So tell me what you know about being introverted. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 01-30-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So thanks to Miss Information and her information I am reading up on the introverted child and I think we fit pretty well. Please tell me what you know about introverted children and adults.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 64 Old 01-30-2009, 11:21 PM

True exhaustion from being around people. Needing time alone.

I absorb other people's energies; not sure if that is introversion or something else. It is exhausting, though.

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#3 of 64 Old 01-30-2009, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are two books that have helped me understand us and really understand the differences between our family and others, they're Nurture by Nature, which is a discussion of Meyers-Briggs personality types as they apply to children (introversion and extroversion are two of the facets of personality that Meyers-Briggs uses and discusses quite a bit)...

http://www.amazon.com/Nurture-Nature...3368267&sr=8-1

This one helped when it suddenly hit me that my 2nd child is an extrovert. Quite the shocker.

and Please Understand Me II by Dave Keirsey, which uses Meyers-Briggs personality types as applied to adults (I read this first and it provided a lot of background for the other book included quite a bit of discussion of introversion and extroversion).

http://www.amazon.com/Please-Underst...3368343&sr=1-1
#4 of 64 Old 01-31-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
True exhaustion from being around people. Needing time alone
: I'm a very outgoing introvert. People who don't know me very well would probably describe me as an extrovert, but I'm not. When I'm out I'm the life of the party but I can only keep up the talkative, cheerful stuff for a few hours before I burn out and just want to crawl back into my shell. Now that I'm older and more self-confident I leave parties pretty early. There's only so much togetherness I can stand, no matter how much I like someone.

I'm very introverted at home or around close family. It's a constant source of contention in my house because my DH is a shy extrovert: he prefers to be surrounded by people and activity. He wants to spend all of his free time visiting and I just want to be alone. It's the one thing I don't like about having kids: very little time to myself. Although that's improving as they get older. My DD is definitely an extrovert but my DS is more like me, he likes to grab his LEGOs and go off by himself and just be alone for a while.

There is zero tolerance for introversion in our society. It's seen as anti-social behavior (which is why I'm under-cover).
#5 of 64 Old 01-31-2009, 11:29 PM

Just wanted to iterate what pp's have said about finding time with other people draining, and needing to have alone time to recharge. I second what Vanessa said about finding it one of the hardest things about having kids - not getting enough solitary time. It's only been recently (ds is nearly 3) that I have even a speck of personal energy to give to dh after a day with ds... and that's only sometimes. I plan on utilising my family more to look after ds this year so I can get enough down time in order to give dh (and myself) some more effort.

I can't fathom what it would be like to have more kids, for now, we are stopping at one primarily for this reason. (Yes I know, the kids will hang out with each other etc, but then there will be noise, and I don't know if I could hack that, it's another story.)

But getting back to the topic. I've known since I was a pre-teen that i'm an introvert, but I think I only got the full picture when I read "The Introvert Advantage" - can't remember the author. In fact, I cried when I read about myself in those pages, and realised that I'm not a social misfit (as my previous boyfriend had made me feel), but that it was just the way that I'm wired that made me respond in certain ways. It explained that introverts don't necessary dislike other people, just find it more natural to have deep relationships with few people rather than several more superficial relationships. Why crowds of people zap energy. And (again to refer to Vanessa's post) - hooray! - it gave me permission to leave parties early. I had to chuckle at the scenario the author writes about of bumping into other introverts hanging out in the hallway away from the crowd at parties. That happened to me ALL THE TIME!

Oh, I've read a little bit about the myers-briggs scale as well. I've taken 2 different online tests, and both times came out as an INFJ. The introversion scores were by far the most extreme - high 90%. If it's not too thread hijacking, anyone else care to share what their "type" is?
#6 of 64 Old 01-31-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessaS View Post
: I'm a very outgoing introvert.
that is exactly how I am .

I need my own space (which I don't have now, but it is okay) to think and do my thing, and don't really like people outside of my family to have access to my space.

I need a lot of time alone, or to think my thoughts and be quiet.

