A baby can't breathe through it's mouth?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This isn't really about co-sleeping per se, but I put it here because I think it fit here best.

DH and I were out to dinner with his grandparents tonight. We were discussing how DH's sister doesn't have a crib for her new son. She plans to, but for now I guess he's still in a bassinet or sleeps in a swing or something.

Anyway, GFIL says that he heard about a lot of deaths from breastfeeding co-sleeping lately on the news. And that the problem is that parents sleep with their babies and smother them because a baby can't breathe through it's mouth. That a baby can only breathe through it's nose until it's 8 months old. I tried explaining co-sleeping but he insisted it's dangerous because a baby can't breathe through its mouth. DH changed the subject and that's probably a good thing.

I can't wait to find out what GFIL has to say when DH and I have a breastfed co-sleeping baby. I feel for all of you guys and the weird stuff you have to listen to defending your choices.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008, 10:27 PM

Wow, that's definitely a weird one. What's the baby supposed to do if it gets a stuffy nose then? Have a tracheotomy put in?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:47 PM

I have to admit I kinda-sorta believe it for some babies. When DS was maybe 6 mo old DH was playing around with him and pinched his nose shut... DS couldn't yet figure out to open his mouth to breathe... It was weird...
Old 05-06-2008, 10:50 PM

I think this is true, actually. Oh, I mean the breathing thing. The smothering thing is ridiculous. Anyway, 8 months seems too late to me, but I do think newborns can't breathe through their mouths. Maybe that's a wive's tale?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Banned

That part is actually true. Mouth breathing is not a natural instinct for newborns. They are naturally nose breathers which is why they get so distressed with stuffy noses.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:53 PM

It actually IS TRUE. a baby cannot breathe through it's mouth for several months after birth. my ped explained to me when I was so frustrated at my newborn's stuffiness during the first few weeks of life. I figured "if there is so much mucous, why doesn't she just breathe through her mouth?" But ped said that they cannot do that yet. interesting isn't it? i had no idea either!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:56 PM

Wow. Learn something new every day.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 05-06-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well then I guess color me embarassed.

Although I still don't get what that has to do with breastfeeding or co-sleeping.

Also, when baby is crying it is definately taking air in and pushing it out through it's mouth. Is it not? Is it that they're physically not capable? Or that they just don't know how to control it?

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
Old 05-06-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckC View Post

Although I still don't get what that has to do with breastfeeding or co-sleeping.

Also, when baby is crying it is definately taking air in and pushing it out through it's mouth. Is it not? Is it that they're physically not capable? Or that they just don't know how to control it?
Why don't you ask your GFIL since he seems to know all about this? JK, of course. I have no idea why they can't breathe through their mouths. I'm curious, too now.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckC View Post

I think they just don't know how to coordinate the different muscle groups to do it on purpose.

senior majikfaerie cult member
Old 05-06-2008, 11:36 PM

I have a ten month old and I know she can but still she freaks out if her nose is blocked in any way. Every time I wipe her nose she stops breathing and starts panicking. I have to be ready to do it and do it as quick as possible.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:56 PM

My Dr told me they don't usually learn this till 4-5 months, hence, why newborns sneeze all the time.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

Old 05-07-2008, 12:03 AM

They're obligate nose breathers.

I always thought that was a funny term.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
Old 05-07-2008, 07:34 AM

My DS scared me silly when he woke up with a stuffy nose in the middle of the night, when he was about three weeks. Every time he tried to take a breath his eyes got really wide and panicked, like he was suffocating. I still get distressed when I think about that look on his face.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
Old 05-07-2008, 11:05 AM

My LC told me they just don't know they can breathe through their mouths. DD has had a stuffy nose and she definitely breathed through her mouth at night sometimes.

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .

User Tag List