Teaching a five year old math... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, this is not necessarily what I was planning to do, but my 5 year old wants to learn math. We already do some simple word problems out loud: if you have 3 apples and I give you 2 more, how many would you have. We've also used small items like erasers and such to show simple addition and subtraction in the past.

But she has expressed the interest in knowing more. She's not yet in kindergarten. She says she's doesn't like her preschool anymore. I asked her why. She didn't have an answer. After ruling out that she is okay with her teacher, her friends, etc, I asked her do you like what you are learning? She said no. I said what do you want to learn? She said, "I want to learn math".

What would you do for a five year old who wants to learn math? She gets numbers/quantities and things. She can do simple addition/subtraction (maybe up to 5 maybe more, I don't know we hadn't really tried much). We play the standard kid games for her age: Hi-ho Cherry O, Chutes and Ladders.

She's seen me work with her sister (7), and she seems to want more formal exercises.

So what do I do to meet that need? Where do I start for a child that young? I'm not planning to homeschool (at the moment), but she wants to know more. Maybe it's just a passing fancy, but I don't want to ignore it if it's not.

WWYD?

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#2 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 01:16 PM

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/B...hp?item_id=901
This book looked interesting to me, but we were beyond it by the time it came out!

Here's a description:
Dr. Wright's Kitchen Table Math is a step-by-step guide to how you can help your child develop strong math skills and do well in school. It also includes activities and games so that you and your child can have fun while exploring these early stages of your child's mathematical journey.

Book 1 is for parents of children ages 2-8.
#3 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 PM

Well, number-theory and arithmetic stuff with manipulatives is always fun. Then there's dominoes, dice games, dot-to-dot pictures, Sudoku games, color-by-number worksheets, doing fractions with baking. And then there's the less obviously mathematical stuff like checkers, chess, backgammon, tangrams, mighty minds, LEGOs, reading a clock, puzzles, mazes, etc.
And if she wants something more traditionally-academic you could always work on mathematical reasoning or a math workbook (Kumon are good) with her.
#4 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM

That math book looks fantastic! It's going on my "things I'm going to buy when I get some more money" list. :-)
#5 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

That is so cool. Thanks for the book rec.

I'm looking at it on Amazon.com and see that they tell you what principles are important: like for instance, it doesn't matter if you count the objects in any order, you come up with the same number of objects, and that the last number you count is the number of the total items in the group. Yes, this is way basic and obvious to us adults, but really, it's still important to let the young kids know as they work though counting actual items that because they don't know it yet.

Sounds like it's going to be a very good book.
jaelsunfaire3 likes this.

#6 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessaS View Post
Well, number-theory and arithmetic stuff with manipulatives is always fun. Then there's dominoes, dice games, dot-to-dot pictures, Sudoku games, color-by-number worksheets, doing fractions with baking. And then there's the less obviously mathematical stuff like checkers, chess, backgammon, tangrams, mighty minds, LEGOs, reading a clock, puzzles, mazes, etc.
And if she wants something more traditionally-academic you could always work on mathematical reasoning or a math workbook (Kumon are good) with her.
Thanks for the ideas. So far we have many of those in our home (though haven't used them all with her, more so with dd1). She doesn't really show much interest with the chess/checkers yet (dd1 does). We have Mighty Minds but she got a little frustrated with them the other day, but she does like making patterns out of the pattern blocks we have.

I think she actually wants to write out the problems/do workbooks, though I'm not sure. But in the meantime, I'm also going to order that book so I can help reinforce what she's learning (the principles behind what she is figuring out). The soduku? Yeah, well, I'll let dh try that with her, I'm not fond of it/don't really have the patience for those games, but dh loves them.

If she really gets into it, this really makes me worried about K, because she's already reading and she's going be 6 by the time she enters into school. If she's going to walk in there with more than a basic understanding of math, I might really have to push for a grade skip for her. I've always felt this way, though because she's ahead of where her sister was at the same age with reading.

I have seen some Kumon books at the Borders (I don't know about what they have with math though), maybe I should check them out.

I have gotten some basic math workbooks at the dollar store that seem to be decent (dd1 loves them because they are bright and colorful and has pretty decent instructions and seems to explain the basics too and I love them because they are cheap). I just haven't gotten to the point of sitting dd2 down with workbooks just yet.

We've been doing dice games with dd1 to practice math facts and get her comfortable with mental addition/subtraction.

#7 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessaS View Post
Thanks for the ideas. So far we have many of those in our home (though haven't used them all with her, more so with dd1). She doesn't really show much interest with the chess/checkers yet (dd1 does). We have Mighty Minds but she got a little frustrated with them the other day, but she does like making patterns out of the pattern blocks we have.

