Math curriculum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-26-2009, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 5, working at school in a first grade mathbook, and is complaining that the pace is way too slow.
We bought 1A in the singapore series, but he's not that thrilled with all the coloring and drawing involved. He really wants substance: number lines, addition, subtraction, multiplication.

Does anyone have suggestions for a math workbook he could go through independently with enough instruction that he would only need minimal help from me? Not that I'm lazy, but he likes to get up early and work. He's a funny one. I'm looking for basic math, but not necessarily basic skills driven.

Any help would be appreciated.
#2 of 18 Old 02-26-2009, 09:48 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
We've never used the 1st grade Singapore materials, always having jumped in at the 2A or 2B level. Is it possible that he's just in the wrong level? There's no colouring from 2A onwards.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 18 Old 02-26-2009, 09:59 PM

Singapore has a placement test online. Have you used that?

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#4 of 18 Old 02-27-2009, 02:34 AM

Even the 1B book has less coloring than the 1A book. He could always do the math problems and skip the coloring assignments. They're mostly a form of self-check, but if he never makes any errors, he shouldn't worry about them.
#5 of 18 Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We ditched Singapore and went to Saxon. Mine tested borderline between K and 1, but K--so we're doing K and flying through it. The thing I love about it is that the lessons are SHORT... so if ds isn't really "feeling" the lesson, it's over quick enough. We can sometimes go through 2-3 in a sitting they're so short (at the K level). We couple it with "Hands On Standards" which is more manipulative.

Another thing is that Saxon is scripted. Honestly, I read it to see what they're trying to accomplish and then walk ds through it without reading the script (although I keep it open to refer in case I miss something).

The other thing about Saxon is that it's written such that you visit a topic, move on and then revisit it later (for reinforcement and building). Mine started at 4yo with no attention span so this was huge for us. Of course, today he insisted on skipping to the more advanced pattern block lesson.

Admittedly, I didn't try the higher levels of Singapore--so they might actually work for you.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#6 of 18 Old 02-28-2009, 12:15 AM

We loved Singapore but jumped in at the 3A level. I don't remember much coloring. A few fill in to see the form so you check your answer pages but that was it. If you like the rest of it, just skip the coloring. You might also try a higher level than 1A. My dd did nearly all of the Singapore workbooks solo. If she ever had a question we'd refer to the textbook then.
#7 of 18 Old 03-02-2009, 07:29 PM

My kids like to use the "Comprehensive Workbook of Basic Skills" books they sell in Sam's Club. They are published by a company called "Teacher Created Resources" and they go up to 6th grade. They include a math section in addition to other sections, but AFAI-Remember the 1st grade and up didn't have any coloring in them. They are a cheap, convenient way for my kids to advance in skills on their own and have something to do on sick days (like today... my toddler has been throwing up, so instead of regular Right Start Math, they brought out their 'fun books' today.)

Which reminds me, if you have time to play the games, the Right Start Math Card games are AWESOME and a more fun way to practice and learn than just plain old worksheets. http://www.alabacus.com

HTH!
#8 of 18 Old 03-02-2009, 09:14 PM

We like Singapore too

Another one we have successfully used is Miquon Math . . . very basic/non-fancy books, but DD thinks they're fun. The worksheets are often open-ended, to allow the student to apply what they are learning.

HATED Saxon (sorry ) . . . can't stand the scripting -- kind of a do-it-yourself person . . . Also, DD got SUPER-Bored with the repetition. I understand that some kids really *do* need to review things again . . . and again . . . and again. But not DD. Over-review frustrates her and causes her to lose interest in a topic . . . FAST. Saxon IS solid and a perfectly wonderful curriculum, it is just not for us.
#9 of 18 Old 03-02-2009, 10:48 PM

We watched a Math U See video recently and cobbled together some manipulatives. We like the method. It's fun to do magic. We might end up getting the books; not sure yet. We've been using Singapore off and on, jumping forward as needed, but I can't find a good placement for DS on it.

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#10 of 18 Old 03-03-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervee View Post
We've been using Singapore off and on, jumping forward as needed, but I can't find a good placement for DS on it.
I have read that Singapore matches up nicely with Miquon --- I have ALSO heard lots of praise for Math-U-See . . . I still have not found 'perfect' . . . if you stumble across it, let me know!!! (I have been known to waste $$$ searching for it . . . besides Sing./Miq., I have used Horizon, Saxon, and Beka . . . )
#11 of 18 Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Not sure if it will be "perfect" but we are going to try math mammoth. It seems straightforward and I think my kids will like it. We didn't like saxon, I didn't want to jump into rightstart just to finish it (dd placed on level e) and it was so expensive. I like that since I download the books, that I don't have to buy it again when the next child is ready, I just print out what I want. Also, I will use "Life of Fred" and some of the other suggestions for supplementary stuff.

