Support - Moms of 6-9 month old frequent wakers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 131 Old 09-04-2003, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, here's the thread I said I'd start. Let's share horror stories.

When my dd was very little, she woke only once/night, but got up at 6 a.m. I thought this was terrible and couldn't wait until she'd sleep until 8 a.m.

When she was 3 months old, she started sleeping longer in the morning but began waking 3 times/night. I thought this was terrible and couldn't wait until she would return to sleeping longer stretches.

When she was 5 months old, she started waking every 2 - 3 hours. I thought this was as bad as it could get and couldn't wait until she went back to waking only 3 times/night.

Now she is 7 months old and wakes every hour. I'd think it was heaven if she'd return to waking every 2 - 3 hours. My gosh, what I'd give for 3 straight hours of sleep!! Boy, how our perceptions change.

So, Acugirl, Mona, Hollyhobbie, etc. here's our thread. Let's support each other. I'm off to bed...I like to be asleep before she wakes me up!!
#2 of 131 Old 09-04-2003, 06:43 AM

sorry, having to remove all posts with personal info due to an online stalker.
#3 of 131 Old 09-04-2003, 11:21 AM

just to offer some hope in the no rhyme or reason department...baby-loo slept 5 hrs last night from 12-5! i think she went longer without nursing as dad walked her just before midnight to put her back to sleep!! i posted on the other thread too. i was reading sears fussy/high needs baby book that i got from the library and it really helped to know it is just her way of being in the world ya know. i didnt give her solids last night and just a couple of nights ago she was waking every hr!! she slept very well when she was young but has not slept thru since she was about 12 weeks old. ofcourse i was awake and wondering what was going on. i dont expect it to last but i think maybe she will sleep more on occassion since i have seen signs that she wants to put herself back to sleep and not nurse all the time. she is working hard at it. but i totally hear the sentiment of wanting 3 hrs in a row. i crave sleep the way some ppl crave chocolate or sex. i have been desperate enuf to consider leaving dh with her for the night with a bottle and go to a hotel. sad thing is i probably wouldnt sleep there either so there isnt much point. lets keep the support going. i have lost one so called friend over this issue (her ff baby sleeps 12 hrs!! and she blames me for babes lack of sleep...who needs that!!) so lets be there to hear each other.
#4 of 131 Old 09-04-2003, 11:46 AM

I am right here with you all, my dd 8.5 mos. is up all night. I sttribute it to teeth and seperation anxiety at the moment. I am also having a horrible time getting her to sleep at bedtime ( I started a thread on that so I won't go into it here ). My ds did the same thing when he was younger but at 2.5 years now he goes to sleep on his own and sleeps through the night. There is light!
#5 of 131 Old 09-04-2003, 01:21 PM

My dd is seven months old and she is up every 2 to 3 hours. Every now and then she will go 5 and I will be so excited--maybe this will be a new trend but it usually only happens once! Last night my husband rocked her to sleep when she woke up at 11 which was only two hours after she had gone to sleep after marathon nursing. She only slept for 30 minutes. It is so hard. If I had gotten up with her at 11 she would have been back to sleep in 15 minutes. When dh got up with her at 11, it took until 11:30 to get her to sleep. I was awake the whole time. Then, just as I am drifting off around 12, she wakes again!!

Any advice? Do most nurse whenever they wake or have dp try to help. I worry when dh rocks her to sleep that she really is hungry and I am ignoring her needs!

I dream of a full night sleep. Can you imagine???

Mama to two wonderful daughers: 02/03/03 and 10/19/05
#6 of 131 Old 09-04-2003, 02:39 PM

Count me in too!
Up until dd was 3 months she was sleeping great-peacefully right next to our bed, waking to eat around 2AM and sleeping until 7.

Then she started waking every 2 hrs and has pretty much been doing that ever since... I think the longest stretch she has ever done is about 3.5 hrs.
I ALWAYS have to nurse her back to sleep when she wakes up-or else big fit! I have no clue if she is really hungry or not.

Right now, she sleeps in the cosleeper right next to our bed and I just nurse her when she wakes. She usually goes to bed around 8:30 or 9, wakes around midnight, 3, 5 and is up for the day around 7. Lately, however, she has been trying to wake up for the day at 5:30 or 6 and sometimes if I get out of bed and rock her she will go back to sleep.