I think she actually wants to write out the problems/do workbooks, though I'm not sure. But in the meantime, I'm also going to order that book so I can help reinforce what she's learning (the principles behind what she is figuring out). The soduku? Yeah, well, I'll let dh try that with her, I'm not fond of it/don't really have the patience for those games, but dh loves them.

If she really gets into it, this really makes me worried about K, because she's already reading and she's going be 6 by the time she enters into school. If she's going to walk in there with more than a basic understanding of math, I might really have to push for a grade skip for her.

I have seen some Kumon books at the Borders, maybe I should check them out. However, I have gotten some basic math workbooks at the dollar store that seem to be decent (dd1 loves them because they are bright and colorful and has pretty decent instructions and seems to explain the basics too and I love them because they are cheap). I just haven't gotten to the point of sitting dd2 down with workbooks just yet.

We've been doing dice games with dd1 to practice math facts and get her comfortable with mental addition/subtraction.

I might get some Kumon books for dd1, I think she's way ready to move beyond addition/subtraction from 0-12 and ready to work more with multiplication.

#8 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the AoPS link! DD is going to love that.

I'm a big fan of the Montessori math methods. It's not because the manipulatives are so fun, I swear. You can easily gather second-hand or make many of these without it costing so much $.

DS used to have a sticker Sudoku book when he was littler that was a way to do it with logic and not numbers.

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#9 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 01:56 PM

We have a color-coded Sudoku Jr. that gets some use. I've also seen game versions that use colors and shapes, instead of numbers.
#10 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervee View Post
Thanks for the AoPS link! DD is going to love that.

I'm a big fan of the Montessori math methods. It's not because the manipulatives are so fun, I swear. You can easily gather second-hand or make many of these without it costing so much $.

DS used to have a sticker Sudoku book when he was littler that was a way to do it with logic and not numbers.
I haven't moved into the Montessori math yet, but we do have other Montessori things at home. I started making bead chains, but stopped after my first set. We do have mathlink cubes too.

My head is spinning. I wanted to have things on had to help SUPPORT the lessons they learned in SCHOOL, not teach them too many things before they get there.

I asked dd2 when she got back from preschool, if she wanted to learn math playing games, or using pencil and paper, or workbooks. She said, "all" Then she said, "but don't worry, if you don't want to waste paper, we could write on the chalkboard or the dry erase board".

I never wanted to get too far ahead of things at school, but I also wanted to support whatever they wanted to learn. I'm trying to reconcile those two things.

#11 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 02:45 PM

You might check out books like The Number Devil and Penrose the Mathematical Cat. They will cover concepts she will learn in school, but also concepts they never seem to get to in school- more number theory and other discrete math topics that get shortchanged in current curricula.
#12 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ponygirl View Post
You might check out books like The Number Devil and Penrose the Mathematical Cat. They will cover concepts she will learn in school, but also concepts they never seem to get to in school- more number theory and other discrete math topics that get shortchanged in current curricula.
Dd2 loves books, so that would probably be a great addition.

#13 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 03:28 PM

Some "mathy" board games that my 5 year old enjoys are:

1. Monopoly Jr.

2. Parcheesi (uses two dice, great for addition and memorizing "math facts").

3. Money Bags (teaches American coins, skip counting by 5s, 10s,25s, making change up to a dollar). The spinner will sometimes yield a result that says you cannot use a certain coin to collect your change, so it forces you to add in interesting ways. It's a very short board game.

4. Dino Math Tracks (teaches place value by 1s, 10s, 100s and 1000s). Right now, we are playing a simplified version of the game and omitting 1000s, for my 5 year old's sake. In this version, the child rolls 3 dice and arranges them in any way he wants to make a number, then breaks it down into 1s, 10s and 100s by marching his dinosaurs down various paths.

I don't have workbook recs, because my 5 year old is not fond of them. But the games we play are excellent for teaching and reinforcing math concepts, particularly for the hands-on child. HTH.
#14 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftField View Post
Some "mathy" board games that my 5 year old enjoys are:

1. Monopoly Jr.

2. Parcheesi (uses two dice, great for addition and memorizing "math facts").

3. Money Bags (teaches American coins, skip counting by 5s, 10s,25s, making change up to a dollar). The spinner will sometimes yield a result that says you cannot use a certain coin to collect your change, so it forces you to add in interesting ways. It's a very short board game.

4. Dino Math Tracks (teaches place value by 1s, 10s, 100s and 1000s). Right now, we are playing a simplified version of the game and omitting 1000s, for my 5 year old's sake. In this version, the child rolls 3 dice and arranges them in any way he wants to make a number, then breaks it down into 1s, 10s and 100s by marching his dinosaurs down various paths.

