Support - Moms of 6-9 month old frequent wakers - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 131 Old 09-17-2003, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lilirose, by dd is doing the same thing. Latching on, then pulling off and crying. Sometimes she just wants to be held, but when I try to put her down she starts to cry again. The thing I don't understand is that during the day she seems just fine, not cranky. So if it was her teeth, wouldn't they bother her during the day too? I also wonder if all this nursing doesn't cause some stomach upset. Early this morning dd was nursing, then she started coughing and vomited a bunch of milk. Then she just sort of collapsed in my arms. Poor baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 131 Old 09-17-2003, 06:28 PM

I just wanted to bring an update with a glimmer of hope. We've been getting dd back on track, and although some nights she doesn't want to go to sleep at 10, there have been a few whem she fell asleep after just a few minutes of nursing, shortly before 10, and a few nights she only nursed twice throughout the entire night. Last night I slept so good, I felt well-rested at 6:30, like I had just awoke from SEVERAL HOURS of DEEP SLEEP. I can't believe I am saying those words!

Island Mommy, I agree with you about the teething thing. It seems that if it's pain, it should be all day, not just when you are going to bed. However, I wouldn't rule it out, either. Sorry I can't offer you any more help than that.
#63 of 131 Old 09-19-2003, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Well, today I noticed that dd has cut one of her top teeth, the other will soon be through and there's another on the way!
#64 of 131 Old 09-20-2003, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Horrendous nights. DD is up crying every 15 minutes or so. I can only assume it is the top teeth. The gums are red and both are coming through. Meanwhile I am walking around like a zombie with a splitting headache. DD is happily playing on the floor right now. I gave dd tylenol at around 3 a.m. last night and she slept for a bit longer at a time...maybe 45 minutes.

How's everyone else doing?
#65 of 131 Old 09-21-2003, 05:51 PM

Weird night last night. Ds has been really tossing and turning the past couple of nights. He woke a few times to nurse. At 3:00 a.m. I finally changed his dipe and nursed him back to sleep. I, however couldn't sleep. At 4:15 dh gets up. I hear the shower, he can't sleep either. Finally at 5:30 I go out to see what dh is up to. Reading the paper and eating his breakkie. I go back to bed. Still no sleep . Ds has slept thru all of this. I lie there, tempted to give up and log on to MDC. Slowly I start to drift off at 6ish. Ds wakes and briefly nurses and then both mama and babe sleep till 7:45. When we get up papa is on round 2 of breakkie. That was our night.
#66 of 131 Old 09-21-2003, 06:09 PM

sorry, having to remove all posts with personal info due to an online stalker.
#67 of 131 Old 09-21-2003, 06:13 PM

Hi All!

I typed a huge post the other day and it got lost..so I had to take some time off-arg!

Still here-still battling the nighttime war...

Have any of you considered food allergies as the culprit? I strongly suspect dd has food allergies-she is bf and I have been careful avoiding all common allergens except wheat her whole life...this week, I decided to take out wheat-it is too soon to tell, but I swear she is napping better and going to sleep better-she used to cry and cry-but the past 3 nights she has gone to sleep nursing or in sling, woken briefly at the 1/2 hr mark and then gone back to sleep for 2.5 hrs...I know this doesn't sound like much, but to me is means watching a whole movie with dh-a first in 9 months!
The rest of the night she is restless, but not wide awake like she was previously-just semi awake and moving around like she is trying to get comfy...I know her 3 top teeth are coming in too..

So anyway-I am curious to see how this wheat thing plays out and just wondered if any of your frequent wakers have food allergies too?
#68 of 131 Old 09-21-2003, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Lilirose, I'm sorry, but I just laughed at your post. Last night I was exhausted, so think I also slept through alot of the nursing. DD is also getting pretty good at getting the nipple in her mouth without my help. I wake up so stiff though, from not moving all night.

Acugirl, I'll be interested to hear if cutting out the wheat helps. DD had bad colic until 4 months old, and I cut out everything, but lost so much weight and was so grumpy from living on rice cakes that I put everything back in except for milk (just a bit in my tea every day). I couldn't really tell if it helped dd, but as a diet for me, it sure worked!

