What do you do to avoid waking your baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-12-2008, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've noticed that when I/DH come to bed (after DD has been asleep for a few hours) DD often wakes up, even though we don't turn lights on or anything and try to come in very quietly. Do other co-sleepers notice the same thing? Is there anything you do to avoid waking up your LO?

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-13-2008, 12:39 AM

It depends on the night. Sounds like you are doing everything you can. Do you go to bed around the same time each night? Trying a little earlier might help if your LO is sleeping more soundly at that point. DD is 16 months and recently she started staying asleep when we come to bed most nights.
#3 of 5 Old 07-13-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion--going to bed earlier sounds like a good idea for more reasons than one! *yawn* Now that I think about it, I do feel like we are often coming in at the time in her sleep cycle when she's a bit restless anyway.

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

#4 of 5 Old 07-13-2008, 05:54 PM

Some simple things that make a big difference here--

-White noise- lots of it
-A dark room, I know you say you don't turn on any lights, but some peoples rooms are just light anyway. For my little ones the darker the better.
-Comfortable temp, and pjs. This can very so much, you have to find out what works for your kid. My middle has always slept much better cold then in pjs. From the time he was a newborn, he slept better in just a diaper. For many kids tags or organic pj can sometimes help.
-Comfortable humidity. Espcially in the winter, a dry stuffy nose can make it more difficult to sleep soundly.

None of these are magic cures, just things that seem to make my kids more likely to roll over and go back to sleep after a mild disturbance then wake all the way up.
#5 of 5 Old 07-13-2008, 09:36 PM

I take out his hearing aids.

See, there are some perks to parenting a child with a disability. Nights have always been time for sleeping for my babe because days are noisy and nights are boring. But then, we never had the option of shhhing or using white noise.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page