I have no clue how to change this-I can't and won't do CIO, so for now, I try to nap when she does sometimes and just try to really believe in my heart that I am doing the right thing for her.
#7 of 131 Old 09-04-2003, 11:02 PM

OMG, it's good to know I'm not alone. I mean, I don't wish anyone to have sleep issues, but just knowing other people are out there that are surviving/have survived the constant night wakings makes me feel like I'm not screaming alone in the dark.

Acugirl -- my DD, who will soon be 8 months old, has similar sleep patterns as yours! Gotta love those 5 or 6 am wakings. We just "play dead" and let her crawl around. Some of the times she goes back to sleep herself, but it takes 1-1.5 hours and I have to stay awake and make sure she doesn't crawl off the bed (she sleeps in a sidecar crib.)

My DD has never slept through the night. Typically she wakes up every 1 or 2 hours. At first, I attributed the wakings to growth spurts (6 weeks, 12 weeks, 6 months), developmental (rolling over at 4 months, crawling at 6 months in sleep and crying), or teething. At best, around 5 months, she woke two or three times at night to feed. I hoped things would get better but now things have regressed. I don't think she's ever slept more than 3 hours without waking/semi-waking and crying.

Problems are made worse by her biting me while nursing Whenever she starts crying at night I try to nurse her back down. But sometimes she bites me so I stop nursing her. Then she starts wailing, so my DH and I are both up trying to put her back to sleep -- walking, rubbing back, singing, rocking, etc. Sometimes she keeps crying and crying her heart out. I know the boob is the quickest way to get her to go back to sleep, but I can't stand to be bitten. Eventually, she falls asleep, crying, out of sheer exhaustion, with periodic sobbing hiccups in her sleep. It breaks my heart.

I just keep telling myself things will get better. But I want to continue our nursing and cosleeping relationship. I love nursing her, except for the biting part! I don't know what to do either.

Well, that was pretty long... thanks for hearing me out!

Cathy
#8 of 131 Old 09-04-2003, 11:23 PM

DD has never been a good sleeper. Oh wait, about one week before her first tooth appeared (At age 4 months!!!! )
she slept for 3- 4 hours straight. It was like she had finally develped a strong enough digestive system to not be woken by gas. But then teeth entered the picture, and sleep exited! :
She will sleep "decently" (read: 1 three hour stretch, and 2 hour stretches) right after her teeth come in, but she only gets a few days of rest before the next one starts making its way up.
The last month she has had two colds, making it even more interesting.
I found tooth #7 this evening, so maybe she will sleep better tonight?

I still love the question- is she sleeping through the night? :
She has nursed every two hours around the clock, what can I say? LOL

I do try to get the paci into her mouth if i know she isn't hungry. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

The last thing i'll say is that she has not been taking her usual late afternoon naps, so she's been going to bed at 7pm. Which is great, except that she wakes for good b/w 5 and 6am. If only i could go to sleep at 7pm....

great thread!!!
#9 of 131 Old 09-05-2003, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

OK, so do any of you question whether you're doing the right thing? Twice today I was told stories of parents who finally broke down and did the CIO thing, and within 2 nights (story 1), 1 weekend (story 2) their babes were sleeping through the night. And their babes never held it against their parents and they're happy, functioning children/adults, etc. etc. I'm sure you've heard the same thing a million times.

Sometimes I wonder? Yet, today I let DD cry for all of 5 minutes in her buggy and it drove me crazy. I couldn't stand to hear it.
#10 of 131 Old 09-05-2003, 07:55 AM

sorry, having to remove all posts with personal info due to an online stalker.
#11 of 131 Old 09-05-2003, 08:15 AM

My daughter is now 11.5 months, but we had those problems when she was younger, too. I don't even mind the frequent waking, if she would go to sleep in the first place. There have been nights when I've nursed her for 4 hours straight, but at least I can sleep through it.
Lately I've been considering CIO, but I don't think I could live with myself. She has three teeth coming in at once, and is on the verge of walking, so I think that's the root of the sleep problems right now. For a while, we were taking her for a drive to put her to sleep, but the gas just got too expensive.
#12 of 131 Old 09-05-2003, 10:31 AM
tug