My latest worry is that all this nursing at night is going to result in tooth decay for dd. I'm obsessively reading the dental forum. Ah, there's always something to worry about.
#69 of 131 Old 09-21-2003, 07:44 PM

I know that DD has food sensitivities, but I don't know about allergies. She too had mild colic at the beginning, and I cut everything out. I think she still reacts to me eating dairy, but it is really hard to tell. For my own well being, I have cut dairy out of my diet, and almost wheat as well, so it will be interesting to see the results if i can keep on the diet.

DD still wakes throughout the night, but it is better then when she was teething. she has 8 right now, and i don't see any more coming in ATM, but who knows. She won't accept the paci lately, so i don't know if she's actually hungry or what.
She definetly can not find the nipple with out help from me- i think this is bc my breasts are very small. : So i have to pull her towards me and then we are set. I also have to pick her up to nurse sometimes, as she gets gas (i think) if we nurse laying down the whole night.

#70 of 131 Old 09-22-2003, 11:55 AM

Things are just getting worse at my house. My 7 month old dd will not nap or sleep at night. I don't think she got 30 straight minutes of sleep from 2:30 on. I am so worried. I'm so upset and she is so tired. I am a WOHM and I am sitting at my desk like a zombie. How amy I supposed to work? I am also so worried that my child care provider will lose her patience. I know how close I come to losing mine and she is my angel baby. What if she was just some baby you were being paid to watch?

I'm considering an elimination diet but have to admit I can't imagine how to eat without dairy--I am devoted to cheese. My dd has never reacted to anything--I at hot sause on everything while I was pregnant and after she was born. Can food allergies or sensitivities start this late in the game? I am going to make an appointment at the peds to rule out any kind of medical cause like an ear infection. Hopefully he will take me seriously and not just tell me it is because she has "negative sleep associations."

It is so hard to think straight when you are this tired. I was half way to work this morning when I realized that I had forgotten my breast pump. I had to get off the trolley and turn around. I was 40 minutes late to work....

Mama to two wonderful daughers: 02/03/03 and 10/19/05
#71 of 131 Old 09-22-2003, 12:07 PM

Ugh- Sorry you are having such a hard time Harper.
I would just try to give up dairy for a week and see what happens. I don't know exactly how long it takes to get out of the system, but i think after a few days there would be a change.
IS your DD teething? Sounds like she might be. I have used the homeopathic remedy chamomilla successfully for during the day to help calm her. I have also used it at the beginning of the night, but don't use it in the middle of the night as they are pellets and unless she is fully awake i won't give them to her.
Anyway, you might want to try that out.

#72 of 131 Old 09-22-2003, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the support. I see no evidence of teeth but I can't rule it out. I have heard that they can teeth for quite some time before you see a tooth. I tried some tylenol in the middle of the night last night but it didn't seem to help.

Ok. Starting right now I am off the cow. No more dairy. Wish me luck.

#73 of 131 Old 09-22-2003, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

My gosh Harper, I can't imagine how I'd manage if I was a WOHM. I'm at WAHM, but I only work part-time at that so when I'm really tired, I just don't work. No such luxury for you.

Try not to worry. For sure, take your dd to the ped to see if there is anything amiss. We had a couple of bad nights here where dd was waking every 15 minutes crying. Then, poof, her top 2 teeth came through. The last few nights have been better (well, relatively anyway).

The dentist that moderates the Dental forum says that Baby Motrin is better for soothing teething pain than tylenol.

Forget the negative sleep association thing. If there wasn't something bugging your dd, she'd be able to sleep for at least an hour at a time. That is the regular sleep cycle. When babes start waking more frequently than that, I'm sure something is causing them grief.
#74 of 131 Old 09-23-2003, 09:19 AM

#75 of 131 Old 09-23-2003, 12:40 PM

lilirose- go figure, eh? i am still night nursing (obviously or i wouldn't be addicted to this thread ) and i started last month. i will be curious to see if af returns regularly...

s
#76 of 131 Old 09-23-2003, 11:55 PM

bah, humbug, i have been nursing constantly since baby-loo was born and aunt flow came to visit when i was i think 3-4 months post partum. a friend who pumps 2X per day still doesnt have hers back. the only explanation i have seen is if you have enuf body fat to support another pg then you can get it back but that said i have another friend who weighs more than me and she doesnt have hers back either!!!! sigh.

