Co-sleeper type set-up for older baby/toddler? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The co-sleepers I see online are for babies under 30 lbs., but they say that as soon as baby can roll or crawl around that they should not be used. Is there a co-sleeper for older babies? Or do co-sleeper using moms use them for older babies anyway? Or is there another type of co-sleeper-like set-up that I don't know about?
#2 of 7 Old 05-27-2008, 12:55 PM

Unfortunately, I think the only thing you can do is use the bottom portion of the co-sleeper after they are mobile. We used a PnP at the side of our bed until DD was a year and then moved her to a crib. It's kind of a pain having to bend over, but at least she right next to me. We chose to put DD in her own room, but you could certainly sidecare a crib next to you to keep your LO safe.

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#3 of 7 Old 05-27-2008, 12:58 PM

Dd was always just in our bed. Some families have good luck with a crib sidecarred.

-Angela
#4 of 7 Old 05-27-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

My 9.5-month-old sleeps in our bed, but she's getting kick-y, so I was just wondering about our options since she's definitely not into being moved into her own room. Guess we'll stick to getting kicked for now!
#5 of 7 Old 05-27-2008, 09:33 PM

We have a crib sidecarred to the bed and it works great! It's one of those cribs that converts into a toddler bed, so it's designed to have one side come off. We just have it wedged up between the wall and our bed, and it gives us a whole lot more room! Plus it's on the same level as the bed, unlike the cosleeper with that stupid lip between you and the baby

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#6 of 7 Old 05-27-2008, 09:56 PM

We added a twin next to our full-sized bed at about 8 mo's - I can't believe we lasted that long in just the full, but anyway In theory, DD will eventually have the twin to herself, and it's got the the wall on 2 sides, and our bed on the other, with our mattress just about 2 inches higher than hers... In reality, I'm still sleeping on the twin with her when she comes into our room around midnight, but I like it - it feels cozy!

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#7 of 7 Old 05-27-2008, 10:42 PM

We used the co-sleeper for the first few months and then ds was in with us for a while until we moved a daybed in and "side carred" it to our king. It works really well for us and when ds is ready to be in a separate room it is the same bed we will move in there.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page