I will let you know how we like it, but though I would mention it since it isn't mentioned often here.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#12 of 18 Old 03-04-2009, 09:03 PM

Mindware has some really fun ones.
http://www.mindwareonline.com/MWESTO...HomePage.aspx?

Also my 1st grader is working out of this series:
http://www.prufrock.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=797
#13 of 18 Old 03-05-2009, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysgee View Post
Mindware has some really fun ones.
http://www.mindwareonline.com/MWESTO...HomePage.aspx?

Also my 1st grader is working out of this series:
http://www.prufrock.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=797
OH! I like the Math Rules book. Is your child working in it at home or at school?
#14 of 18 Old 03-05-2009, 05:38 PM

Similar to the Math Rules book are ones at Critical Thinking (much fun!):
http://www.criticalthinking.com/

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#15 of 18 Old 03-05-2009, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
not sure if you want to go this way.

but a friend of mine has her children go to kumon. her son looooves it there.

i see they do have kumon in canada.

that is if you have the extra $$$s

also what is the math curriculum your school is using?

our school uses saxon which is terrible. my dd is in grade 1. also the teacher does not finish the whole curriculum for the year. they get set up for doing 160 or 180 lessons but they only get to do 120 lessons or at the most 130 lessons.

i have the same issue with my dd. for now what i do is use the extra worksheets from the curriculum the teacher wont be able to teach.

i dont have any extra $$$s to spare so i have to find free stuff.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#16 of 18 Old 03-05-2009, 08:12 PM

... We use the MathRules book at home. My 6 yo is working out of the 3rd/4th grade book. We use it as enrichment and only if she wants to do it. I have to sit down with her and talk through the problems, but it is so refreshing to see her actually having to think.
#17 of 18 Old 03-06-2009, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
not sure if you want to go this way.

but a friend of mine has her children go to kumon. her son looooves it there.

i see they do have kumon in canada.

that is if you have the extra $$$s

also what is the math curriculum your school is using?

our school uses saxon which is terrible. my dd is in grade 1. also the teacher does not finish the whole curriculum for the year. they get set up for doing 160 or 180 lessons but they only get to do 120 lessons or at the most 130 lessons.

i have the same issue with my dd. for now what i do is use the extra worksheets from the curriculum the teacher wont be able to teach.

i dont have any extra $$$s to spare so i have to find free stuff.
My son's school uses JUMPmath. I think it is Canada-based. He loves it, and wants to keep going, but has to wait for the class. He as asked to buy the books for home, so he can work on it when he wants to, so I think we will be doing that in June. I'm hesitant to do it now, as he has already asked to be given extra work when he gets done before his class. He's in K, but with the first graders for math.

And the pace is slowww. The first level of the book comes in two parts, but I'll be really surprised if they finish even the first part before school is out.

I sent an email to Kumon. It looks like something he would love, and I hadn't thought of it. I'm curious about the price, as we aren't particularly spendy either.
#18 of 18 Old 03-06-2009, 10:19 AM

We are using Math Mammoth. It is pretty straightforward and DS usually can work through the problems on his own at this point. I read the instructions with him and then he works independently. I like it. He seems to have learned alot. DS, on the other hand, has recently told me he hates school and hates math and hates reading and hates everything. So, does he really or is he just getting spring fever to get out of the house... BTW, we are working on Level 1A and 1B. He has told me he doesn't like all the repitition, but that is how he has learned his math facts. It also incorporates games, which he likes. He says, generally, it is not exciting enough.

I had purchased Right Start Level B and we have just never been able to get started with it. It seems like it is way below his level, but it skips around and I am afraid if I skip ahead in the program we will have missed some very important skill. I have pulled it out again to look through it since he is not happy with the current program. I really like the idea behind it, but I hate all those parts and not being able to just sit down and do math. I don't mind spending as much time as necessary on the lesson, I just can't/don't want to spend so much time actually gathering stuff before the lesson.

I have been looking into Singapore and possibly adding in Miquon as well, but I'm not sure at this point what we will do.

HTH,
Amanda

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page