if i give formula for feed before sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my son is 12 months old.. and seeing as i am offering solids in the way... wouldn't it be better if i offer him formula milk at night to keep him full for the rest of the night(after i breastfeed him.. sort of like a top up)... cuz apparently formula fills their stomach more??

i'd really like better sleep.. we currently co-sleep and breastfeed but am up numerous times for a quick feed(although i just roll over and put the boob in his mouth.. i cant sleep in the position that he feeds in)

anyone try this? worked or failed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008, 06:14 PM

I wouldn't do it. Any formula could decrease your supply. You could try a filling bedtime snack, maybe oatmeal?

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
Old 02-07-2008, 06:27 PM

Better? Absolutely not. Breastmilk is always better than formula. Have you read the ingredients in formula?

-Angela
Old 02-07-2008, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

yeah but my son doesnt eat very well so at night i cant give him anything to fill him up. im talking about after his last feed at the breast... to top up.
I mean he is getting some solid food in the day.. how is that different from formula? should i then offer cows milk??

I have no idea whats in formula??
Old 02-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you have no idea what's in formula, why would you give it to your son?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie143 View Post
yeah but my son doesnt eat very well so at night i cant give him anything to fill him up. im talking about after his last feed at the breast... to top up.
I mean he is getting some solid food in the day.. how is that different from formula? should i then offer cows milk??

I have no idea whats in formula??
Here's a run down of one formula's ingredients. Can you even identify what half of them are? 'Cause I can't.

Quote:
(From Enfamil Website)
Ingredients: Powder: Nonfat milk, lactose, vegetable oil (palm olein, soy, coconut, and high oleic sunflower oils), whey protein concentrate, and less than 1%: Mortierella alpina oil*, Crypthecodinium cohnii oil†, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D3, vitamin E acetate, vitamin K1, thiamin hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin B6 hydrochloride, vitamin B12, niacinamide, folic acid, calcium pantothenate, biotin, ascorbic acid, choline chloride, inositol, calcium carbonate, magnesium oxide, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, cupric sulfate, potassium chloride, potassium citrate, potassium hydroxide, sodium selenite, taurine, L-carnitine, nucleotides (adenosine 5'-monophosphate, cytidine 5'-monophosphate, disodium guanosine 5'-monophosphate, disodium uridine 5'-monophosphate).
Formula is for when breastmilk is not available. Your breastmilk is available.

Why on earth would you offer a substandard substitute?

-Angela
Old 02-07-2008, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's a good article from kellymom.com that cites studies that have shown giving formula/solids at night do not help babies sleep better at night.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ids-sleep.html
Old 02-07-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
should i then offer cows milk??
Is he a cow?

Of course not. Breastmilk is STILL perfect for him.

-Angela
Old 02-07-2008, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

so why do some mothers give formula then if it was so horrible? i am still breastfeeding at 12 months. i do NOT intend on stopping but i obviously think my child is still hungry when he sucks me dry and constantly wakes up at night. instead of judging me how about you try and come up with helpful solutions or atleast tell me What is wrong with it??? i didnt ask you to judge.. i came here to get information and be more informed. if i knew what was in formula and didnt mind it would i be posting here in the first place? no.. i'd be giving it to him.
I came for knowledge about what is best for a child of his age.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

umm.. then why do people give children solids and food? i thought formula would be concerned part of food.. thats why i asked. i thought it was different once their bodies were dealing with food and it wasnt exclusive breastfeeding?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:44 PM

As a formula-feeder (after an unsuccessful attempt to BFAR) I'd like to tell you that giving your son formula will not necessarily help him sleep more. My son is 14 months old and gets formula day and night. He has never, ever slept through the night.

So if the only reason you are going to give formula is in the hopes that he will sleep more, I definitely wouldn't do it. As previous posters have mentioned, it could affect your supply. If you have breastmilk, breastfeed.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 02-07-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
umm.. then why do people give children solids and food? i thought formula would be concerned part of food.. thats why i asked. i thought it was different once their bodies were dealing with food and it wasnt exclusive breastfeeding?
Formula isn't part of food, it is a breastmilk substitute. Since you have breastmilk available, you don't have any need for it that I can see.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 02-07-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
so why do some mothers give formula then if it was so horrible?
Answering in parts- feeling scattered today...