loo is sick and not sleeping great ofcourse but she was sleeping better just before she got sick or as she got sick. maybe that is why. she is not sleeping completely horrifically but maybe it is b/c the dr at the walk in said to give her dimetapp to decongest her so she could nurse. she had stopped nursing so i was panicked a bit. before that i was not too worried b/c she was eating playing and pooping etc. she is like a newborn. wanting to be held constantly and wanting to sleep on ya. makes me realise how far we have come from the days when it seemed like i couldnt go to the bathroom or eat b/c she was on me. i mean i could do those things with her in the sling but not otherwise

i hope someone is sleeping better than us. it was nice to have a real quiet sleepy day. we dont get many of those anymore either.

i dunno how moms do it who have to work. i made dh come home from work yesterday afternoon b/c i was exhausted and mothered out. i feel spoiled but i like to be able to call for help when i am at my wits end. i started looking for daycare for when i go back/find another job next year. the first place i looked seemed pretty good so that helps me rest a little easier. she is now on the waitlist for 2 daycares for sept 2004!!

gotta get me something to drink and maybe a piece of pumpkin pie. i eat way to much crap when exhausted. how bout the rest of you? chocolate covered ju-jube anyone??
#77 of 131 Old 09-24-2003, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe you're right with your theory Hollyhobbie. I got my AF back at 13 weeks postpartum (boy, was I ticked), then I went on that elimination diet and lost a ton of weight and haven't seen my AF since.

Newsworthy event here. Took dd to the doc today to discuss her third stool sample that has tested positive for reducing substances. Doc says it doesn't make sense, as dd is thriving and usually this test result indicates a malabsorption of nutrients. DD is over 19 lbs at 8 months so she must be absorbing something! Anyway, we're off to see a ped at the beginning of October.

Wouldn't it be something if there was a medical reason for all this nightwaking? Actually, cancel that thought. I don't want there to be anything wrong with dd.

DD is still sleeping poorly. Is anyone's sleep improving?
#78 of 131 Old 09-24-2003, 07:30 AM

#79 of 131 Old 09-24-2003, 08:20 PM

DS was up 5 times last night and 7 times the night before, so I guess we're getting better. However, he didn't go to bed until 11:00 and woke up at 5:30!! I think I'd rather have the early to bed, late to rise schedule back.
#80 of 131 Old 09-24-2003, 09:24 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Here is our current schedule:

11pm: bedtime (and here's where I stay up till midnight to read, because it's my only reading time!)
4am: wake to nurse. If I'm unlucky, it's playtime, but most of the time it's nursing back to sleep.
4:15: wake to nurse. Repeat ad nauseum, switching sizes, every 15 minutes until 7am.
7am: sleep peacefully till 8:30 am
8:30 am: up and at em!

She also takes 4-5 one hour naps at intervals during the day. She nurses to sleep or is rocked to sleep - I think the only time in her life she has ever gone to sleep on her own is in the car. She sleeps with me on my chest until 4am, and then next to me until we get up. God, I'm tired just looking at this schedule, no wonder my left eye is twitching. I sometimes nap with her during the day, but it often makes me more groggy than anything.
It'll change someday, right? I'd be happy at this point to have 2 two hour naps instead of 4 - 5 one hour naps. *sigh*
#81 of 131 Old 09-26-2003, 05:13 PM

Hi Guys!
Well, now I am wheat free, dairy free, soy free, nut free etc...and dd is STILL waking all the time.

I think she has no clue how to go back to sleep with out me-how could she? How will she learn this if I always help her? How do I NOT help her if she just starts screaming and is then wide awake if I don't nurse her immediately when she wakes in the night?

She is napping a HUGE nap in the afternoon-1 hr in the bed and then an hr and 1/2 in the sling...from about 1-3 or 4...bedtime around 7 or 8, wake 1/2 hr later, nurse back to sleep...wake 2-3 hrs later, 2 hrs all night until 3 and then I loose track! She is completely restless all night long tossing and turning.

Woe is me!

