you know you have a crappy sleeper when.... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
1  2  3 4 
Co-sleeping and the Family Bed > you know you have a crappy sleeper when....
colleentara's Avatar colleentara 09:25 PM 12-15-2008
I really needed to find this post today!!! Thank you--I was feeling so isolated and all around crappy... but reading these had me laughing out loud.

You know you have a crappy sleeper when....

* your husband's suggestion of a baby sedative begins to sound like a reasonable idea.

Mirta's Avatar Mirta 01:25 AM 12-17-2008
So glad that bumping this old thread helped someone besides me!

See, you really aren't alone in your misery... we're crying with you!

Sleep babies sleep!!! Sleep toddlers sleep!!!
lawschoolmama's Avatar lawschoolmama 09:48 AM 12-17-2008
Right there with ya mama. I have this fantasy of leaving DS at home with DH for a whole day, going to a hotel, asking for their quietest room, checking in and sleeping ALL.DAY.LONG.


I miss my old friend, Sleep. Maybe one day in the future we shall meet again.[/QUOTE]


This. Totally this. My constant dream.
LuxPerpetua 10:07 PM 12-17-2008
As a mom of a crappily sleeping 3-year old, I love this thread. Thank you for making me not feel totally alone.

You know you have a crappy sleeper when

*You have chucked The No Cry Sleep Solution across the room and vow to do the same should you ever meet Elizabeth Pantley in person

*You get migraine headaches from the sleep deprivation

*You burst into tears whenver your hubby closes his eyes to rest for a few minutes on his weekends off

*You are actually surprised when you write coherently

*You not only can't remember the meanings of words like "ephemeral" and "esoteric" but you can't even recall how to spell them (had to look these up), and then once you look them up in the dictionary you can't remember what you read 10 minutes later

*You refuse to discuss sleep with any other mother on this planet unless it's in a thread about other crappy sleepers
guest9921's Avatar guest9921 05:17 AM 12-18-2008
Oh I am so so so so so here.
I have a friend who had a 3.5 year old who slept from ~8pm-7am. Ugh. UGH. UGH!

My kids? Eh. I'd say we get maybe 3-4 nights a month of solid sleep. (Waking a few times to nurse, of course, but that doesn't count.)

My BIL said to DP the other day at dinner, "Don't you think it might be easier to just - you know, put them on a schedule or something?"
laughup
Oh, yeah, thanks childless BIL, we never thought of that.

You know you have a crappy sleeper when...

-You end up on a nocturnal sleeping schedule every once in a while, and it doesn't bother you all that much, as long as you get *sleep*.
guest9921's Avatar guest9921 05:18 AM 12-18-2008
*When you've cancelled countless appointments because of how your previous night went.
kalamos23's Avatar kalamos23 05:51 AM 12-18-2008
*When you seriously want to strangle DH for saying he "is so tired" not forgetting the fact that every 15-30 minutes, while your baby woke up, he was SNORING!

*When the thought of peeing your pants sounds like a logical decision rather than chancing taking the sleeping baby out of the wrap and going to the bathroom.

*when you wonder if maybe going formula fed, CIO would have gotten you more sleep.

*when the thought of NEVER having another 8 hours (heck, I'd settle for 2 hours straight) of sleep for years makes you teary.
Theoretica's Avatar Theoretica 10:23 AM 12-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post
*When you seriously want to strangle DH for saying he "is so tired" not forgetting the fact that every 15-30 minutes, while your baby woke up, he was SNORING!

*When the thought of peeing your pants sounds like a logical decision rather than chancing taking the sleeping baby out of the wrap and going to the bathroom.

*when you wonder if maybe going formula fed, CIO would have gotten you more sleep.

*when the thought of NEVER having another 8 hours (heck, I'd settle for 2 hours straight) of sleep for years makes you teary.
Yeah to this, and all of every single previous post!

-When DH complains he's so tired cause he 'didnt get much sleep' cause he CHOSE to be online till the wee hours. Then when he came to bed he jostled it, woke up the baby (balanced precariously into the crook of my arm, FINALLY asleep) and I'm FUMING and thinking of VERY inappropriate uses for his pillow...grrrrr!

