5 month old still wakes every 2 hours! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2008, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! x-posted in life with babes

I'm sure (and hope not the only one...) but wondering if anyone's DC still wakes every 2-3 hours at night. We are cosleeping and nursing...and it's ok except that he does not fall asleep nursing about %50 of the time...so I need to reswaddle, sometimes burp, put paci in mouth, pat side for about 20 minutes and PRAY that he's asleep...only to do it again in another 2 hours.

Is it possible that he would sleep better in a crib? I kinda doubt it and it would be even MORE "work" and effort if I had to get up and rock, nurse, pat, etc....but sometimes I wonder if I am waking him or responding to "baby sleep sounds"???

We haven't started solids yet...(he's prone to eczema...bummer...) and I have cut out all dairy (makes a small difference...) and try to feed alot during the day.

My DD was "easy" in the sense of sleeping... she went right back to sleep after nursing even tho she woke up maybe every 3-4. Didn't feel as sleep deprived with her! Maybe I just needed a vent! She eventually STTN and transitioned to the crib no problem at 1 year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2008, 11:41 PM

This is pretty normal for kids who haven't been left to cry it out.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:57 PM

Totally totally normal. My 14 month old still wakes every couple of hours.

Mommy to two super cute kids.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:06 AM

You know, ds is 2, and there are STILL some nights when he is up that often. In my two years of reading here, and watching my child, I have concluded that no amount of nightwaking is abnormal. Just don't bring it up with the CIO crowd, and know that you are listening to your child.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:09 AM

Yep, my DD is 6.5 mths and she rarely sleeps more than 2 hrs stretches at night. Sounds fairly normal, though that doesn't mean that it's very fun.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:17 AM

Well, if you think you could try it without having to resort to CIO, I say try the crib out and see what happens! Chances are they may not like it, but its worth a try, right? My DS woke every two hours, sometimes more, until he was around ten months old, then he started sleeping around 4-6 (waking once or twice), than down to once, and now sleep thru most of the time, he is 19 mo now.

At the ten month mark, he became a better crawler and finally wanted solid food. He ate solid food before than, at eight mo., but only b/c we were desperate for sleep and were willing to try anything, even wives tales, to get him to sleep. It obviously didn't work. He did it all on his time...

And he didn't sttn until he was TOTALLY weaned. Which I didn't want to do anyway but had to b/c of health reasons for me. My other girlfriends babies didn't sttn until they were totally weaned too, around 18 to 24 mo.

OH - what does your baby wear to sleep? Are they cold, hot? We slept almost naked the first few months

J

Jenny, mother of two boys; 7-25-06 and 7-27-08. Loving wife to Cole. I love birth! :
Old 03-17-2008, 01:52 AM

I have no advice...but I will say count your blessings because almost 6mo old dd is upe very 30minutes

Danielle, wife to John, mama to Valley9.24.07
expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!
Old 03-17-2008, 02:17 AM

My 13 month old is up every hour.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:03 AM

Totally normal at that age, I'd agree.

...now for my co-sleeping 18 mo twins who still wakes every 1-3 hours, that may not be as common. We are loving it if ours sleep for 3 hours straight.

Mama to DS & DD, 4 years old TWINS 
Birthing/Postpartum RN on my "free time".
Old 03-17-2008, 06:28 AM

I do not think that it is normal for a 5-month old to wake every 2 hours. After 4 hours, maybe. But not every two hours. That's not enough sleep for either you or him. He sounds like a light sleeper. I would try putting him in a separate bed and see if he wakes less often that way.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
Old 03-17-2008, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sounds very normal. Mine was waking every 2 hours till around 12 months, and it then varied btw every 2-4 hours till at least age 2 (and definitely more often during growth spurts). Fortunately nursing and sometimes also potty would usually get her back to sleep in no time. In your son's case the eczema may be the main factor keeping him awake longer, but you might try putting him over a sink or potty to see if he might want to relieve himself - might help him back to sleep faster.

My SIL's ds has eczema and even after he weaned, woke often in need of comfort to get back to sleep. I think that is quite normal too.

relaxed-unschooler mama to dd (2003). hoping for second one. love being a mama!!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've had two children who have done that. My first was just a very frequent waker, frequent nurser and didn't sleep through the night until she was 4 years old. She was still waking every 1-3 hours even when she was 2 years old-drove me batty, but she finally got down to (usually) just one waking a night by the time she was 2.5 - 3 years.