*A lot* goes on in my head. I am never bored, and prefer to just space out (which other people find boring). It takes me a log to time express myself completely, because the things are kind of complicated (since I've been building them in my head all day).

I would not have more then one outside activity going on at a time for an introverted child. Or maybe two--one athletic, one mental/social. But that is it. And then *lots* of free time at home.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#7 of 64 Old 01-31-2009, 11:52 PM

Vanessa, it must be a case of similar types of opposites attract! My DH is like yours; I am introverted but also very affiliative and so I have urges to meet and talk to people.

I was an I--- (can't remember the others) before college. Then I became an ENTJ, but really I am close to the line for all four; depends on my mood when I take the test. (I've only been professionally scored twice... once pre-college and once in college.)

#8 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post

*A lot* goes on in my head. I am never bored, and prefer to just space out (which other people find boring). It takes me a log to time express myself completely, because the things are kind of complicated (since I've been building them in my head all day).
:
yes, yes, yes! This is true of me also.
#9 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 01:31 AM

I *think* this is the most amazing book I ever read about introversion... talked about the biological basis behind the preference. Made me feel so much more sane, b/c I've always felt people and noise overload as such an intense physical sensation, and wondered what was wrong with me... Nothing at all, my brain just processes differently as an extreme introvert :

http://www.amazon.com/Introvert-Adva...rdr_bb_product

Totally sorry if I got the wrong book, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#10 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixilixi View Post
Oh, I've read a little bit about the myers-briggs scale as well. I've taken 2 different online tests, and both times came out as an INFJ. The introversion scores were by far the most extreme - high 90%. If it's not too thread hijacking, anyone else care to share what their "type" is?
I'm an INTJ, as is my dad. My mom is an INF* (forget if it's J or P, probably J). My daughter is also INTJ, my son ENFJ. Like I said, I've found books discussing Meyers-Briggs personality types quite helpful in understanding my birth family and my current (DH, kids) family.
#11 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 01:44 AM

Well, not having a lot of friends is to be expected. I think my mom worried about me becuase of that. I had my close friend or two and I was good. A lot of "friends" wasn't my thing. For an introvert being around people is very draining. Being around people they don't know well even more so. Having to be extra social/lively is extremely so. So don't take offense when an introverted kiddo just wants time alone to recharge. He/she is very close to those in his circle of influence. So the needing time alone doesn't mean he/she doesn't need you or enjoy people. They just need alone time too. You might read this article.
http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Fenn5.html

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#12 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 01:52 AM

I am an INTJ (strongly expressed) with developed feeling (for an INTJ), so while I am still quite typical, I have a lot of tools for showing my compassion for others. For instance, while an INTJ mum might teach swimming by throwing a flailing child off a dock and watching for signs of drowning, I would consider the effect of the method I choose on the feelings of the child, and choose according to each child's personality. Anyway, I am 100% introverted (which is how I ended up developing tools for all sorts of things that are counter-intuitive to me) and this has a complete and profound effect on how my whole life works.

I don't enjoy large groups of people (I feel like my chest is going to burst open and everything inside gush out), and absolutely cannot stand anyone knowing my private life except for the few select ones who are close to me (I feel betrayed and angry when others think it's okay to talk about things I shared only with them, but they may not have known it was shared in confidence- *everything* for me is shared in confidence irl).

I need one close friend, and two acquaintance-like friends (for me 'acquaintance' means something very different than for others; most people call the relationship 'friendship' that I call 'acquaintanceship'). My dh is an outgoing introvert who has just finally begun to grasp what I consider private and has finally stopped telling everyone he meets about my personal information (yes, this has been a major source of conflict between us). Being an introvert is very different for him than it is for me. He's INTP, also very strongly expressed. INTPs often appear as extraverts, but are not; they are chameleonic as well, making them very hard to figure out- amongst Es, they act like Es; amongst Is, they act like Is.