I don't have workbook recs, because my 5 year old is not fond of them. But the games we play are excellent for teaching and reinforcing math concepts, particularly for the hands-on child. HTH.
Yeah, I forgot, we have Money bags too, and Monopoly Jr. I am thinking of adding the Dino Math Tracks too. But, the weird thing is, she's not into those games so much as her older sister is. Dd2 really wants to sit down and write the numbers down more so than play the games for some reason.
She has less patience for the games, and wants to do problems versus learn by playing games type of stuff. Why that is, I'm not sure.

#15 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, what about math + music? Are there any songs that have math in them?
Dd loves singing and listening to music.

We have the DVD of Schoolhouse Rock, which I'm going to dig out and I know it has math songs in it that she might really like. But I was wondering if there were other songs about math?

#16 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
She has less patience for the games, and wants to do problems versus learn by playing games type of stuff.
Then how about mathematical/logical reasoning stuff?
#17 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 07:26 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
There are lots of great ideas here, but I thought I'd just share another possible interpretation. It's possible that it's not the math per se that your dd wants, but the focused time at the table with you doing something grown-up and serious that you clearly value. By asking for math she may be hoping to get at the attention and approval her older sister is getting. And if that's the case, it's possible that all these creative games, experiences, manipulatives and readalouds won't truly fit the bill for your dd. They'll be fantastic for her math education, but they may not fulfil the need she's trying to express.

I ran into this with my middle dd. She saw her older siblings enjoying my attention, their nifty colourful manipulatives and sleek workbooks, and said that she wanted to do math too. She really just wanted a similar experience.

So you might find that the content is secondary to the format. I could recommend some great homeschooling math programs, but it may be that she would be outrageously happy with dollar store 1st-grade math workbooks and a tub of colourful counters -- and 20 minutes a day of your time at the kitchen table.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#18 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree with Miranda...

But I can also recommend Math-U-See - my kids love it!
#19 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Information View Post
Oh, what about math + music? Are there any songs that have math in them?
Dd loves singing and listening to music.

We have the DVD of Schoolhouse Rock, which I'm going to dig out and I know it has math songs in it that she might really like. But I was wondering if there were other songs about math?
Oh yea!! They Might be Giants "Here Come The 1,2,3'S". You can get the cd set (dvd + music cd). It's awesome. Here's a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5oht...eature=related
You can youtube lots of their videos from that album/cd.
My kids love the adding song, especially when they do it in espanol.

Our 4 year old loved the everyday math games and homework ODD had in K and first. That could be a good resource actually. Dice games, dominoes (top-it) with estimation and adding. She also enjoys using beads/pennies/cereal whatever to do basic equations. She'll put out 3 pennies, write a plus sign, put down 5 pennies, write an equal sign and put out 8 pennies.
#20 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 PM

Miranda's probably right. I also have to give my little one a coloring book to work on when my oldest works in his workbooks. And when we bake I give her a bowl and spoon and let her bang away. She always wants to do something that looks similar, even if it has nothing to do with what the oldest is doing.

Quote:
If she really gets into it, this really makes me worried about K, because she's already reading and she's going be 6 by the time she enters into school. If she's going to walk in there with more than a basic understanding of math, I might really have to push for a grade skip for her.
Yeah, you might. Oh, well. I wouldn't worry about it yet. Who knows what will happen before then? Just deal with her (and enjoy her) as she is now.

We have some cheap math workbooks we got from Staples and the content is just as good as the more expensive Kumon. We use both. But with Kumon the quality of the artwork, paper, and printing is awesome. Makes for a bit of a different experience and seems more official, KWIM?
#21 of 34 Old 01-28-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Moominmama - that definitely could be the case, dd2 tends to like to do what dd1 does.

I'll try to see what she likes/doesn't like to do with regards to the math. I think I'll still get the AOPS, because it seems like a good resource to have on hand.

Thanks so much for the wonderful suggestions! I do appreciate it so much.

And I love TMBG. They are so much fun.

#22 of 34 Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i am soooooooo excited. this just worked out for me.

i have a 3rd grader and 6th grader teaching my first grade dd math. yesterday evening they were sitting in the park with his 3rd grade gate math book and going over problems with my dd.

i couldnt have asked for a better teacher. teachers. so much so that my dd doesnt really want to study math with me. she loves telling me what she has learnt. the 3rd grader is doing algebra with her and the 6th grader is teaching her the 9 times table using his fingers in a pattern which i want to learn too as its so cool.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#23 of 34 Old 01-30-2009, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
i am soooooooo excited. this just worked out for me.

i have a 3rd grader and 6th grader teaching my first grade dd math. yesterday evening they were sitting in the park with his 3rd grade gate math book and going over problems with my dd.

i couldnt have asked for a better teacher. teachers. so much so that my dd doesnt really want to study math with me. she loves telling me what she has learnt. the 3rd grader is doing algebra with her and the 6th grader is teaching her the 9 times table using his fingers in a pattern which i want to learn too as its so cool.

