Newbie preparing for #1 - will this work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-03-2008, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're expecting our first in January and plan to co-sleep. The problem we have is that our mattress is a super-soft king-size pillow-top that's 18" deep (and we're unwilling to part with it). But, I think it's way too cushy to have a baby sleep in safely. So we're planning to get a firmer twin-size bed and push it right next to our mattress, with a box spring and whatever frame puts it at the same height as ours (and no box spring or frame under ours, which would just be on the floor since it's already so deep). We'd have a bed rail on the other side of the twin to protect the baby from falls.

Do you think this will work (as in: be safe and convenient and let all of us sleep as much as possible while staying close)? At what age is a very soft mattress safe? Are naps alone in an adult bed safe? Why does this seem so confusing to me?!
TIA!

Edited to add:
Do you let your pets sleep with you and your baby? We have two cats who always sleep with us and I can't imagine kicking them out of the bedroom - I don't think anyone would sleep, they'd protest so much! Does this work out for you?

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-04-2008, 12:26 AM

I would be too scared of the crease between the two beds being an entrapment hazard. You'd be better off putting the single mattress on the floor (away from the wall) and sleeping on it with the baby.
#3 of 9 Old 08-04-2008, 12:59 AM

Congratulations on your baby! I don't know about the mattresses, but yes, the pets sleep with us! I let her nap in the bed, but as of now she barely rolls over. I don't have a plan yet for when she's more mobile, but I'll figure something out!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#4 of 9 Old 08-04-2008, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
I would be too scared of the crease between the two beds being an entrapment hazard.
Hmmm, what about using a foam bed joiner thing? Like this, except on top of the sheets: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Prod...&SKU=12184352&

Or a co-sleeper pad spread over the twin and part of the king? This: http://www.amazon.com/Humanity-Famil...822437&sr=1-17

Wouldn't the two beds pushed together, if they were just mattresses and box springs on a carpet, stay together just fine?

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#5 of 9 Old 08-04-2008, 10:05 AM

I think that's an excellent plan! I'd bungee cord everything together, just to avoid slippage and maybe lay a thin blanket over the area where the mattresses meet, under the sheets.

We have two cats who sleep with us regularly. I was a little concerned about one because she's our "face cat" she likes to be up by your neck. As it turns out she's terrified of the baby and doesn't go near him so she either sleeps on a pillow above the head of whoever is farthest away from the baby or at the foot of the bed. We never kicked them out although when he was small and there were middle of the night diaper changes they would voluntarily go sleep somewhere else pretty frequently.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#6 of 9 Old 08-04-2008, 11:23 AM

I think that will work just fine and I don't think it is a hazard as long as everything is secured together very tightly (I like the bungee cord idea, with my crib I use zip ties but that isn't an option without frames)...its like side caring a crib only you are using another mattress. I would certainly use a bed seam joiner, they are really great!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#7 of 9 Old 08-04-2008, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I think that would work too with some safety preparations...

If you don't want the expense right now, you could always look into something like a snuggle nest do your baby can sleep in your bed for the first few months.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2266117

Or a cosleeper..
www.armsreach.com
#8 of 9 Old 08-04-2008, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeyZoo View Post
If you don't want the expense right now, you could always look into something like a snuggle nest do your baby can sleep in your bed for the first few months.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2266117
Hmmm... Do babies like the snuggle nest? Those side bolsters seem so restrictive! I'm a little worried about the sloping of the bed - there are dips where DH and I sleep, so if the snuggle nest was on the edge, I think it might angle sideways into me. And if it was in the middle, I'd be worried about DH not being aware while he slept and throwing his arm out or piling the comforter on top of the baby.
Does anyone have experience with these?

About what age would it be safe to have the baby sleep in a cushy bed with us (without the nest thing)? Is it when they can lift their heads or older than that?

Thanks!

#9 of 9 Old 08-05-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel616 View Post
Hmmm... Do babies like the snuggle nest? Those side bolsters seem so restrictive! I'm a little worried about the sloping of the bed - there are dips where DH and I sleep, so if the snuggle nest was on the edge, I think it might angle sideways into me. And if it was in the middle, I'd be worried about DH not being aware while he slept and throwing his arm out or piling the comforter on top of the baby.
Does anyone have experience with these?

About what age would it be safe to have the baby sleep in a cushy bed with us (without the nest thing)? Is it when they can lift their heads or older than that?

Thanks!
Contrary to popular belief, babies can lift their head from birth, especially to avoid suffocation- it is instinctive after all. They are much less fragile than most people believe, but its holding their head up that takes a while to achieve. However I dont know the answer to that last question because my baby is only 3 weeks old and has only been home with us for 10 days.

I do have some limited experience with the snugglenest. I believe there are two models, I have the one without the incline or built in light. However baby seems to have no problems sleeping in it, and rolling over on him isnt really a concern because you are supposed to place the top against the headboard. The only thing I dont like about it is it creates too much of a separation between my partner and I - we cant even kiss. So if that wouldnt bother you I think it is a great option and definately a low cost alternative to many of the pricier options. You could also avoid the aforementioned problem by putting it on the edge of the bed between you and a bedrail. We dont have a bedrail so the center is the only choice for us right now.

Good luck!

linzee

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page