I've been reading the several current threads on nightwaking over the past couple of weeks b/c my ds (7 mos) is doing the same thing - sometimes it's every hour, sometimes just once every four. Like many of you said, I've been miserably sleep-deprived (and, in my case, incredibly self-pitying about it). I've been mad at ds for biting me and mad at him for waking screaming and impatient for him to finish nursing (b/c the biting means I don't fall back asleep) and mad at myself for being mad at him. I also can't do the CIO thing because of the "ripping my heart out" effect. So, I've been reading all of these threads going, "yup, yup, i know what you mean."

and then last night while nursing ds to sleep (oh yeah, what is it that the "child whisperer" says about food, activity, sleep being the order of things? yeah right! -- sarcasm), anyway, i'm nursing him to sleep and he is scratching me and nipping and i'm reading the new "mothering" and there is an article about meditation and nursing, sangha. and in this little story, the author was describing how for the first six months of her son's life she was impatient while he nursed and felt pinned down and made phone calls and tried to keep up with things, etc etc, suddenly at six months she gave up and let go. and then, when he woke at night, she would think of all of the other mothers around the world nursing their babies at that moment. and suddenly, for me too, it was all cool. and when he woke up at last night and was nursing him, i was thinking of all of you out there doing the same thing and i was thinking that this is a great community and i'm glad to be a part of it and it does give me strength and peace.

anyway, it was a good article.

#13 of 131 Old 09-05-2003, 10:48 AM

Tonight when I get up at 11, 1, 4, and 6 I will think about all the other mamas out there who are also up and nursing their dc.

I am still waiting for someone to post here that says: "My dd used to do the same thing and then I did this...." And it isn't CIO. And we can all try that and then all our dc will sleep for longer stretches!!

I have such a problem with trying to let her fall back to sleep by herself in the middle of the night because it really just prolongs the time that I am awake. She may start making noise at 2am. I will let her be and she will be quiet for a few minutes, then make a noise, then be quiet and then 45 minutes later she is awake and needing me! By the time I nurse her and put her back to sleep, it is 3:15. If I had gotten up with her at the first noise, I would have been back asleep at 2:30! Sometimes I feel like I can't win!

I am a WOHM and I wonder if it is more difficult for me to come to work when I am so sleep deprived or those SAHM that have other children they need to entertain! I can't imagine keeping up with a toddler when I am so sleepy.

Thanks for all the support and I advise avoiding the post on Life with a Babe about the good sleepers!!

Mama to two wonderful daughers: 02/03/03 and 10/19/05
#14 of 131 Old 09-06-2003, 01:53 AM

i am tired...but i will tonight make an effort to think of you all nursing your babes and all the countless other women out there nursing their babies and hope it will be ok for a little while longer. g'night.
#15 of 131 Old 09-06-2003, 12:22 PM

Hope you don't mind me joining, even though my dd is only 4 1/2 mo. old.

At the beginning, she slept pretty well with us too. But now, we go down at about 8-9 pm and she wakes at usually midnight, 2, 4, 5 and 6:00. But at 5:00 is when if she had it her way, we would get up and party! Last night/this morning, I had her laying across my body and rocking her to get her to sleep. Don't know why this is happening! She still sleeps with us and I can't imagine having her in her room (my ds slept with us until he was almost 4 yo). But she does nap in her crib during the day.

Have any of you read the "No Cry Sleep..." by Elizabeth Pantly?

Warmly/Tiredly~

Lisa:bf

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#16 of 131 Old 09-06-2003, 12:31 PM

The other night ds who's 8.5 mos nursed at least 15 times in the night! He's a big night nurser. I think it's just his sleeping personality. People are always so quick to ask, 'is he sleeping thru the night?' Are they serious? I want to ask them, 'do you sleep thru the night? :LOL Anyway I truly think there are sleeping personalities in babes. My friend has a babe the same age as ds and he slept mostly thru the night from day one. Sounds like all us mamas got blessed with the night nurser/wakers. Some mornings I wake up exhausted and other mornings not. It doesn't always relate to how much ds nursed either. Tho obviously if it was a 20 nursings night the effect is more pronounced. Dh and I were talking about how I used to need at least 8 hrs sleep a night, better 10. Boy have things changed!