For me, I need lots of time to think and work at projects. I have none *at all*, and this is probably going to shorten my life by decades... It has a huge negative effect on my health, too. Imagine putting an extremely expressed extravert in solitary confinement for 24 hrs/day, 7 days/week; this is similar to how I live- an extremely expressed introvert stuck in a crowd of needy people 24/7 for 5.5 yrs so far, with no temporary release or weekend or evening or just-an-hour pass. It is a constant struggle to hold onto a thread of my self-concept. I hope I can organise something to fix this little problem I'm having; thankfully, my one close friend is moving nearby in March, and we plan to sort out our lives with one another's assistance.

I also find the vast majority of people to be energy-suckers, and I don't know why my own energy is so easily drained. Being an introvert, why isn't my energy kept inward and thereby NOT sucked by others? I haven't read anything about this and I've just recently begun to contemplate the idea here and there. It seems that extraverts gain energy while being with others; is that because they *take* it and when amongst other Es just pass it around so that everyone is giving and taking, so everyone is always full?

I have to be with very VERY low key people to not feel drained by being with them. And it's always better to be with just one other person- although not my dh; he drains my energy too. I really don't understand this and I would like to. Since we're discussing introversion, maybe someone could help me (and others) to understand what is at work in this?

I think my post is seeming like a vent. I think it might be one... Sorry. It is very hard to be an extreme introvert with no time alone, and surrounded by noisy needy people all of the time- that and because I love them, I short-circuit myself to give them all what they need, and to their benefit, being the introvert that I am, they won't have to hear much about it at all.

Sigh. Sorry. *THIS* is what it's like to be *this* introvert. :

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#13 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessaS View Post
: I'm a very outgoing introvert.
That's my middle DD. She'll talk to anyone, anytime, but the girl comes home from school, playdates and parties just completely exhausted. She needs her time alone for sure. My oldest is the opposite. She's pretty shy, but an extreme extrovert. She's the main reason we only part time homeschool. She just needs more interaction than I can provide her.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#14 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post

I think my post is seeming like a vent. I think it might be one... Sorry. It is very hard to be an extreme introvert with no time alone, and surrounded by noisy needy people all of the time- that and because I love them, I short-circuit myself to give them all what they need, and to their benefit, being the introvert that I am, they won't have to hear much about it at all.

Sigh. Sorry. *THIS* is what it's like to be *this* introvert. :
I can identify with so much of your post. I don't know how you do it. Thanks for sharing, it makes me feel like I'm not alone....

OP, sorry to post hog, it's a subject I have a vested interest in. Back to the conversation...
#15 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 09:07 AM

Like several others have stated, I feel exhausted after being around a group of people, especially loud people. I feel like they suck my energy away. This was a major problem when we moved next door to my in-laws a few years ago- my sis-in-law was driving me insane, wanting to be around me *all the time*. Eventually I realized that her personality is the type that gains energy from being around other people, whereas I feel drained after being around others too much. I don’t feel guilty the way I used to about needing time alone more than most people- if I don’t take that time alone to recharge, I feel like I’m crawling out of my skin.

DH and I are both introverts. We tag team taking care of DD in the evenings, so that we both get some alone time.

I enjoy people in limited amounts, but only in groups of one or two. Even though I enjoy socializing with folks at work, I really only feel the need to have one close friend at a time. At this point, my husband fills that need for my one close friend just fine.

For a long time, I tested as an INFP. Although the past couple time I have taken the test, I think I tested as an INTJ or INTP.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#16 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 PM

Energy suckers... yes! I had one friend that I really liked, she was fun & all, but every time I got around her, I got light-headed and felt like I had to throw up.

#17 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've tried the Meyers-Briggs thing a couple of times online, and found I was pretty much in the middle on everything except introversion-extroversion. I'm strongly introverted (which I didn't need a test to tell me.) It's hard for me to see being introverted as a disadvantage, because it's hard for me to imagine any extrovert who's much of a thinker. When do you ever get a chance to think if you're always talking to other people? (Apologies to any deep-thinking extroverts out there. I realize I'm prejudiced.)

