Mothering Forum banner

For those of you with your bed on the floor

800 views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  jenmn 
#1 ·
Did you remove the boxspring or is the mattress still on top of it, but just not on a frame?

We've got a really tall bed with pillowtop, and I'm thinking the lower the whole thing can be, the better. But I don't want to mess up the mattress by not having the boxspring if it's supposed to be there.

Thanks!

#2 ·
We just have the mattress on the floor- no boxspring...we just bought a new king sized bed, and actually find that having the mattress on the floor is better, in that the bed doesn't "bounce' as much, so we can get in and out easier without waking dd...

#3 ·
I put the mattress straight on the floor. I checked it with the salesperson who sold it to me, who said it would be fine (and he may or may not be correct about this, sometimes salespeople will tell you anything.) If you really want it straight from the horse's mouth, call the manufacturer.

I used it that way for around two years without issue.

#12 ·
Not sure if it matters, but our room isn't damp, and the mattress would be on a blanket, on carpet. I've had her crib mattress on a blanket, on the carpet, for a couple months now and no issues there. But it didn't have a boxspring to begin with.

Frankly I hate our bed, but we're stuck with it, and it was too dang expensive, so even though I don't like it I don't want to ruin the mattress. Glad to hear it should be okay without the boxspring.

#13 ·
We've never had a boxspring... mattress has always been either directly on the wooden slat frame or on the floor. Mildew can be a concern if there is no air flow beneath the mattress...just lift the matress up for an hour or two every week if this is a concern. A good mattress cover (the kind that zips around the mattress and is designed to reduce allergies) may be worth while as well since it will keep the mattress from becoming "damp". When our mattress was on the floor I'd prop it up every few days, and flip it once a month. We never had a problem despite a mold problem in the house.

#17 ·
I have mine on a boxspring ... I have a thing about my bed looking like a bed, so the added height makes me happier in terms of my environment. But, my son is pretty adept at getting onto and off of things at about that height ... if he was still insisting on going head-first off of everything, his safety of course would come before my sense of environment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.