Need some support... 2 year old screaming/crying uncontrolably at bedtime - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-15-2008, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds always needed to be parented down to bed (usually mommy). Now he is throwing fits when I try to get him to sleep. My husband is no support because he says to close the door and let him cry :
Should I expect a 2 year 4 month old to go to sleep on his own crying??? What is going on here? What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-15-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

I should add he is very strong willed and taken to crying, whining, hitting, and yelling during the day to try to get what he wants. Oh the stress... This is a new one around. DD is 4 months old. Is it jealousy?
#3 of 7 Old 11-15-2008, 09:46 PM

Could be jealousy, though I just have one (and she's 15 mo.), so I don't know. Someone in my LLL had a problem with DD nighttime meltdowns and solved the problem by moving up bedtime by 15 min. increments so it was hours earlier.

Sounds very hard, and sounds like you're doing everything you can!
#4 of 7 Old 11-15-2008, 10:31 PM

We had a VERY difficult time with dd at that age. We would lie there with her until she stopped crying and fell asleep. She did not cry alone. She just did not want to go to bed, no matter how tired. There wasn't much else we could do, I did not want to CIO.
#5 of 7 Old 11-15-2008, 10:49 PM

Do you have a routine that is enjoyable for your LO? I just recently had to start a very strict routine with DS and it seems to be helping with the night time battles a little. We read a story or two downstairs, head upstairs, brush teeth, change diaper, get jammies on, nurse, sing lullabies, and he snuggles onto his sheepskin and holds his baby (doll) while I finish up with the lullabies and rub his back and face.

I know it doesn't sound as involved as some routines I have read about on here, but he knows what it all is leading up to, and he seems to enjoy most parts of it, so he looks forward to bedtime.

Maybe you could change your routine if you have one too? I know that DS sometimes needs to have things shaken up in order to stay on track occasionally.

Not sure if this helps, but it definitely sounds frustrating.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#6 of 7 Old 11-15-2008, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well tonight I chased ds around the house. Then he said "want to dance?" (so cute) So I turned on the radio and we danced and danced until ds sat down on the couch seemingly exhausted. So I started the bed time routine and he fell asleep so much easier. Hopefully this is the problem (that he needs to burn off some extra energy). Here hoping. Thanks for the help.
#7 of 7 Old 11-16-2008, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ahh! Sounds like you found some solution to your problem!

I will add that in our case, dd1 is afraid of the dark and sleeps better with some light on. : I wonder if that affects him.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page