Learning a Foreign Language - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-25-2009, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD1 (5yo) is very very very interested in foreign languages. She take a little French class in preschool which she adores, but says it's moving too slow for her and that she's not learning enough to satisfy her curiosity.

Sooooo...does anyone have a preferably-free website they use to teach children foreign languages? The Rosetta Stone software is available in our library, but is always checked out and the waiting list is a mile long. Our budget is really tight and DD is interested in multiple languages, so buying a program in each is not really doable for us. She is particularly interested in French, Chinese, ASL (not a foreign language, I know), and perhaps Spanish.

Any ideas?

ETA: I'd also be interested in a website that offers multiple languages for one membership fee. We could probably swing that.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#2 of 13 Old 03-25-2009, 04:28 PM

Our public library used to have an online subscription to Rosetta Stone, but they switched to TellMeMore. I like RS better, but TMM has some advantages (mainly more options for different learning styles). Their website is not very explanatory, but here it is: http://www.tellmemore.com/ Maybe you can explore a trial version.

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#3 of 13 Old 03-25-2009, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What timing.

Just last night my DS asked if we could get Rosetta Stone. I asked him why and he said he wanted to learn another language. When I asked which one he said he wanted to learn more Mandrin (he knows hello, goodby, pretty girl, thank you). I assumed Rossetta Stone wouldn't be the best tool for a 5 year old and today asked some of my Chinese friends about possible tutors. Turns out one of my coworkers has been doing this locally and might do it for me for free at least until we figure out how serious and interested he really is.

So would Rosetta Stone be appropriate for a 5 (almost 6) year old? Or would the tutor be better? Or both?

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#4 of 13 Old 03-25-2009, 05:00 PM

Is there a weekend Chinese school in your area?

My daughter has attended such schools in Olympia, WA and Monterey, CA. She has loved it. Even though it is mainly for heritage speakers, my daughter has been in class with adopted Chinese girls, non-Chinese kids, and Chinese kids who aren't exposed to Chinese at home.
#5 of 13 Old 03-25-2009, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post
What timing.

Just last night my DS asked if we could get Rosetta Stone. I asked him why and he said he wanted to learn another language. When I asked which one he said he wanted to learn more Mandrin (he knows hello, goodby, pretty girl, thank you). I assumed Rossetta Stone wouldn't be the best tool for a 5 year old and today asked some of my Chinese friends about possible tutors. Turns out one of my coworkers has been doing this locally and might do it for me for free at least until we figure out how serious and interested he really is.

So would Rosetta Stone be appropriate for a 5 (almost 6) year old? Or would the tutor be better? Or both?
I went ahead and put a hold on some Rosetta Stone software at the library. I'm #129 for French and #42 for Mandarin. It's listed as for 6 and up at our library, so hopefully it'll work for us.

I haven't had any luck finding language classes in our area, only ones for learning English. I'll have to dig deeper...

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#6 of 13 Old 03-25-2009, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edster View Post
Is there a weekend Chinese school in your area?

My daughter has attended such schools in Olympia, WA and Monterey, CA. She has loved it. Even though it is mainly for heritage speakers, my daughter has been in class with adopted Chinese girls, non-Chinese kids, and Chinese kids who aren't exposed to Chinese at home.
I found one here! : Oh, so awesome! It's by three-month semesters, and is pretty affordable, two hours of instruction per week! I can't wait to tell DD!

#7 of 13 Old 03-25-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post
I went ahead and put a hold on some Rosetta Stone software at the library. I'm #129 for French and #42 for Mandarin. It's listed as for 6 and up at our library, so hopefully it'll work for us.

I haven't had any luck finding language classes in our area, only ones for learning English. I'll have to dig deeper...
Our town has a local "Chinese Group". We also have a "multi-cultural" group that the Chinease Group is a subgroup of. I found a possible tutor through them. You might also try looking for a group for parents who have adopted from China. I was told by my friend that alot of the americans who attend their "Chinease" events have children adopted from China. This co-worker who told me about the tutor for us says that all the kids she has worked with in the past were adopted by americans from China and there parents are mainly interested in keeping the culture and in there kids hearing the language. So someone in that sort of group might know of a tutor.

#8 of 13 Old 03-25-2009, 05:52 PM

Yeah. I just talked to the possible tutor. She is hoping to get a class together this summer. Her mom (who teaches Chinease in China) will be visiting this summer so between her mother and her they hope to put together a class.

She at first asked what I wanted out of it. When I explained that it was my son who wanted it and I just was interested in if he would really enjoy it or not she got really excited. She was thrilled that it was his idea.

#9 of 13 Old 03-25-2009, 08:42 PM

We got a private tutor for our two 5 yo, they are learning mandarin now. And we have gotten spanish courses on audiobooks for them because they wanted to learn that too, me and my dear also hears that with them and learn it. (Enough that they can speak about us in mandarin w/o us understanding.)
I'm a tiny bit worried about how many languages they can handle w/o mixing, they are already fluent in english, french and norwegian because we are bilingual in those 3 languages.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#10 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 03:27 AM

Many DVDs let you play them in french, so just look through whatever movies you have. DS sometimes likes to watch Kiki's Delivery Service in japanese.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#11 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post
I found one here! : Oh, so awesome! It's by three-month semesters, and is pretty affordable, two hours of instruction per week! I can't wait to tell DD!

Yay - I'm so happy for you! I'm looking forward to our next move so that DD can be back in Chinese school. The bigger schools even have other cultural classes, and adult classes. Hopefully we'll end up by one of those!
#12 of 13 Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So glad you found a Mandarin class! My DS (turned 7 last week) is in his second semester at a Chinese school near our home. He goes for 2 hours every Saturday, which is taxing a bit, but he adores it. In fact, his birthday party theme was China, complete with a language lesson for all of the kids! People at the school and elsewhere ask why he's taking Mandarin, and are surprised to find out it was his interest and desire to do so.

I've wondered if Rosetta Stone would also be helpful, but haven't looked into it yet.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#13 of 13 Old 03-28-2009, 12:18 PM

DS will be starting a chinese class on saturday in September. I'm afterschooling some mandarin chinese at home already but I'd love for him to meet other chinese speakers too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page