new mattress offgassing... worried about newborn, any ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2008, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We bought a new Tempurpedic King size bed last September. I smelled AWFUL for about 2 months. We slept with the windows open and several fans on for a really long time. It doesnt smell now so as you'd notice... but I am concerned since it is so "new" still.... We will be having baby #2 the end of Sept/1st of Oct... and of course we plan to co sleep...

I have read so much about new mattresses being the cause of SIDS in some cases (I know its not the ONLY cause every time) and I am wondering if its safe to have the newborn on the bed. We also have a sidecar that our 2 yr old sleeps in right now... I could put the nb in the sidecar and move the 2 yr old back to our bed, which I will probably do in the begining anyway.... but ...

Gah I dont know. This is just something my pregnant brain decided to worry about.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 04:59 PM

I had my DS a year after we bought out Tempurpedic, and he co-sleeps. He's 7 mos now.

Granted, it seemed like he was not in the bed with us for ages - he liked to sleep in arms... but we were all OK.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Old 06-30-2008, 10:33 PM

I think you are on the right track being cautious with a newborn and Tempurpedic. I personally wouldn't do it. Have you looked into mattress wrapping? It is quite common in New Zealand and has had quite an impact on SIDS. I don't know if you can wrap a king size Tempurpedic. Maybe a great air filter, open windows and bassinet are the answer to cosleeping until your little one is past the SIDS danger.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it too late to return it?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 07-01-2008, 08:12 AM

If your finances allow it, then I would _really_ try to get an organic mattress if you want your newborn to sleep on it with you.

We used to have a Tempur Pedic - silly me thought that the standards they have in Germany (concerning off-gasing, etc.) are the same everywhere, but they aren't.

We felt so much better (physically!) when the TP was out of our house - seriously.

We ordered a nice, organic mattress and are very happy with it.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:48 AM

I recently got a tempurpedic 1 week before my son was born, he's 8 months now. When he was born he slept on us for months, so by the time he was actually sleeping in the bed the smell was gone & we are very sensitive to smells. I will note from time to time there is some outgassing from the bottom of the bed that hasn't been aired out as much.

-if u can put the mattress in the sun
-put a layer or more of blankets or towels under the sheets - so the dont bunch up under baby
-air out the mattress as much as possible - with the zip cover off (for the first few weeks I did this whenever we weren't in the bed)
-wash the zip cover often
-un-make the bed, a covered bed will keep it from airing out.
-do not use anything to mask the smell, febreeze, etc... only makes it worse.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:46 AM

You could probably sell it for a very good price. If you have the means, I would do that and move to a mattress that doesn't off gas. Savvy Rest is a great choice and similar in price to tp. If that isn't an option, I would put as much barrier as you can between the actual mattress and you and the baby. Wool mattress pad topper etc.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

User Tag List