Why? Because formula makers are BRILLIANT salespeople. They've convinced people to feed something that is PROVEN to be significantly sub-standard to their babies. Sure- it has it's place. It is the best currently available replacement when breastmilk is not available for whatever reason.

BUT it is significantly substandard. It is a chemical concoction. Why would you feed your child a chemical concoction when the perfect food is available?

-Angela
Old 02-07-2008, 06:48 PM

At a year it is very normal for him to be waking to nurse. Even at 2yrs a lot still wake a lot to nurse. You might try working with him on not nursing as much say when he wakes to nurse instead do a back rub or even a sippy cup of water. But in all honesty I wouldnt be comfy night weaning at a year at all. Not even cutting back since young ones do most of their growing at night and bm at night is a bit different and helps with that.

I am sorry you are sleep deprived. I have BTDT and it sucks. But this time in the long run is only a short time. I know not much help when you are right in the middle of it but it will pass.

There is no way I would give a baby formula to try and get them to sleep longer it is just to hard on their gut.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 02-07-2008, 06:48 PM

I understand that you want to get better sleep, but...
No, formula will not do that.
More likely, formula will make him sick to his stomach and miserable. and have you SMELLED formula poop? ugh! it's HORRID. and his breath would be horrid.
and he probably would throw a fit about it because it TASTES horrid.
Don't waste your money.
Formula doesn't fill their stomach more. It fills it the same amount. It's just that formula sits like a lead lump in their poor little tummy instead of being digested. don't torture yourself or him. Just don't do it.
Most moms that give formula do it because they can't breastfeed, don't know any better, they don't care, or someone lied to them and they can't be bothered to read for themselves.

Good on ya for checking!
As far as the sucking dry thing...well, it may just be that he wants to suck.
and babies are SUPPOSED to wake up at night. keeps them breathin'. 12 months old is not usually old enough to sleep through the night.

How many times during the night are you feeding him?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 PM

Formula is not actually more filling, it seems to keep them full longer because is more difficult for your baby to digest.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

so why is it if i even ASK about formula i get judged on ? i mean i have made it exclusively breastfeeding through tough situations and going strong here at 12 months(which is more than quite a few people).. i am WORRIED that my child is still hungry since he has decreased eating solid food(he purses lips and shakes no for food).. so im not looking at formula as a substitute for breastmilk.. im looking at it as a substitute for food?? because he will not eat food and i thought it may be more filling. i dont want my child to be hungry and me be so stubborn about breastfeeding that im not doing right for my child, ya know?? being concerned for him doesnt make me less of a mother
Old 02-07-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
i do NOT intend on stopping but i obviously think my child is still hungry when he sucks me dry and constantly wakes up at night. instead of judging me how about you try and come up with helpful solutions or atleast tell me What is wrong with it??? i didnt ask you to judge.. i came here to get information and be more informed. if i knew what was in formula and didnt mind it would i be posting here in the first place? no.. i'd be giving it to him.
I came for knowledge about what is best for a child of his age.
If you think your supply is lacking- look to increase your supply There are LOTS of good ways to do that. Try increasing your water or adding oatmeal. Try researching herbs (fenugreek is great for increasing milk) Encourage frequent nursing to add more stimulation for your supply.

Breastmilk is best. As long as there is breastmilk available and there is no other extenuating circumstances (severe allergies or metabolic conditions) -breastmilk is ALWAYS better than formula. Period.

Formula is great as a MEDICINE. As a medical supply it is wondrous- truly.

When it is not needed for MEDICAL reasons- it is simply a money maker.

-Angela
Old 02-07-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
so im not looking at formula as a substitute for breastmilk.. im looking at it as a substitute for food?? because he will not eat food and i thought it may be more filling. i dont want my child to be hungry and me be so stubborn about breastfeeding that im not doing right for my child, ya know?? being concerned for him doesnt make me less of a mother
Formula is NOT a substitute for food. It's a substitute for breastmilk.