I have more. But I've been up for HOURS and I'm exhausted.
zzzzzzzzzzz.........
Bellevuemama
veganone's Avatar veganone 04:41 PM 12-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post

You know you have a crappy sleeper when

*You have chucked The No Cry Sleep Solution across the room and vow to do the same should you ever meet Elizabeth Pantley in person

*You refuse to discuss sleep with any other mother on this planet unless it's in a thread about other crappy sleepers
Both of these, but add throwing anyone who recommends the NCSS to you as well. Frankly, anyone with any sleep advise. My personal favorite - "have you tried nursing to sleep?" Yes, that fixes night wakings, thank you.
petram's Avatar petram 08:52 PM 12-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
When it takes you loger to get her down for a nap than she actually naps.
oh, that is me! an hour and a half to achieve a 30 minute nap!!
petram's Avatar petram 08:57 PM 12-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
Oh yeah - I've even asked the ped for a referral to a sleep clinic or specialist.

I forgot one:
*When lack of sleep changes your baby making plans from 2 to just this one.
that's me too. both asking the pediatrician, and only wanting one child now that we've seen how this one sleeps
petram's Avatar petram 09:06 PM 12-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
~ When you're glad it's morning just because it means the night is over, even though you haven't slept. Yup that's how bad the nights are. *le sigh* Why am I still waking up 7 or 8 times a night with a 2yo? I swear I get less sleep than newborn parents. Heck MY dd slept better as a newborn, too bad it didn't last.:
hilarious! i'm so the same. i'm cracking up reading these posts, summing up my life! and now he's finally asleep and i've got the insomnia.......
kalamos23's Avatar kalamos23 05:29 AM 12-19-2008
I got a new one...

*when you don't have to worry about birth control because you never have sex... because the baby never sleeps!
petram's Avatar petram 08:15 AM 12-19-2008
* when you lie rigid with fear because you suddenly remember you forgot to take the phone of the hook and your little one is finally asleep (you know what will happen if you move to take it off now.........)

*when your secret secret, but only hope is that, without hurting himself, your baby accidentally falls off the family bed and hits his head, knocking that sleep mechanism back into place. I am the most evil mama right?
lurve's Avatar lurve 10:21 AM 12-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post
*When the thought of peeing your pants sounds like a logical decision rather than chancing taking the sleeping baby out of the wrap and going to the bathroom.
this is so me except change out wrap with bed! i have gone so far as to eye the female urinals on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Each-Feminal-F...689094&sr=8-18

and yes, i am writing this at 5:30 in the morning and yes, DD has been up for two hours already. and yes, i started this thread and things haven't gotten any better. well, except now i know i am in good company.
now, sleep little babies, sleep!
editornj's Avatar editornj 11:10 AM 12-22-2008
OK, I know these should sort of be funny, but it is so, so sad.

You know you have a crappy sleeper when

*you get really good at holding your breath a long time, because you unconsciously do this when your LO looks like he will finally close his eyes.

*you look like you've been beaten up. But it's only because your LO kicks and claws at you when in a wrap or being held in a dim room (with soft music playing or you singing sweetly)

*when you consider CIO every nap- and bedtime. But you know you'd never try it.

*you've never been able to move your sleeping baby. (Even during the newborn months when everyone says is the time to sleep train.) And you'd never try because you worked too hard to blow it with a luxury like having the baby sleep independently.

And, the one that really makes me feel alone...

*when you discuss sleep with other parents, they cock their heads to one side as they're thinking of suggestions (that you know won't work because you've tried them a million times) and you just KNOW they think it's your fault.
editornj's Avatar editornj 11:52 AM 12-22-2008
oh wait, one more.

you know you have a crappy sleeper when

*the term "put baby down" for a nap or to bed is a sick, sick joke
Theoretica's Avatar Theoretica 02:50 PM 12-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by editornj View Post
oh wait, one more.

you know you have a crappy sleeper when

*the term "put baby down" for a nap or to bed is a sick, sick joke


As I sit here w/snoozing bb in arms, typing away at MDC and cursing the phone that got left on down the hallway...cause only NOW does it begin to ring. And ring. And ring. So I'm 'whisper yelling' for DD to come here so I can explain to her that I REALLY need her to go turn the phone off, but she doesn't completely get what I'm saying cause it's ringing.

ARGH!!!!!!

Must. Not. Wake. Sleeping. Baby!
Bellevuemama
georgiegirl1974's Avatar georgiegirl1974 10:19 PM 12-22-2008
when your almost 3-year old wakes 4 times btw 12:30 and 6:30 even though you haven't nursed her at night for two weeks (when oh when will she "get" nightweaning)

when you think having a "typical" newborn would be easier than you almost 3-year old sleeper
veganone's Avatar veganone 03:24 AM 12-26-2008
Oh man - if she's not sleeping by 3 years I'm definitely not having another one...