Isn't that neat?

The same dd2 who wants to learn math also is the one who reads stories to dd3. It's kind of neat to see that. This week's been a wash since I'd been trying to prepare for yesterday's P-T conference and today they had ballet. But I think we're going to try some games over the weekend and see how things go.

I'm also going to create some addition and subtraction and multiplication tables in color (maybe even do that multiplication clock thing too). I realized that dd2 was also the one fascinated with studying the placemat of the presidents last spring. She figured out that Stephen Grover Cleveland was the 22nd and the 24th President.

I'd like to teach her in a way that she could look for patterns herself. If any of them, I bet she'd be able to see the patterns because she notices things like that. She is always noticing people's new haircuts and jewelry and she likes ISPY types of games and I bet her attention to details would serve her well.

#24 of 34 Old 01-30-2009, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I wanted to share this link I found:

http://math.about.com/bltricks.htm

#25 of 34 Old 01-31-2009, 07:15 AM

I am homeschooling my daughter for K. We bought the Earlybird Math books in January. The A books were too easy. She's not super into the Earlybird B books but we'll cover the material on and off the books and see what Singapore book she will test into in Sept.

I checked out some math DVDs from the library from this series:
http://www.libraryvideo.com/company_...emp.asp?prd=61

We've had them for a few weeks and I'll have to check them back in and check them out again. What was available was Number Sense, Telling Time, and Money (3 different DVDs).

Generally they are allowed to watch them on a car trip long enough for them to see the whole thing; the car DVD player is only stocked with math and Spanish videos. I also purchased the Math Circus DVD (we had the VHS previously) for the and Professor Finkle's Math grades K-1. http://www.multimediaeducators.com/dvdall.asp

Then I will just bring up math stuff when natural.

She has a time telling board game that she likes.

If she's covered K math and K reading by the fall, I'd encourage you to look at a mixed grade classroom if not acceleration. My personal experience with entering grades K and 1 with all the academic skills mastered was that I was pretty much on my own for 2 years.
#26 of 34 Old 05-01-2009, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

I've finally ordered kitchen table math.

This is some examples of what dd2 likes doing when we "do math":

http://growinginpeace.wordpress.com/...5/01/math-day/

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...athballs-1.jpg

She wrote out all the numbers from 1-100 on her dry erase board not too long ago (of course some of the numbers were written backwards, but she had the idea).

and this is something she recently built for me (the columns started out as single colored ones, she built them all following the same pattern except the one in the middle which has an extra orange). She called this a castle.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...hlinktower.jpg
So we'll see what happens.

I also ordered Guerilla Learning: How to Give Your Kids a Real Education With or Without School, since I do send my kids to school.

#27 of 34 Old 05-01-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpokey View Post

If she's covered K math and K reading by the fall, I'd encourage you to look at a mixed grade classroom if not acceleration. My personal experience with entering grades K and 1 with all the academic skills mastered was that I was pretty much on my own for 2 years.
From what I can tell, she's at about a 2nd grade reading level now.

I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens. Her social anxiety might preclude a grade skip, but I will do what I can and definitely work with the teacher. She does have an IEP in place for the selective mutism, but I'd like to see if I can't broaden it somehow to include gifted enrichment as well.

#28 of 34 Old 05-01-2009, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Information View Post
From what I can tell, she's at about a 2nd grade reading level now.

I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens. Her social anxiety might preclude a grade skip, but I will do what I can and definitely work with the teacher. She does have an IEP in place for the selective mutism, but I'd like to see if I can't broaden it somehow to include gifted enrichment as well.
She'll only be a month younger than the potential youngest according to the cut-off?

Seriously, I think you should talk to whoever at the school/district about a skip. IMO, her social anxiety may be alleviated by finding true peers, which she may be more likely to find in an older cohort.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#29 of 34 Old 05-01-2009, 09:59 PM

My littlest loves the DK "Math Made Easy" kindergarten math workbook I picked up at Borders. Like your daughter, he could answer simple addition and subtraction word problems and recognize/write numbers when we started with it.
#30 of 34 Old 05-02-2009, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joensally View Post
She'll only be a month younger than the potential youngest according to the cut-off?

Seriously, I think you should talk to whoever at the school/district about a skip. IMO, her social anxiety may be alleviated by finding true peers, which she may be more likely to find in an older cohort.
Maybe. Perhaps her social anxiety in school was in part due to kids that were loud and bouncing around like typical preschoolers do but she was not able to relate to them well.

I might try and talk to her S/N teacher. She is the one who tested her on the Bracken kindergarten readiness test just out of curiousity and dd maxed out of parts of the test. At 5.5, she tested as high as a 7 year 11 month old on most of the test, but overall her composite was 7 years 8 months. I don't know if I could use that as a starting point.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page