Many (MANY) babies aren't really eating ANY solids at 12 months. At that age my dd had not yet EVER eaten more than about a tablespoon TOTAL in a whole day.

Breastmilk meets their nutritional needs. If they need more breastmilk- then there are ways to increase supply, as mentioned, that should be attempted before resorting to formula.

-Angela
Old 02-07-2008, 06:54 PM

I switched my dd to toddler formula at 18 months old, b/c my milk dried up due to pregnancy. She did not sleep any better. She now gets WCM and EBM at 27 months old, and still does not sleep any better. Thats been my experience. I hope you get some much needed sleep somehow!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:54 PM

No one has said that I dont think natalie. If he is still hungry after nursing he could be going through a growth spurt.

When you give him food do you offer to nurse first or offer food first? If you are giving him food first then your supply could be dropping a bit. Every nursing session missed=less milk your body thinks it needs to make. So if he is stilly truly hungry and not just wanting to suck then I would advice cutting out solids for a while and only bfed so that your supply goes back up.

At a year they can still do very well without any solid food at all and only live on bm.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

im not all clued up on formula as i havent given him any before.. thus i haven't smelled it.. nor do i know whats in it thats why i posted here.
i know breast is best thats why i dont want to stop.. i love the bonding.. i love the health benefits... i love everything about it.
but i looked at formula as a substitute for solids... after reading this thread i know that it is not... but got judged wrong because of that.

lol im fine with the night wakings.. once or twice i can deal with.. but 5 times recently? its like his sleep just gets worse and worse... since we co-sleep i roll over and feed him but the position we are in i cant just sleep like that(and i dnt want to sleep while feeding because i dont wanna smother him by mistake!) so i stay awake while he feeds.. and sometimes he just sucks for comfort...) i need to function as well and i have been dealing with a terrible sleeper for 12 months Plus most of my pregnancy i couldnt sleep a wink... body weight was just too much so im dealing with like a year and a half of sleep deprived nights.
I also thought that since hes taking in less solids his sleep got worse and that could be due to more hunger... thats all..
for those that did reply with nonjudgmental and helpful answers... i thank you
Old 02-07-2008, 06:59 PM

I'm totally not intent on judgin' ya, hon. I know someone probably told you that if you give your son formula he'll "sleep better" cause it makes him "fuller".
They lied to you. Maybe not intentionally, but it is a lie nonetheless.

Have you tried pumping and having your partner give him the bottle? Does he even drink out of bottles?
It's really not a big problem to not eat solids when they're 12 months old. A lot of people might tell you that, but a lot of the same people will try and convince you that 6 months of BF is "enough". We both know that's not true.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
lol im fine with the night wakings.. once or twice i can deal with.. but 5 times recently? its like his sleep just gets worse and worse... since we co-sleep i roll over and feed him but the position we are in i cant just sleep like that(and i dnt want to sleep while feeding because i dont wanna smother him by mistake!) so i stay awake while he feeds.. and sometimes he just sucks for comfort...) i need to function as well and i have been dealing with a terrible sleeper for 12 months Plus most of my pregnancy i couldnt sleep a wink... body weight was just too much so im dealing with like a year and a half of sleep deprived nights.
I also thought that since hes taking in less solids his sleep got worse and that could be due to more hunger... thats all..
for those that did reply with nonjudgmental and helpful answers... i thank you
This is what I would work on. At 12 months old, you're not going to smother him

Find a way to get comfortable enough to sleep while he nurses. Try propping yourself up with pillows- that often helps.

I found when I could sleep through the nursings I was much less resentful of them.

-Angela
Old 02-07-2008, 07:00 PM

It sounds like he is definatly going through a growth spurt. The good sleeping and now he is waking more to nurse. Once your supply catches up things should settle down for you.