YKYHACSW...

you pee every 20 minutes from whenever she goes to bed until you go to bed. Once I go to bed (when she wakes up next time) that's it for the night so I try to make sure my bladder is completely empty whenever that is!
lurve's Avatar lurve 09:26 AM 04-03-2009
oay, i am just bumping up my own thread because well, i still have a crappy sleeper and it's been four months since this thread got started and 26 months since i have had sleep! this week she has been waking up every night and staying awake from about one to four am.
they say that sleep regression occurs* right before a big developmental milestone. well watch out world, my DD is going to be the best brain surgeon/rocket scientist/peace maker that you ever saw!!

*of course for "sleep regression" one has to sleep first.....ooops.
Terpsfan's Avatar Terpsfan 11:25 AM 04-03-2009
Oh my favorite thread!!! Love you guys! My latest...

- when you are filling out the "about my toddler" sheet at daycare and the line for Special Napping instructions you say "You tell me! She sleeps longer at daycare than she does at home!". Seriously, DD sleeps for 2 hours straight on a little cot surrounded by 8 other toddlers. On the weekends, I am lucky to get 30 mins and that is with her in arms. Screaming banshee if I try to put her in her crib for naps. I just don't understand.

I am convinced also that we have a rocket scientist here as we are going on a 16 month sleep regression. She's going to start speaking 7 languages or something...
Lusa's Mom's Avatar Lusa's Mom 05:36 PM 04-03-2009
All of the moms I know in real life have perfect children who sleep through the night w/o being attached to the boob.


You know they are lying right?!
That is the best advice my expert mom friend told me. All those people with perfect children are lying.


BTW I heard if you don't get enough REM sleep you go crazy. What's the time frame on that? 2-3 years?
Lusa's Mom's Avatar Lusa's Mom 05:43 PM 04-03-2009
*When the thought of peeing your pants sounds like a logical decision rather than chancing taking the sleeping baby out of the wrap and going to the bathroom.


the thought above made me realize...

*When you only wear pants with elastic/ties so you can just pull them down one handed rather than disturb the sleeping baby in the wrap.
Loralz's Avatar Loralz 08:01 PM 04-03-2009
[QUOTE=lurve;13488630]oay, i am just bumping up my own thread because well, i still have a crappy sleeper and it's been four months since this thread got started and 26 months since i have had sleep! this week she has been waking up every night and staying awake from about one to four am.
they say that sleep regression occurs* right before a big developmental milestone. well watch out world, my DD is going to be the best brain surgeon/rocket scientist/peace maker that you ever saw!!

Oh man! This is so what I've been saying this week, as Iz takes naps, but wakes up every. hour. at. night. Ack! She's going to be curing cancer in the next couple of months at this rate.
Ceinwen's Avatar Ceinwen 08:23 PM 04-03-2009
This thread is hilarious!

But here's my contribution...

You know you have a crappy sleeper when - you call the neighbour you don't know very well to come and take the baby because you are out of support resources and you're afraid you're going to hurt her.

True story. Good way to bond with your community, that's for sure.

The woman next door to me has three LOs and we'd said hi and small talk over the fence.

Bet she was surprised to see me one night at three am, babe in arms, asking her to please help me because I had no one and I couldn't take anymore crying.
RubySlippers's Avatar RubySlippers 08:59 PM 04-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirta View Post
--you have not one, but THREE books on improving your child's sleep checked out from the library
...and you're too tired to actually read them.

I so relate to this thread - my almost 3 yr old has been doing really well this week (my hopes are getting up that there is light at the end of the tunnel), but wow, I've felt most of the things here, and not really had any one irl who's experienced the same.
mamabearsoblessed's Avatar mamabearsoblessed 01:40 PM 04-15-2009
you take to threatening your dh/dp if he/she farts in the night and wakes the baby you *will* inflict bodily harm
its the old 'if I can't fart, you can't fart" rule in our house
mamabearsoblessed's Avatar mamabearsoblessed 01:41 PM 04-15-2009
oh~ and she wakes herself when she farts... it's a lose -lose :



Lynn08's Avatar Lynn08 02:46 PM 04-15-2009
mamas

sleep, little ones, sleep
1  2  3 4 

Up