Baby wakes up crying? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-15-2008, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I have a nearly 6 mo and we cospeel and bf. Ever since he was born he would wake up in the morning really smiley and happy between me and dh. I LOVED this, and so did dh, it was our favorite part of the day and we would just all lay there together for a while and slowly wake up while we watched our smiling little angel.

Now, for some reason, for the past week or so ds wakes up every morning crying (which he never used to do at all from the time I would nurse him to sleep to the time he would wake up in the morning). Nursing doesn't stop it, so it is not that. He usually will stop if I get up and walk around the house with him, but that means waking up to a crying baby and jumping out of bed to walk with him rather than lounging and watching my lo smile at me.

I am just wondering if anyone else experienced this? What is going on? What happened to my nice peaceful mornings?
#2 of 5 Old 06-15-2008, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My babies all have done this at some point, and it always breaks my heart. I think it's just developmental, really, and not a reflection of anything you have or haven't done. My only suggestion would be not to feed into it by panicking. If getting up and walking helps, I'd do that. Sometimes I sing a "Good Morning" song to them, and that helps break the waking up blues as well.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 5 Old 06-16-2008, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. It is good to know you have experienced it too. It is just so hard for me to see him cry and so weird for nursing not to put an immediate stop to it. Hopefully it will pass and he will grow out of it.
#4 of 5 Old 06-16-2008, 01:28 AM

I've noticed too with our dd that as her digestion changes (both from getting older and eating things other than breastmilk), she often has to pass gas one way or another and is very uncomfortable laying down. She'll often wake up crying in the middle of the night, sit up, fart, then lie back down and go straight back to sleep. Our mornings are about 80/20 now: 80% crying as a wake up; 20% smiles and kisses.
#5 of 5 Old 06-16-2008, 10:40 AM

When my baby woke/wakes up crying, it's almost always a sign that he isn't really done sleeping yet. Cuddles and nursing and he goes back to sleep.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page