Like Angela said at a year old if you get him in a spot were his breathing is compromised he will move, I know because I have woke a many of a time to one of mine snuffling and moving around so they could breath, they were not totally smothered but they we pretty tight agains my boob

Again I know what it is like to be sleep deprived. My dd woke every hour or less till she was 2yo to nurse. I wasnt sure I would even have more kids after that but I did and it went better thank goodness

If you can at all try to nap during the day or go to bed earlier and let your dp take care of him for a little while even a good solid hour of sleep can make all the difference.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

i read in a book that breastmilk makes up most of their nutrition up until one year.. so i assumed after a year solids would be doing that?

i dont think that he lacks breastmilk in the day because i am a full time mom.. i breastfeed on demand.. basically he breastfeeds on no schedule... sometimes 30 minutes after a feed.. sometimes 10 minutes later.. sometimes 2-3 hours.. thats why i dont think my milk supply isn't enough to sustain him in the day... i just think that my milk isn't 'filling' enough which is why he needs to constantly drink so often even into the night.

im also confused cuz at one of my playgroups one of the moms said she cut back on breastfeeding(her child used to be very clingy.. he has gotten more independant so i asked her why and thats the answer she gave).. so i said oh ok so what are you giving instead? formula?cows milk? so she said no... im giving him food and he feeds around 3 times a day...
my son is the opposite.. he feeds all throughout the day and night and hardly eats anything... theres a few other moms like that as well...
but i know that they may not follow the AP beliefs that i have that MDC follows.. which is why i came here
Old 02-07-2008, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

and one other thing which has really been working on me inside...
alot of my friends have babies the same age as my son.. and ALL of their babies are sleeping through the night.. if not then only waking up once.. i do SO much for my son he is everything to me.. i spend loads of time with him but i feel somewhat like a failure in the way of being a good mother. i mean a good mother has it all together? she knows how to help her baby sleep through the night(without crying)... has her baby on a flexible schedule so he knows what to expect each day... he knows his bed time etc etc... i feel like im not doing a good job at the MOST important job in the whole world... raising my child

these other kids are happy and exploring the world and they sleep through...
Old 02-07-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
If you have no idea what's in formula, why would you give it to your son?
:
Old 02-07-2008, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

also.. now that i am thinking about it clearly.. maybe he isnt very hungry at night.. i think that he doesnt know HOW to sleep without breastfeeding so everytime he wakes up.. the only way he knows how to go back to sleep is to breastfeed.. i dont know how to change this.. any suggestions? ive tried pantley's PPO(pulling out before fully asleep) but he gets really worked up and mad... SOMETIMES it works sometimes it doesnt. how do i help him fall asleep on his own with me next to him.. patting him... i think if he could fall asleep without breastfeeding he wouldnt wake up much....
also, i dont think i'll be giving formula. i had no idea that formula itself smelled badly or tasted yukky.. but that has me wondering... i plan to wean at 2 year(religious reasons)... what would i give him then??
Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
and one other thing which has really been working on me inside...
alot of my friends have babies the same age as my son.. and ALL of their babies are sleeping through the night.. if not then only waking up once.. i do SO much for my son he is everything to me.. i spend loads of time with him but i feel somewhat like a failure in the way of being a good mother. i mean a good mother has it all together? she knows how to help her baby sleep through the night(without crying)... has her baby on a flexible schedule so he knows what to expect each day... he knows his bed time etc etc... i feel like im not doing a good job at the MOST important job in the whole world... raising my child

these other kids are happy and exploring the world and they sleep through...

Some babies wake up a lot. I am nearly 28 years old and I still wake up a lot. My husband sleeps through the night. It is sometimes personality. My friend has a high-needs baby. He is 11 months old and frequently wakes. It is really frustrating for her, but her son is just amazing.

It's not a competition. It's not really about "knowing how to make the baby sleep through the night." Some babies just DONT and it's NOT your fault.

The one suggestion I've seen work for others is chiropractic. Sometimes, babies' spines are out of alignment and this causes them pain and makes them wake frequently. It's a shot in the dark, but it has helped some of my friends' babies sleep through the night (which is defined as 5 hours in a row btw)

User Tag List