4 in a queen? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-10-2008, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a queen sized bed. My dh, dd, and me have been comfortable for the past 3 years but now I'm pregnant, due in June. I'm wondering if I should aggressively move dd out of our bed before the baby comes or if it can be done. Me and dh are both small to average size.

Dd already goes to sleep in her own twin size bed but then comes to our bed sometime in the night.
#2 of 12 Old 04-11-2008, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's possible but definitely not very comfortable, we had to do it for a few months when DD2 was born. The other problem we had was that I couldn't put the new baby in the middle with DD1 because she moves a lot and I didn't want her to smash or accidentally hit the baby, so I had DD2 on the outer edge with me and that kept me up all a lot because I was afraid she would fall off.

Since your Dd already sleeps in her own bed I would try to keep her there all night, it is just to tight in a queen.

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#3 of 12 Old 04-11-2008, 01:46 AM

We usually have (at least) four in the bed. Any more and dh moves out. I need to get the bedrail down because that gives a lot more room. If you get a bedrail and your dd will go between your dp and the bedrail it should work okay. Or you can put the baby between you and the bedrail, but I like the baby in the middle sometimes because I can't sleep on one side all night without getting up in pain, and he needs breast access

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#4 of 12 Old 04-13-2008, 03:48 PM

First, I have to say that I love waking up in the night surrounded by my boys!! The way we do it is with our 10 week old in the bed with us, and our 3.5 yo at the foot of the bed. He actually chose that place before the baby was born...I think he sensed that we were going to have the baby with us very soon and understood it. At first, he was sleeping on our feet, which was really annoying (considering I get claustophobic just being "trapped" in the covers!), so we pulled a chest up to the foot of the bed and made a "nest" for him. We have a down comforter, so we double that up on the chest, then put a blanket over it, then a pillow and a blanket for him to cover up in. I don't know if something like that is an option for you, but it works great for us! And he LOVES his "nest"!

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#5 of 12 Old 04-13-2008, 08:06 PM

I just have to say- when we got our king sized bed, it was the BEST thing we've EVER done. We got it when I was pregnant with my 2nd son and once he was here, on nights when my 3 year old joins us- we ALL get a GREAT night's sleep. I cannot recommend it enough. Really.
#6 of 12 Old 04-13-2008, 09:16 PM

#7 of 12 Old 04-13-2008, 09:48 PM

I can do my girls and I in queen but not all four of us. We have a king in our room and queen in their room.

Mamma to identical twin girls (June, 2006 born at 30 weeks), new bundle of joy due August, 2011
#8 of 12 Old 04-14-2008, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Sadly a king is not in my foreseeable future - we just can't afford it. My dd actually stayed in her bed ALL night last night but I think it is because she was very tired. I think we're going to work on getting her to stay longer by getting up to resettle her rather than just saying, "come to our bed" as soon as she cries out. I wonder if she'll be uncomfortable too with four in the bed and will choose to stay in her own bed. I just don't want her to feel that she can't sleep in the bed just because of the new baby but rather because she is getting big and needs to sleep on her own anyway. That's why I want to start moving her now and not in two months when she is already feeling usurped and jealous.

OTOH - Dh or me and the baby could always go to dd's twin bed if we were uncomfortable.
#9 of 12 Old 04-14-2008, 03:00 PM

I discovered that you can negotiate the price of a mattress, like a car. NAK, so long story short, we got a king for less than half the sticker price.

The early years of my marriage were in two twins pushed together, and it spoiled me, having such space. Sharing a hotel room queen with my mate and baby was dreadful. All three of us are sprawlers and rollers...

Mama to EG, Mate to MD, Writer, Editor, International Jewel Thief.
#10 of 12 Old 04-14-2008, 03:21 PM

We're in the same situation. DH & I have a queen. Our son is 3-1/2. Our baby is due any day.

We've been working with our older son to have him sleep in his room and he's been doing a good job. He comes into our room anywhere between 1/2 AM and sometimes lasting as long as 5:30/6. I think we'll just play it by ear. We have the crib set up in our room, so baby can sleep there as needed.

I'm not sure all 4 of us will fit as 3 of us are barely fitting these days!
#11 of 12 Old 04-14-2008, 04:40 PM

We just recently broke the bank for a king-sized bed because I am pregnant with our second and the queen just didn't seem like a realistic long-term solution for us. We probably could have coaxed dd out of the family bed, but I'd prefer for it to be her decision, and we like having her with us! (Like your dd, she begins the night in her bed and joins us in the night.)

The king has been absolutely incredible, and we are so glad to have it (huge quality-of-life difference) but I understand that it just may not be an option for your family. Still, I think you will need more space, even as your pregnancy advances. Do you have enough room to sidecar a twin-size or crib-size futon onto one side of your queen for your older dd? This seems very practical, especially if your bed is already on or near the floor. you could even create some sort of "nest" for her, as others have suggested, without investing in a futon. I've heard of some families using a dog bed (new, of course! ) lined with a sheepskin or something else cozy.

I think you're right that there's a lot of "wait-and-see" in it! Who knows what will happen over the next few months? Good luck!

Meg, BFARing mama to two spirited daughters, born at home June 05 and April 08.
#12 of 12 Old 04-14-2008, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We've been working with our older son to have him sleep in his room and he's been doing a good job. He comes into our room anywhere between 1/2 AM and sometimes lasting as long as 5:30/6. I think we'll just play it by ear. We have the crib set up in our room, so baby can sleep there as needed.
This is exactly what we're probably going to do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page