Anyway I'm with all you mamas. I, too, read that article and found it inspiring and last night thought of you all as I comforted ds for the 5th time.
#17 of 131 Old 09-06-2003, 02:52 PM

lisamarie, i just wanted to say yup that is when the sleeping pattern went all to hell for baby-loo and we are still struggling to get a few hrs in at a time. i try so hard to stay positive during all this. i dont want to look back and have regrets ya know. i wanted so much to enjoy this long awaited little human being. acceptance, acceptance, acceptance. do you struggle with this? at not letting the lack of sleep cloud the whole picture of what a wonderful babe you have? baby-loo is a truly amazing small individual. she is bright, funny and joyful. she has hit all her milestones early and is so full of beans!! sears says that high needs babies sleep less and eat more often but they all have some special gift to give. i think this is true. so come on, tell us what special gift your baby has to offer the world!!!!
#18 of 131 Old 09-06-2003, 05:05 PM

Yes, hollyhobbie (love that name BTW, brings back alot of fond childhood memories!) how true.

With my ds, he wasn't/hasn't been the best night time sleeper. It took me until he was 18 mo. to accept that. He was/is such a kind and sensitive little boy that if this was his "weakness" (I hate to use that term), than so be it. I'm starting to accept my dd in her uniqueness too. She is such a happy baby, a great little nurser and wakes up always so smiley . Even last night, at 3:00 am, I was looking at her and even though I was TIRED, I knew that ALL of this is going to pass SO quickly. I grieved so much when my ds self weaned, so I am truly trying to cherish every moment of this.

Warmly~

Lisa:bf

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#19 of 131 Old 09-06-2003, 06:27 PM

Well, last night was just about as bad as it's been-dd went peacefully to bed at 8:15. Woke about 20 min later and went right back to sleep when I patted her-very unusal. This continued until about 10 when I went to bed. She woke to nurse every 1/2 hr to hr until 2 and then was up straight from 2-4! I know she is teething really badly-getting all 4 top teeth at once-so I think (HOPE) that was the reason.

I like the idea about trying to focus on the good things of our babies...dd is SO wonderful-bright, funny, smart, cute, ahead on her milestones etc. Sometimes I do think that babies who don't sleep so well are a bit advanced in other ways (not that babies who do sleep well are behind)...but, I do think there might be some correlation.

Right now she is sleeping in the sling-she woke up from a nap at 11:15 and was awake for 5 hrs even though we had an hr car ride-she would NOT fall asleep the whole time. Now it is 5Pm and she is fast asleep so who knows what that means for tonight.

I have been thinking of you all in the wee hrs of the night and it does help-I also read that article and have been focusing on trying to relax at night and not focus on the frustration. Another thing that has helped is no matter how horrible the night was, in the morning we get up and go for a walk. The exercise helps the body and the mind and I feel much better and dd likes it too.
#20 of 131 Old 09-06-2003, 10:33 PM

Ok, I'm going to be flamed for this probably, but last night was my dd's first night in her new crib. We had a sidecar for the first 7 months of her life, but she was waking every hour and it was getting to be too much for me. I have bad PPD and need sleep. I have always put her to bed awake, so I just laid her in the crib in her brother's room and patted her till she fell asleep. She slept better last night than she has in months. I only got up twice to comfort her and once to nurse her.

I am definitely not saying to put your babies in a crib. I am not trying to convert anyone or give advice here. I'm just saying I had to do it so my baby could have a well rested mother during the day.
I think she was waking up because of me, or I was waking up and comforting her before she needed me too.

I actually read ferber's book and while I DO NOT agree with his CIO, he makes a lot of valid points about sleep associations. I read secrets of the baby whisperer, and agree with her style. She is kind of middle of the road. Not for CIO, but not for the family bed either.

So hopefully things continue on well, I don't mind getting up 3 times a night, but 8 or 9 is just too much for me.
Corrie

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
#21 of 131 Old 09-07-2003, 11:24 AM

corrie43, why would you be flamed? It's not necessary to have her in your room to be an attached pair! I think it's much more important that you find what works for BOTH of you! It sounds like this might be a success for you both, so congratulations! I agree that you have to take care of yourself in order to be the best mom to her...keep it up and enjoy your sleep (I'm jealous!)
#22 of 131 Old 09-07-2003, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

My goodness, Corrie 43, I would never flame you! If my dd slept better in her crib, that's where she'd be!
Anyway, on a positive note, my dd went one 3 hour stretch last night. I actually woke up with a hard breast!! YIPPEEEEEEE! I'm convinced it's the beginning of a trend. (one has to be positive)
#23 of 131 Old 09-07-2003, 01:30 PM

Hi Lisa!

