Assure me that this is okay, LOL - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-18-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Everyone!

I'm not a frequent poster, but I do lurk and read here often. Usually one-handed, LOL.

My 19 month old daughter co-sleeps and still wakes up to nurse about 4 times a night. She gets plenty of nursing during the day, so it's not an issue with that. She still nurses to sleep for her nap and for night-time. I've tried *not* nursing to sleep through a ton of different approaches and methods, but it never truly works.

Is anyone else in the same situation? How old is too old to nurse to sleep? It's really vexing to me sometimes because I'm sooo tired and she'll usually need to nurse about 30 minutes before she'll let go of my breast. It just gets to be too much sometimes, so I wish that she could just go to sleep without nursing. But, it's always been this way for her. I've tried so many things. She won't eventually fall asleep if you just let her go. Also, she falls asleep on my mom's lap on her own on the few occasions where my mom was watching her alone. Figures, huh? LOL.

P.S. Grace is very strong-willed. But aren't they all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Nursing to sleep is often the last session to go. For dd she really *needed* to nurse to sleep until around 2.5yrs.

-Angela
#3 of 10 Old 02-18-2008, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Angela!

That gives me relief...and hope, LOL! I don't have any friends locally who co-sleep, are extender BF'ers, etc., and they often offer unwanted advice about how my daughter shouldn't be nursing to sleep anymore, etc. The fact that nothing else works is a pretty good indicator that it's still a need of hers, but I just wanted to check in with you ladies and get some more opinions or ideas.

Thanks, again!
#4 of 10 Old 02-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Banned

my son is 26 months right now and is showing no signs of ceasing the nurse to sleep (though its really painful for me right now due to pregnancy).
i think its really common for nurslings to nurse to sleep for several years.
#5 of 10 Old 02-19-2008, 02:58 AM

My 3 yo nursed 4-8 times a night until she was 23 months, when she miraculously staryed cutting way back. There is hope!
#6 of 10 Old 02-19-2008, 11:51 AM

I WISH I had your problem! I would love it if nursing could put him to sleep. Instead I have to go through a long and exhausting process with screaming. Count your blessings that you get a peaceful process. It is my DREAM for him to nurse to sleep.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#7 of 10 Old 02-19-2008, 05:47 PM

I have a 19 month old too and I get so tired nursing him to sleep but when I get frustrated with the nursing I think of the alternatives and remember that if nursing wasn't available then it would be a lot harder to put him to sleep. I'm just not ready to not have that available. You don't have to tell people that you nurse if you think that they will be dissaproving. I just let people assume what they want, its none of their business!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#8 of 10 Old 02-19-2008, 06:10 PM

this trick ALWAYS helps me if i ever feel like i wish he'd just go to sleep.....

I know there will soon be a day he wont WANT me in bed with him.

after i finish crying about that, i cuddle him closer, and enjoy it while it lasts!!!

#9 of 10 Old 02-19-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
I WISH I had your problem! I would love it if nursing could put him to sleep. Instead I have to go through a long and exhausting process with screaming. Count your blessings that you get a peaceful process. It is my DREAM for him to nurse to sleep.
ds goes through periods like this too. i have very elaborate routines for those nights and all of them are way more exhausting than nursing! it may pass- for months (maybe 9mos-13 mos) he wouldn't go to sleep by nursing then one day he started doing it again! he always keeps me on my toes.

even though i am grateful for the nursing-to-sleep nights, i do sometimes find them stressful when i just.want.to.get.some.time.for.ME!

on those nights, i have a little mantra that works for me. i just say 'i have promised myself and my baby i will never let him cry it out.' usually just focusing on the alternative once reminds me how important it is for me to be there for him. then i can get over thinking about what i 'need' to be doing instead and relax about putting him to sleep. OP, if you're tired, why not just close your eyes and rest while she's falling alseep?

i hear you on feeling alone in all this- i too hear the 'bad habit' warnings. but i have decided it's NOT a bad habit to nurse to sleep no matter what others say. i think it's a lovely, peaceful, reliable (for some) way for a baby to fall asleep and what's better than that? if it's not broke, don't fix it, it will just stress everyone out!
#10 of 10 Old 02-19-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
:

I realize your LO is a lot older, but I'd love anything that consitently worked to get DD to sleep...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page