I wish I had an answer! I also wish I didn't have a perfect little nursery to look at every day-it just makes me madder!
#82 of 131 Old 09-26-2003, 06:09 PM

#83 of 131 Old 09-27-2003, 12:57 AM

lilirose, i just wanted to say that at about 7.5 months (in the last couple of weeks) baby-loo has made it clear that she wants to put herself to sleep on our bed. she wont be held or rocked and puts her head down on the carpet so we take her into the bedroom and she flops around a bit until she goes to sleep. now, we did not teach her this at all. she decided it was what she wanted to do. i was a bit shocked b/c i thought it would take a very long time as we were not doing anything to encourage it exactly. we thought we would maybe move her onto her own mattress on the floor when she was 2 or 3 ish. and hope that she would start to learn then to put herself to sleep i guess. i mean i didnt think it through that much.

so sometimes at night she crashes around a bit and puts her head on me and goes right back to sleep but other times she cries and needs to nurse which i do not hesitate to do.

i just read this small book from the library called "in search of sleep" subtitled um something like "truth about babies, toddlers and nightwaking" it was one of the most reassuring things i have read on sleep and i didnt expect it to be. it talked alot about temperament of babies and reassured me once again it is nothing i am doing but just the way she (and all of our babies) are. they did a big survey and found lots of babies didnt sleep through. also pointed out the data about babies sleeping is based on formula fed crib sleeping babies and so our "norms" are not normal for co-sleeping extended bf'ing babies.

loo is still sick and so am i but sleep is no worse than usual....go figure. guess it shows that maybe it is just the way she sleeps come hell or high water. i am just thankful she is waking every couple of hrs and not every hr right now.
#84 of 131 Old 09-28-2003, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Oh wow, things are going nuts here. I'm hoping it is due to the 4 teeth DD is cutting right now and it will soon even out. Last night DD fell asleep in the sling at 8, woke when I tried to put her down, nursed, but didn't fall back asleep. We got up and dh played with her until 9:30, then he put her in the sling. She fell asleep, but woke when he put her down and again, didn't nurse to sleep. She started screaming and honestly, I just lied in the bed and looked at her. She was rolling around and trying to crawl and just screaming. Nursing didn't help and neither did holding her. I finally got up at 10:15, gave her some tylenol, then put her back in the sling with her soother and bounced her to sleep on the exercise ball. She was asleep by 10:30, nursed I don't know how many times during the night, was up at 7:15 this morning and has so far had one 15 min nap. It's 11:30 a.m.

However, she's been reasonably happy so far today, so I guess that's a blessing. We took her down to our friend's boat the other night and she cried whenever someone laughed or clapped or made any loud noise. We had to leave because she was just so unhappy. We brought her home and she was happy as could be for another hour and a half before she fell asleep. Go figure.
#85 of 131 Old 09-28-2003, 10:40 PM

island mommy, my friends baby was doing that too when she came to visit. same age baby. i think it is the seperation anxiety thing looking a little different. baby-loo has full blown sep anx since being sick and it is making me a little crazy. now the not sleeping doesnt seem as bad as the never letting me go (again) in the day. she wants up all the time then she wants down then i put her down and she screams and cries. sigh. it is so hard b/c she is 20 lbs and hard to carry at all times. maybe it will improve quickly. she eat a bunch of finger food today so maybe she will sleep better tonight with a fuller tummy. please let me sleep tonight if i have to face a difficult day tomorrow.
#86 of 131 Old 09-30-2003, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm throwing in the towel, waving the white flag. I GIVE UP! I cannot do this anymore. I can't be positive any longer. Something has to change and if she has to cry for hours, so be it.

Boy, it feels good to write something like that and be so sure you can let them cry when it's sunny and bright outside. In the deep, dark depths of the night everything changes.

But seriously, last night dd nursed almost constantly from 7:45 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. I couldn't fall asleep and was getting so mad at her. Every time I tried to take my nipple away she would wake and screech, fuss, flop around, then cry. Finally at 1:00 a.m. I took her to my dh and said I couldn't take it any longer. I left her crying, went back to the bedroom, put in my earplugs and went to sleep. I was crying and frazzled.

I so want to sleep with my dh again. I so want to sleep for more than 45 minutes at a stretch. I want dd to be able to sleep restfully with both her parents, just like Dr Sears and Dr Gordon says (boy, I'm ready to strangle those guys!)

Honestly, I think dh and I have to come up with a plan. He says he will take her at night, but he will not walk/bounce etc. He will lay beside her and hold her, but that's all. So far I've resisted because I didn't want her to cry, but I think that I'm going to have to let him do it. Maybe we'll try it for a week and see if her sleep improves at all. She will scream and if it doesn't work I'll feel horrible, but I don't know what else to do.

I'm going to the drugstore to pick up a prescription for Zoloft today. I hate being on these antidepressants and have been trying to stay off them, but I have to work and I'm getting no sleep and I just can't do it anymore.

