we still do 2 night feedings and it is exhausting but she's a picky eater so the more nutrients she gets, the better I feel. As far as the medical world-I dunno about that. I think some kids really do need to eat more. I can barely make it 8 hrs. w/o food and since some docs believe toddlers should sleep 10-12 hrs./night, that means they expect them to not eat half the day!
I would love to know about your last question-if less night feedings means better day eating??

"I'm so crafty, I make people" DD (01/06) and her much anticipated sibling (07/10) with my sweet DH (07/02)
Old 01-31-2008, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
From your description it certainly sounds like he's nursing for nutrition. I would be very hesitant to cut the last couple of nursings.

-Angela
I agree with Angela.

I think it sounds like your child's body is trying desperately to grow and he really needs way more milk and nursing all night long (while you sleep hopefully) is a fantastic way to get it.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC mom View Post
I have been working on semi-nightweaning for a month now. He is down to nursing only once or twice and sleeps 4-5 hours at the start of the night compared to waking every 2 hours, so there has been some improvements. BUT, when he nursed he seems sooo hungry, he just glugs the milk back and changed sides twice before he is done and turns away to go to sleep. I nurse him at 3 or 4am, and usually he wakes at 5 or 6 to nurse again. If its 6 he is up for the day. My ds is only 19lbs, which is below the 3rd percentile on the charts (has been since about 6 or 7 months). I am struggling with the decision to try and get him to give up night nursing all together because he is such a little guy and he seems hungry to me. Has anyone else had this experience? Do you think he is really hungry? Once night weaned do they start to eat more in the day? He is such a light eater.

Thanks for your insight
I'd say he NEEDS it. This doesn't sound at all like comfort nursing. This is for nutrition.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.

User Tag List