Baby rolling onto stomach to sleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-21-2008, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS who is almost 5 weeks old and is bedsharing has taken to rolling on his tummy when sleeping at night. He normally sleeps on his side facing me and has occasionally flipped to his front to sleep but last night was doing it constantly. I had to keep flipping him back to his front but he'd just flip right back again. He literally rolls over into a fetal position with his face squashed into the bed. Freaks me out! He does the same thing when he sleeps against me but squishes his little face into me instead. What are the safety precautions I need to take with him?

During the day when he's napping I've started putting a rolled up receiving blanket next to him so he can't roll onto his front. Seems to be working so far.
#2 of 8 Old 08-21-2008, 07:50 PM

If baby is turning over on his own, IMO, it's OK. But that's just me.

My aunt calls baby-noses "snorkels". They are hard cartilage, and she feels they are made to find air when you think there's no air to find. Picture a baby face smooshed into breasts for milk, with nose-snorkel keeping a small space for air.

For me, if he were mine, I wouldn't see much of a problem.
#3 of 8 Old 08-22-2008, 07:07 PM

My DS always tries to roll onto his stomach (and most time he succeeds) - we co sleep with a sidecarred crib. I just let him, he sleeps better that way. I'm comfortable with him stocmach sleeping.

Wife to Hank , Mommy to Gabriella 6.5 yrs Anthony 28 monthsand 3 angels wait for me in Heaven Praying to be a Proverbs 31 woman!!
#4 of 8 Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 PM

my dd does this too. i think it helps with her gas. she will toss and turn until she is on her stomach then out like a light. except it scared the crap out of me because she is absolutely face down! she does it too in the sling. her face is stuffed in my cleavage! its funny looking.

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
#5 of 8 Old 08-22-2008, 10:45 PM

If he is doing it himself I would let him be. Just make sure the area around him is clear (no loose blankets, too soft a bed, etc).

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#6 of 8 Old 08-23-2008, 05:20 PM

If he does it himself, I say let him. DS#1 would NOT sleep on his back and only slept on his side if he was beside me. Other than that it was on his stomach if you wanted him to sleep at all. Funny now that he's 4, he almost exclusively sleeps on his back

DS#2 would sleep on his back.

DS#3 who is only 8 weeks old will sleep on his side - for anywhere form 45 minutes to 2 hours or so but if you put him on his stomach (which he will roll to if he is able) will sleep for about 5-7 hours ,you can guess how he usually sleeps

SAHMhomeschool.gif: to LCjog.gif (6-08) GJsuperhero.gif (3-06) KDREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif (3-04) and a new little on one the way1sttri.gif: and :megan, henrie, and apple and wife to BD for 12years now!!
#7 of 8 Old 08-23-2008, 08:36 PM

DD always rolled onto her face too..and now DS is doing it too(at almost 2 weeks). He HATES to be on his back(like me).

I wouldn't worry too much about it. They say once they can turn over on their own, it is safer. It is a problem when they can't roll themselves over.

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#8 of 8 Old 08-24-2008, 01:20 AM

I agree with pp. I would let him be. All three of my children slept this way. If they were rolled on their sides or back, they would not sleep well. Just make sure there is nothing around the baby and the bed is firm.

Mama to 3 wonderful children
intactlact.gifgoorganic.jpgfamilybed2.gifbfolderchild.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page