feeling rage when putting the baby to sleep--update & another question - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2008, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please go easy on yourself. I have no medical issues, am a full time stay at home mom, and I used to feel those same feelings of rage with my first child at bedtime. Just reading your post brought back some really dark memories for me.

I really have no solution for you, other than to remind you that it will end. I promise, it really will. I know you know this logically, but when you're laying there, being pummeled, wanting to scream, it feels like this will be your life forever. But pretty soon he will sleep. You have so much on your plate right now, but it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job, and before you know it, he will be sleeping longer and longer.

One practical suggestion, however. How much caffeine do you drink? If you are nursing, it's possible that your baby is sensitive to caffeine. My first wasn't, but my second was - if I had caffeine after 3pm he had a really hard time sleeping. Just a thought . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

So...I took all of your suggestion to heart. my mom is helping me out with keeping ds's room clean, since she watches him M-Th. she also washed and folded some of his clothes today too.

In a couple months I will be getting some financial aid money and I have my eye on a full size platform bed from ikea. right now we sleep in a twin daybed which is kind of tight. what if I got the platform bed and then a toddler bed right near it in my room, to give us each our own space but still leaving an open invitation to cosleep? Has anyone done this with a baby under a year? I could still put a bedrail on the toddler bed, but it would be low to the ground and the one I'm thinking of I could stand up during the day and store, to give me more space in my room. This is the advantage over the pnp which is a pain to undo every night.(plus ds is NOT a fan of anything with "walls"....he likes to sleep on the big bed; I don't see him being any happier int he pnp in my room than in the crib) he would be around 10 months when I do this. fwiw he is already creeping holding onto things and can get down out of his stroller and carseat feet first. does this seem crazy? then ds can actually sleep right near me while I work on the LAPTOP I'm buying with that same financial aid $$....

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 AM

I would skip the toddler bed (based on my children-- yours could be different). Put him right to sleep in your bed, but teach him how to get off the bed properly. Children can learn this very early! Put up a bed rail when you aren't there, pillows to block the sides, or just put the mattress right on the floor.

I am so glad for a happy update! Thinking of you!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 09-04-2008, 12:56 PM

I feel you.

I ended up making all kinds of compromises and imperfect decisions because of just absolutely needing time I didn't have.

Try listing to really loud angry music on earphones when you're traveling or between classes or something... get the rage out.

You love your baby, and you're doing what you can. Keep it up, mama.

treehugger.gif
Old 09-04-2008, 03:31 PM

I would probably go with a full size mattress on the floor with a crib mattress on one side of it, if you want him to have his own space. No risk of falling, and easy for both of you.

I have said it so many times I probably sound like I'm advertising for them, but I love this bedrail, and it's cheap. If you get a bed, get one without a platform that extends beyond the mattress so you can sidecar his crib/toddler bed. Then you have your own space, but are still close enough to co-sleep.

I'm so glad your mom is helping!

User Tag List