This too shall pass - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When times were hard, my parents used to say, “This too shall pass.” I didn’t realize then that this applies to the good times, too.

As evening falls, I lie down beside my infant daughter on the bed, offer her my breast. She nurses intently, yet dreamily, eyes half closed. Occasionally she pulls off and gazes at me for a moment, then shares a sparkling smile. The night ahead of us is shrouded in darkness.

I give myself to you, my daughter. Mysteriously my body makes sweet milk for you, still all the food you need. As you begin to stir restlessly, then give a cry of need, I come awake and turn to you, drawing your small warm body close to mine. Sometimes my back aches from lying this way for so long. Sometimes I want so much to turn away, to turn over. Sometimes when you cry I sigh impatiently, startled from the depths of slumber, or not yet asleep after the last time you awoke. Sometimes you overwhelm me with your sweetness and beauty. At what other time will we share such moments? When this is over and you move on to other things, it will never come again.

So, although I often look forward to the day when she will sleep through the night, I am not impatient for it. For this too shall pass… and too quickly.

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

#2 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 PM

sigh.......
#3 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 11:14 PM

That is so beautifully written. Thank You for posting as I am about to join my darling Son in bed. I sometimes dread the night ahead but tonight I shall embrace it!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#4 of 6 Old 03-31-2008, 11:33 PM

thank you. that was really well written, and i feel like those are my thoughts exactly. I am going to REALLY enjoy and remember this tonight when i go to sleep.
#5 of 6 Old 04-01-2008, 01:13 AM

ditto on the thank you. sometimes i really dread the coming of night. my sweet son turns into a maniac... but, a very, cute maniac. i need to take a deep breath and enjoy the moment...
#6 of 6 Old 04-01-2008, 09:06 AM

That was nice. Thank you!

Sam 39 DH Dan 39 DS Enzo 2.2.07 Baby Uma EDD 1.25.11
hale

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page