Anyone feel bittersweet about the transition from co-sleeping to solo sleeping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD has been sleeping through the night sometimes... maybe 35% of the time?... since she was 18.5 months old. All on her own, no sleep training or anything. Actually, since she was 11 months, she's gone down fine alone at 7:30 in her crib for the first part of the night. But recently she's just stopped waking up to come into my bed... once in a while at least.

However, I have to admit that it's a bittersweet transition. I was sad when she stopped napping in my bed at 5 months (she still napped in arms though). And I'm even more sad to think that co-sleeping is possibly nearing its end. She's a bed hog and she kicks a lot, but she's so sweet and snuggly!

Is there anyone else who felt bittersweet about the ending of co-sleeping?

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#2 of 7 Old 04-06-2008, 09:45 PM

I had to sleep in a different bed than dd last night (because I took some strong medicine) and I was so sad! I was surprised just how much I need her there.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#3 of 7 Old 04-06-2008, 10:02 PM

We went from five in a bed to THREE overnite!

My four year old and nearly two year old have moved out of our bedroom and into their own. I kinda miss having my youngest so close by, but with another one due in just a few months I'm trying to see it as all positive!

I really need to get a picture of my girls, so sweet with the little ones legs draped over her sister!
#4 of 7 Old 04-06-2008, 10:19 PM

Eurobin, your situation sounds similar to mine. Sometime around 14/15 months, DS started going down in the crib, and slowly slept longer & longer there before joining us in bed. I think he was around 18 months the first time he slept all the way through, and it really shocked me. He's 27 months now, and really only joins us in bed if he's sick or has a bad dream or something...I sleep way better without him, he's latched on the whole time he's in bed with me when he is..and yet I miss co-sleeping. I thought he's be in our bed till he was at least 5. Who knows, maybe he'll come back before then!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#5 of 7 Old 04-08-2008, 12:19 PM
PPK

DS just transitioned into the pack n play at the foot of my bed his past week. He's 8 months, but was kicking me all night, so I gave it a try and he's doing great in it! I brought him to bed to nurse at 3 am the other night and figured he might stay and cuddle, but as soon as he was done eating he started to kick, roll, and fuss. I put him back in the pnp and he fell asleep no problem. He doesn't seem to want to fall asleep for naps when I'm laying near him trying to nap in the afternoons either.

I was bummed on the second night of putting him to sleep in the pnp, b/c it really hit me that he's never going to be a tiny little babe anymore (were also only wanting one child). But I'm trying to focus on how exciting it is that he's growing and changing into his own individual self.

That said, he has had better sleep for the most part. Last night was the best night ever, he went down at 8, woke at 2:30 for a feed, then up at 6

It does have its upsides, but also its a pita to have to stay awake at night to feed him and then transfer him back and forth...I have no idea how moms do it from day one in a crib...no way.
#6 of 7 Old 04-09-2008, 02:36 AM

Yes, yes, yes! My kids have co-slept with us, always as babies, and as they've needed in the early school years. Both are pretty independent right now, and it particularly hit me the other night. I was alone in bed, DH working, kids in their own rooms, and the dog nowhere to be found. I was feeling quite lonely!

I know this board is mostly younger kids co-sleeping, so hope it doesn't sound too odd that we've let our kids come to us when they needed. It always just felt right.
#7 of 7 Old 04-09-2008, 05:36 PM

My guy has started sleeping very long hours with very little "assistance" in the last few months. He's approaching 4, and the other day he said that for his birthday he wants a "racecar bed". I almost cried!

But then he said that we can all sleep with him in his racecar bed (those things have only single mattresses), and I smiled again.

It's the first time he's really talked about having his "own" bed, so it's still sad, but I'm also so happy that he's growing up and changing so wonderfully!

Definitely bittersweet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page