Katie is just about 5 months, and nightwaking started for the first time ever last night. She is learning to crawl, and she's completely obsessed. She woke up, rolled onto her hands and knees, and gave me a big, wide awake grin: "I'm ready to play now, mama!" Aiieeee! We've slept 12 hours a night since she was born (with nursing during our sleep). UNTIL NOW

Have others of you found that the nightwaking occurs with hitting milestones?

Groggily,
--Melissa
#24 of 131 Old 09-07-2003, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Off topic

Ubertulip, I love your babe's name. For some reason, I find myself repeating it over and over in my head. I think it's the Galadriel part that sticks.
#25 of 131 Old 09-07-2003, 06:09 PM

Hey Island Mommy the same thing happened here. I couldn't believe it. And just after I'd posted on this thread. Hmm. Ubertulip my ds is doing the same thing. I lie there trying to nurse him to sleep. He suckles a little then rolls over and gets up on his hands and knees and gives me the most gleeful smile. I just can't help but smile back. He seems so delighted with himself. Anyway I too have been wondering if the family bed is contributing to ds's wakefulness but we've tried putting him in the co-sleeper and he doesn't even seem to like that distance between us.

What kind of nappers does everyone have?
#26 of 131 Old 09-07-2003, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

So, I just received some advice from a sister of a friend on how to have dd sleep longer at night. It was a CIO method, of course, so does not bear repeating here. However, here was her last quote:

Quote:
This is the hardest thing we ever did but it was the best thing as well. My doctor gave me a book to read about sleep and if a baby is sleep deprived (which your friend’s baby probably is), they can’t function as well. We also noticed that once Alison started putting herself to sleep, she got so much more pleasant.
This is what gets me. Everyone who does CIO justifies it by saying their baby is happier/more content/less fussy, etc. after they do it. Do they just say this to justify what they've done, or is it really true?

My dd is really quite happy during the day. She only fusses just before naptime and is generally content. She plays by herself quite a bit and is busy exploring her environment. She doesn't nap excessively during the day, so I'd be hard pressed to see how it could get better.

Solsticemama, my dd naps well if she falls asleep in her buggy...usually over an hour and often close to 2 hours. When I nurse her to sleep, she rarely sleeps for more than 45 minutes before waking and wanting to nurse again. Hmmm, food for thought there.
#27 of 131 Old 09-07-2003, 10:13 PM

In regards to the quote you posted above, i think it is a bit of self rationalization going on. I also think you have to question, what is "pleasant" behavior for a child? To be self sufficient enough to fall asleep by her/him self, and so to be self sufficient enough to play by herself too? Not that there is anything wrong w/ some self sufficiency, but I don't think that at 8 months DD should be self sufficient. Of course, that is where AP and traditional parenting stray, isn't it?

Anyway, I could personally never let my child cry it out. I think it scars in ways parents will never truly know.

Napping- DD also sleeps in her stroller sometimes. Other times she falls asleep while nursing, and then I transfer her to her car seat. If I lay her down, chances are she will wake up. Something about the confinement of the car seat keeps her sleeping.

#28 of 131 Old 09-07-2003, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Just on the subject of napping, it's 6:26 p.m. and dd is still down for her afternoon nap!!! She's been asleep for at least 2 hours, probably more. Who knows what time she'll go to bed!
#29 of 131 Old 09-08-2003, 12:50 AM

Island Mommy let us know how your night went. A 2 hour nap close to bedtime...we'll be thinking of you. Ds went down relatively early tonight so we'll see how it goes.
#30 of 131 Old 09-08-2003, 03:53 AM

Ah, napping. My 8-month old DD has more or less consolidated to two naps a day (occassionally she'll have a three napper). She sleeps anywhere from 40 minutes to 2.5 hrs for either nap, but mostly her naps average around 50 minutes. I can't discern a pattern yet on why she sleeps longer for some naps--wish I knew how to encourage the 2 hour naps! However, she had a really long nap after a swim lesson, and a friend of mine noted her son slept particularly well after swimming too.

I either nurse her or sling her to sleep. She's fallen asleep by herself only two or three times when she was much younger.

Cathy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page