My second was (is still, actually) a very good sleeper, slept 7 hours in a row several times at only 2 months of age, but by the time she was 6 months or so was waking every two hours. I figured it was a phase. Fortunately it didn't last too long, at least not that I recall.

You can always try a crib if you think it will help; it could. Try not to get your hopes up, however, because it can just lead to resentment and this feeling that your child is unusual in this regard, or should be more like your first. Not that I am good at taking my own suggestion, but so many times I'm convinced that my child is just not normal, and that other people's kids do X or Y and why don't mine do that (even still to this day, LOL). Upon talking to people in depth, however, I find out my perception really isn't accurate.

The person whose child is sleeping through the night at a young age seems more likely to talk about it--either because she is so surprised and pleased about it, or because she thinks it's because she is parenting the right way and wants to teach you how to do the same. Sorry if that sounds critical, it's just what I've experienced. I also don't mean to sound preachy but I know part of my own difficulties in dealing with sleeping habits was my feeling that it shouldn't be like that. Good luck and good sleeping vibes to you!
Old 03-18-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGoddess View Post
I do not think that it is normal for a 5-month old to wake every 2 hours. After 4 hours, maybe. But not every two hours. That's not enough sleep for either you or him. He sounds like a light sleeper. I would try putting him in a separate bed and see if he wakes less often that way.
My nearly 10 month DS wakes every couple hours at least. But his waking just consists of rooting around until he can latch on and then going back to sleep. He sleeps while he eats. He seems well-rested in the morning. I think it's okay. I'm sleeping pretty well, too, so waking that often isn't as bad as it sounds.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 PM
cdc

Oh, lucky 2 hours? Mine is up every hour, or on bad days, every half an hour. Good nights are every 2 hours. I find it hard to believe that this is "normal" but there seems to be too many of us who experience the same thing for it to be that odd. I do wonder though if it is healthy for my baby to get so little long sleep. Lord knows it is not healthy for me!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:18 PM

Just going to repeat that it is pretty normal. My 13 month old co sleeper just slept for four hours straight - I am thrilled.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:22 PM

Unfortunately (for your sanity, that is) it is totally normal. In fact, at 5 months, my kids were still doing the every hour thing. Just count your blessings that you lucked out with #1

It's a horrible phase of parenting, no way around that.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:38 PM

My dd did this until she stopped nursing around 20 months. Then she started sleeping through the entire night. She has always been a heavy sleeper but still would wake up every 2 hours for a quick nurse or cuddle.

I'm 27 and still wake up every 2-3 hours at night.

I don't think it's abnormal at all.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:12 PM

I would say it depends. It was 'normal' for my last two children (who were totally co-sleepers) and I was very sleep deprived.

Our newest baby - who will be 5 months on the 27th - is not that way at all. She *perfers* to sleep in her little bassinet right next to my bed, and once I recognized that and started putting her there when she feel asleep she has slept for long streches. Her normal night is a 5-6 hours strech, eating, back to sleep for 2-3 hours, eating and maybe up for the day or back to sleep. She has had nights where she has slept as much as 7-9 hours as well....but that isn't consistant yet.

I have *never* left her to CIO, I simply realized one night when she wouldn't settle back to sleep to lay her in her bassinet and wonder of all wonders she just went to sleep. That said she has been a tummy sleep from almost day one, and I do belive that has something to do with it as well.

I would try it out and see how your baby reacts...

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
Old 03-18-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceoc View Post
I have *never* left her to CIO, I simply realized one night when she wouldn't settle back to sleep to lay her in her bassinet and wonder of all wonders she just went to sleep. That said she has been a tummy sleep from almost day one, and I do belive that has something to do with it as well.
Yep, mine reacted the exact same way. I put her on her tummy in her crib, where she preferred to sleep, and she slept away for over 5 hours at a time. Now at 8 months she will still wake every 5 hours and I nurse her. Never, never have I let her cry.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone....

Glad to see I"m not the only one! I guess I was lucky with DD who woke alot but "just nursed" and went to sleep. I didn't feel as sleep deprived with her...

But I know the day will come someday....when I look at the clock and it's been longer than 2-3 hours! Or I won't "have to" pat...or go through a whole "routine' each time.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:07 PM

My ds is 9 months and still a frequent waker. About every 2-3 hours now, and this is greatly improved. Mostly he just wants to know that I'm there, have a quick sip, and go back to sleep. He used to need a lot more help, so have faith, things will change.

User Tag List