I'd love to have more alone time, but I don't seem to find being around my kids quite as draining as some people do. I guess I can sort of ignore them even when they're there, the way you do with your parents and siblings when you're a little kid, or the way you do with crowds of strangers in public places. Not that I'm ignoring my kids all the time, of course - but if they're running around playing, I can feel basically alone, even if they're in the same room making a racket. My DP doesn't seem to be able to do this, though. He hates noise and chaos and crowds, even when the other people aren't actually interacting with him.
#18 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 05:29 PM

Rachelle, that page you linked was eye-opening, it sort of brought together impressions I'd had that hadn't quite coalesced yet. My parents are both introverts, I am normal for us. We all think we're normal, with a few things to work around when we deal with other people.

More and more as an adult, I'm realizing we're really not at all typical, and for the most part, I think that's easier to feel good about and work around in positive ways as an adult. As a kid and young adult, I could be comfortable with everybody being different because they're all individuals, but if I'd known that I am, in fact, fundamentally different from the larger group (not just being an introvert, but the whole INTJ package), that would've been harder for me to deal with. It's taken a lot of my adulthood to really appreciate what my parents have given me. (but no pressure not to screw up my kids...)
#19 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 07:44 PM

I am also an introvert. I wouldn't change it if I could. I love the fullness of thoughts, conversations and imagery I have constantly in my head. I "perform" well in public and even enjoy myself, but I prepare ahead of time if possible, and often need a nap after. My boys sports functions are difficult for me, they are so loud and high energy, and I know so many of the moms that each one feels the need to say hi. I am polite and friendly to all of them. I know it's not possible to avoid that aspect of social interaction. I want my boys friends parents to feel close to me, but I wish I didn't have to make chitchat. I enjoy seeing them play, and so I make sure that other areas of our day are incredibly simple. I often have all the food prepared for the rest of the day before we go, because I know I won't have the energy to do it when we get home. I know myself well enough to only plan one outing every day or two. I prefer having the boys friends come here, even though it's more noise, I am able to handle it.
Birthday parties are also difficult. There are always so many people, noises, activities, sights, conversations... that I feel overstimulated and want to retreat to the sidelines.

But I enjoy, truly look forward to and enjoy, time alone. I am not lonely or bored by myself. I know myself so well it's easy to like me. I'm not needing validation from outside sources. Being an introvert is a part of me I'm thankful for.

On the Meiers Briggs scale I register as an INFJ.
#20 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 PM

I'm an introvert. Fortunately, I was also an only child - so, I had plenty of alone time. But, that is a big thing - I needed alone time as a child, and I still need it now.

Large group situations exhaust me emotionally and physically. I hated school because of this - there was nothing worse than group work for me.

When I was a kid, I really disliked it when members of my family told me I needed to make more friends or stop sitting in my room alone or socialize more. I was perfectly content to be reading by myself or writing or bike riding. Or just thinking about things. That's one thing I've always enjoyed - thinking deeply about things. I enjoyed (still do) a lot of solitary activities. I had friends - but, it was usually just one or two close friends.

In high school, I skipped most of the dances - including prom. I think, for me, this was combined with introvertedness AND being asocial. People just exhaust me - seriously, lol.

The other misconception that, I find, a lot of people have is that introvertedness is not the same as shyness. I was never shy - I could do public speaking in front of crowds with no issues. I did very well in speech/debate classes. Obviously this varies in terms of kids and adults. But, being an introvert does not automatically mean being shy.

Oh - I hated when my mom would ask me questions like "how was your day" RIGHT after I got home from school. I really needed time alone, desperately without anyone asking me questions. Once I had that time alone to decompress, I was able to talk with family normally. But, before then, I got SO mad when people bombarded me with company and questions right after school.

I sometimes think people see introvertedness as something "wrong" ... I still come across that misconception. It's really a pet peeve of mine. I realize introverts are in the minority - but, there's nothing wrong with us. We're quite happy the way we are.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#21 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

I love all the responses and information. I took the test online today and guess what................I am introverted too! Not the extreme, but the more I read the book I have the more I thought I might be. I was INTJ. DH was ENF something which I figured because he is the complete opposite of me. He was 89% extrovert!!! Yikes. Then my son, 17, took it and was ENTJ but only 11% extrovert, which I really think he is a little more intro, but maybe not. What an eye opener!

