Help! 13 month old up every 45 minutes :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-21-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for any ideas I can get on helping my little man to connect sleep cycles.

He has had a rough first year with six months of colic, ear infections and reflux. All are now gone but his sleep has not improved. I think he got used to all the waking up from pain and discomfort, and I just don't know how to get him to connect his sleep cycles. I have tried many things and am out of ideas. He won't take anyone but me at night without screaming until he passes out so I am on duty 24/7. I love him and am doing my best to wait it out but I am now truly struggling with my mental state as I am up 10-20 times per night every single night.

Any gentle ideas are welcome. All the docs just say cio... there must be another way.

PM's welcomed
#2 of 14 Old 03-21-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audenough View Post
I'm looking for any ideas I can get on helping my little man to connect sleep cycles.

He has had a rough first year with six months of colic, ear infections and reflux. All are now gone but his sleep has not improved. I think he got used to all the waking up from pain and discomfort, and I just don't know how to get him to connect his sleep cycles. I have tried many things and am out of ideas. He won't take anyone but me at night without screaming until he passes out so I am on duty 24/7. I love him and am doing my best to wait it out but I am now truly struggling with my mental state as I am up 10-20 times per night every single night.

Any gentle ideas are welcome. All the docs just say cio... there must be another way.

PM's welcomed
ugh, that sounds really rough! so he's always been up this much--it's not a new thing? i was gonna say teething, but if he always does it, it's not teething.

still, if he's had ear infections, reflux, and colic--have you tried a chiropractor?

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#3 of 14 Old 03-22-2008, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

We have seen a chiro on and off. We are actually just trying a new one right now. It has been a few months since we've seen one. The first chiro really helped with his colic but none of it helped with his reflux.

Yes, he has always slept poorly. Never more than 2 hours since he was born (except 2 or 3 three hour flukes over the last year) and about 5 months ago when the ear infections came for two months straight. Then it went to every 45 minutes with the odd 90 minute stretch every few nights.
#4 of 14 Old 03-22-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audenough View Post
We have seen a chiro on and off. We are actually just trying a new one right now. It has been a few months since we've seen one. The first chiro really helped with his colic but none of it helped with his reflux.

Yes, he has always slept poorly. Never more than 2 hours since he was born (except 2 or 3 three hour flukes over the last year) and about 5 months ago when the ear infections came for two months straight. Then it went to every 45 minutes with the odd 90 minute stretch every few nights.
wow. that is just tough, mama.

i definitely think you should try a new chiro and maybe craniosacral therapy or something. it sounds physical to me, like physical discomfort or inability to settle.

i assume you have already looked into food sensitivities, right (both through your milk, assuming you are nursing, and whatever he eats himself)?

big hugs!

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#5 of 14 Old 03-22-2008, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, we've checked for food sensitivities and we've done cranio-sacral...

He used to be in discomfort and pain when he woke up but now it just seems like he doesn't know how to sleep since he was up in pain for so long.
#6 of 14 Old 03-24-2008, 03:58 PM

I am glad I'm not the only one... My daughter was sleeping through the night at 2-months, but then she started developing food allergies. Over the next 3 months, they got progressively worse and her sleep went from 11 hours straight to up every 45 minutes. We are finally getting the allergies figured out and her symptoms are clearing up, but now she refuses to sleep unless she is on or next to me (she was previously in her own crib.) So we have just started co-sleeping this past week. I'm not sure if it's because she was sick from food allergies for so long and it completely screwed up her sleep patterns, or because now she is right next to me and can smell me (and just wants to nurse all night), or both. Between the severely restricted diet and the never getting a solid hour of sleep, I am completely burnt out. Any suggestions are welcome!!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#7 of 14 Old 03-24-2008, 10:50 PM

My 15 month old son is so used to getting up every 20-60 minutes that he actually sits up at every regular interval through the night and many times he is still asleep. He wakes himself up by sitting up - like he wishes he could still be sleeping, but this is his nightly routine or duty that he is obligated to follow through with no matter what. The cruelty of the situation is that he slept pretty well as a newborn - it all shifted at around 4 months old. I wish I knew a way to string it all together - or at least for others to help out. We have just decided to accept it and constantly complain about how tired we are in our hopelessness that it will every change...just wanted to empathize with you.
#8 of 14 Old 03-24-2008, 11:20 PM

My first baby was awake several times every night until I could not take it anymore at 18 months. I chose to night-wean him and try to get him to sleep through the night. I know CIO has a bad rap and I'm not a big fan either. But I found my own happy medium. I chose to let him cry with me (instead of locked in a crib or behind a closed door). When he woke, I or his dad would hold him, rock him, or walk with him until he calmed down.

I was surprised by the results. The first night the longest he cried was 30 minutes. After that each night was successively shorter until the end of the week when he got the hang of sleeping through the periods when he would normally wake.

After a bout of illness and a vacation, I had to repeat the process. The second time around was 2-3 days and much easier. I really don't even have any strong memories of doing it again. If my son did wake after we night-weaned, I just soothingly told him it was sleepy-time and we could nurse in the morning. He seemed to accept that reassurance.
#9 of 14 Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 PM

Does he take good naps? My child's night waking improved when I got the naps to improve. Still to this day, I rock him for 2 hours during the day if I must to get the full 2 hour nap in. He's 2! It has such an impact on his night sleep, it's amazing.
#10 of 14 Old 03-26-2008, 12:07 AM

this might sound crazy if you are not familiar with EC but see if you can get him to pee fully when he wakes. Often babies wake b/c they have the sensation to pee and don't fully empty their bladder while sleeping in a diaper.
If you have little potty just hold him over it and make a relaxing noise (psssssh) or run a little water so he gets the idea to let the muscles relax and to pee.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#11 of 14 Old 03-26-2008, 09:36 PM

My almost 15 month old DD used to wake up hourly or every 2 hours but recently her sleep has improved.Since a month or so she sleeps for longer streches.Hopefully your LO will also sleep better soon.
#12 of 14 Old 03-26-2008, 10:47 PM

are you cosleeping? changing that (either way. either trying it or stopping it) might help. My son stopped waking 100 times a nigh to once I was able to get him back to sleep without nursing. He sleeps with us so I would just lie there and sing (and he'd cry but not much) and after a verse of a song if he was getting more upset I would nurse him. If he was calming down I would keep singing...and singing.. until he was back to sleep.

It REALLY helped. I get hours of sleep now (hours in a row).

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#13 of 14 Old 03-28-2008, 03:48 AM

DAIRY DAIRY DAIRY!!! Try eliminating all dairy. Even if you/they have tested negative for it. I have had dramatic results with all of my family from quitting dairy... Nursing babies colic and night waking fades, My husband's MS symptoms and sinus infections diappear, my son's lung capacity increased 40%, my daughter's temper tantrums faded. And we have never had an allergy "test" posotive for it.
#14 of 14 Old 03-28-2008, 08:24 PM

ok, here's a crazy idea..... are there any electronics in your bedroom? cell phones, computers, alarm clocks, tvs..... try taking them out. do you have wireless internet? try turning it off. i started having dh turn off the server at night and our alarm clock died about the same time. i JUST now realized that ds has been sleeping (not to mention me!) a WHOLE lot better since then.......

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page