I really don't think this is what it's supposed to be like with a baby. I often wonder if things would be different if I'd let her cry a bit as an infant, put her in a crib and not nursed her at night past about 4 months old. Oh well, I guess I'll never know.
#87 of 131 Old 09-30-2003, 04:14 PM

Dear Island Mommy,

I'm sorry it is so hard. It is impossible to function and behave rationally if you have no sleep! You are obviously doing the best that you can (and more than I can even imagine!) and you need a rest. I can't believe that you lasted from 7:45 until 1 am. I couldn't go that long and would have given her to dh long before. You have already demonstrated so much patience.

Let your husband try your plan if he can handle the crying. As Dr. Sears said, crying in the arms of a loving parent is not the same as crying it out. You haven't done anything wrong! You could have put her in a crib and let her cry and she could still be waking frequently. You are a good and loving mama and your dd knows it as you try and show her every day and night. Even if your plan only lasts a night or two, if you get some sleep you will be feeling so much better!

It is so frustrating that nobody has the answers. No one can say: oh well dd is crying because X and if you only do X she will sleep and be a happy baby. My dd has been a sleeping nightmare for almost three weeks now and I am exhausted not only from not sleeping but also from worrying. She isn't her wonderful little self because she is so tired. I am trying to do everything I can to make sleep possible but nothing seems to be good enough. I feel like I missed out on her entire seventh month and she will never be seven months old again.

Sorry. I was trying to be supportive and then started to make it about me. You are doing wonderfully. You are an amazing mama. Your dd will be fine. Let her cry a little bit and you get some rest. This too shall pass--I don't when but it will. Cuddle your dd lots during the day and she will know that she is loved.

Good luck.

#88 of 131 Old 09-30-2003, 06:12 PM

s Island mommy (and others)
I know it may not feel like it, but I am confident that you choice to co-sleep and breast feed your dd is the best thing out there- she will thank you for it later. It doesn't seem fair- to be "rewarded " for such selfless acts with utter exhaution and insanity. It does make you wonder, I know. But I have to believe that what i am doing WILL make a difference for her.

I'm sure you have answered this, but is your DD teething? It really sounds like she might be from your description. OR maybe having tummy issues?

My dd has suddenly learned to crawl more efficiently and climb up on stuff, over stuff, ect all in a matter of days. She no longer wants to nap, but is so exhausted. She has this whine... E E E... that drives me bonkers. At night she is "ok" until about 1:30, and then nurses every hour. And wakes up early to boot. I try not to complain. But combined with the insane day time turn of events, i find myself more short tempered and in a sour mood. I am trying to take lots of deep breaths and ground myself.

IT WILL GET BETTER!!!!!!

#89 of 131 Old 10-01-2003, 12:19 PM

Gosh, it is incredible how similar our babes are! Island Mama, I so feel your pain!

Last night dd nursed to sleep at 7:30. I put her in her pack and play where she sleeps sometimes-I can't leave her on the bed-she just crawls off-even though it is on the floor-it is still a bit high.

A 1/2 hr later, she woke up standing up and crying. I went and held her and she fell back to sleep right away. I put her back down. 2 min later, she is standing up and WIDE awake. I took her down to dh. She is SO excited she is shreiking. They play for a bit, he puts her in the sling and she goes to sleep. He lies her in our papason chair (big round chair) and she sleeps for 1/2 hr, wakes up crying. By now it is after 9. She had been up since 3. I decided to try again-take her up, lie down in our bed and nurse. She nurses for a minute, and then is FRANTICLY crawling all around standing up, etc. SO, back down to dh-it is now 11! I went to bed and he brought her up at 2. She nursed, when back to sleep, nursed at 4, 6 and up for day at 8. Whew!

Island Mama, I agree about sears and gordon! While I love them, sometimes I have to say, WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON! Whose babies actually act like they say??!!

I am wheat, dairy, nut, shellfish etc free and dd hardly eats anything but bm...still these probs! She is teething, but I give her hylands, tylenol ect.

Anyway, I hope your plan with dh works! lately dd will go to sleep much better for dh, but still wakes just as much anyway.

It is SO frustrating!

We are here for you!
#90 of 131 Old 10-01-2003, 12:26 PM

I just have to say that I am jealous that your dc can go to your dh's. DD cries uncontrollably if she wakes up and i am not there. She cries uncontrollably if i am not there when she is ready to go to bed at night.
Oh well, I guess that's just the way it is right now.
:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page