Thanks guys!
#22 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 11:18 PM

I am not an introvert (meyers-briggs: ENFP), but my dh is a HUGE introvert (I know, I know, some loud, off-the-cuff extrovert had to butt in eventually).

One of the main differences I haven't noticed really mentioned is the need for internal vs external processing. It isn't that extroverts don't think deep thoughts, its just that they don't think them BEFORE they start talking or writing -- they need the stimulation of other people, noise, stuff, activity, and discussion to help them think and process things. If I am home alone with just the kids in our house (which, for the most part, is very simple), I stop being able to actually think because I need to hear or see what I am thinking to form a complete thought. I actually am at my most brilliant when I am in front of an audience or in a classroom discussion, but one on one I am often at a loss for words unless there is a lot going on around me.

Introverts, as you all know, form thoughts first, and then speak, so they often see extroverts as being shallow. We're not -- we just feed off the energy and ideas of others.

Introverts need to get away from all the stimulation and energy of others to process things in their heads. Then they can return with useful, insightful feedback on a given situation or idea. Without this processing time they become incoherent and frustrated. So extroverts need to learn to wait, let the introvert go away and think, then come back and hear them out before rushing ahead to make a decision.

But enough about me -- the other thing is that when working in an educational setting, introverts need to reflect first, then discuss. Extroverts need to discuss first, then write and reflect. So introverts thrive when they know the topic or questions before hand so they can prepare. Or when they know the situation they are walking into so they have some idea of how they might respond.

I think that it is important for more extroverted people to know this and give introverts the physical and emotional space they need to stay sane. On the other hand, I think it is important for introverts not to discredit extroverts because they need constant feedback and interaction. In family relationships where one person is very introverted, this means encouraging the more extroverted people to go out and do things without you, while you stay in your home base. That way both / all family members can return to the relationship with the energy they need to keep going.

People often think my husband is fictional, because I go out without him so much. But it works to keep us both sane.

I found the chapter on Introversion and Extroversion in Raising Your Spirited Child invaluable.

Anyway, there's my two cents. Hope it adds to the discussion.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#23 of 64 Old 02-01-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly View Post

People often think my husband is fictional, because I go out without him so much. But it works to keep us both sane.
So, my partner is not the only one who has this happen to him!

Some people still think my partner is single. While he is not a total extrovert, and definitely has some introvert qualities. He is MUCH more social than I am. I very rarely go out with him, and when I do people are shocked to know we've been together for almost 5 years. They think we JUST met, lol, simply because they have never seen me.

But, yes, your post mentions good points. I always have to step back, go away, and then think about the ideas presented. And, only then, can I come back and discuss in a rational way.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#24 of 64 Old 02-02-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly View Post
One of the main differences I haven't noticed really mentioned is the need for internal vs external processing. It isn't that extroverts don't think deep thoughts, its just that they don't think them BEFORE they start talking or writing -- they need the stimulation of other people, noise, stuff, activity, and discussion to help them think and process things.
I read that first in a book, and I need to re-read and re-read in order to really get it, as an introverted parent of an extroverted child. It's not easy when the kids need to talk so much as part of their thought process--I think some of what they're doing is typical kid stuff, but part is really inherent to who they are and how they think, and as parent I need to work on accommodating that. It's a stretch. Good reminder, Jilly.
#25 of 64 Old 02-02-2009, 12:25 AM

One of the best distinctions I've heard is that introversion/extroversion has to do with how you 'recover' energy best.

Introverts recover energy by being alone. Extroverts recover energy by being with people. So, for extroverts, being alone is draining. For introverts, being with people is draining.

So that means if you're an introvert who likes social contact (like I am), then being alone after that is crucial. Dd is an extrovert. Ds is an introvert, clearly. He HATES after school stuff because he needs the recovery time. Dd comes home from being with people and wants to find more people to be with.

I'm an INTJ - with introversion being a bit less strongly expressed than some of my other traits (I'm quite high on the TJ end; I'm working on being more tactful.)

For my kids, it's a struggle to balance their needs. We had ds in daycare 3x a week, and that was what he needed - a balance of being with people and being alone with Dad. We've got the same schedule with dd (she's 4 1/2) and she was OK with it at 2, at 3 she did daycare 3x a week and our church preschool 2x a week. At 4 she couldn't do the church preschool because they switched to MWF for 4 year olds, and so she's at home with Dad. She's going nuts and driving Dad nuts. We're strongly considering putting her in daycare 5 x a week. I never thought I'd do that.

I like Nurture by Nature and Understanding your Child's Temperament for books about this. I haven't read "The Introvert Advantage" but I have read the book by the same author "The Hidden Gifts of the Introverted Child" and it left me luke-warm. I just felt she made a lot of claims in there for which there was no basis (e.g., introverts tend to have cold feet

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#26 of 64 Old 02-02-2009, 12:27 AM

Hmm, I took one test and it put me as an ENFP, but 50 percent E and 50 percent I (wonder why it chose the E). I am more outgoing than in college, when I was a very strong I. I was perfectly happy with my little group of friends. I think I am still pretty introverted.

I find that "social things" (parties, socials) are the biggest effort I have to make--in other places where I have a defined role I do better (Sunday School teacher). Maybe that makes me an "extroverted introvert" or something, but I've certainly "worked on it." My kids are mostly introverted.
#27 of 64 Old 02-02-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
That's my middle DD. She'll talk to anyone, anytime, but the girl comes home from school, playdates and parties just completely exhausted. She needs her time alone for sure. My oldest is the opposite. She's pretty shy, but an extreme extrovert. She's the main reason we only part time homeschool. She just needs more interaction than I can provide her.
My kids are the same! My oldest is an outgoing introvert like me and my youngest is an outgoing extrovert (energy bomb!). We part-time homeschooling, as well.

Quote:
But, being an introvert does not automatically mean being shy.
Exactly, and vice-versa. My DH is a bit shy but he's very extroverted. He loves to be around other people and go to parties (he even used to work part-time as a DJ) but he has trouble meeting other people or speaking in groups, although he warms up quickly. He thrives in a group and will usually come seek my company every 30 minutes even if he's reading something really interesting. He calls in pinging. (sorry for the techno-geek joke...) I hate going to parties with him because he wants to stay all night. Whenever I can I bring the kids so that I can use them as an excuse to go. Sometimes, when we were dating, we would go to a party and he'd be there laughing and joking with his friends and then he'd turn to tell me something and I'd be slumped over on the table asleep. I am not kidding. And German parties tend to be barbecues and beer tents with loud music. Happened all of the time and it's the reason he doesn't complain anymore when I insist on separate transportation so that I can leave early. My father is the same way. He'll stay up all night working or reading but he'll fall asleep right in the middle of the party at 9pm. It's just soooo exhausting! My mother HATES that.

Another thing is that being introverted doesn't mean that you don't speak. My father, myself, and my DS are all very talkative when we're interesting in the topic and the group isn't very large.
#28 of 64 Old 02-02-2009, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

HA I am so glad my DH and I finally understand why I usually duck out of gatherings.
#29 of 64 Old 02-02-2009, 12:49 PM

Sometimes, when we were dating, we would go to a party and he'd be there laughing and joking with his friends and then he'd turn to tell me something and I'd be slumped over on the table asleep. I am not kidding. And German parties tend to be barbecues and beer tents with loud music. Happened all of the time and it's the reason he doesn't complain anymore when I insist on separate transportation so that I can leave early. My father is the same way. He'll stay up all night working or reading but he'll fall asleep right in the middle of the party at 9pm. It's just soooo exhausting! My mother HATES that.

Before we had kids, when we had a ton of "party" friends, he was famous for falling asleep on the couch, and our other super introverted friend would insist we had all the parties at her house so she could just go to bed when she was done. It always makes me laugh because when he's burnt out (he deals with people all day long at work) dh considers sleeping on the couch to be a social activity.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#30 of 64 Old 02-02-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
our other super introverted friend would insist we had all the parties at her house so she could just go to bed when she was done.
I had to laugh at that. I often went to bed early at my own slumber parties.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page