We're coming out. Maybe. - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2009, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post
... I will certainly never tell my DD that I am proud of her for being gifted or, for that matter, for learning something quickly. I also have issues with praise for hard work, which I have mentioned elsewhere on this board. I think the real problem is when kids learn to do things for praise (whatever form that takes). JMHO. Which is why I make sure that DD knows that I love and adore and respect and admire her totally regardless of her decisions and accomplishments.
This is really a parenting style question.
"I am proud of you for being smart"
-vs-
"I am proud of you for doing a good job"
-vs-
"We love you unconditionally because you are you."

I am in favor of #2 and #3.

My overall point is, don't let your concern about what other people think get in the way of enjoying being a parent to your daughter. :::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

I have an update:

I told a friend, who has a son DD's age. I actually didn't mean to, but I was telling a story about something unrelated, and halfway through it I realized that it wouldn't really make sense unless I included a conversation I had with DH about DD being gifted. So I just did it. It felt great, and a few minutes later my friend disclosed that she had been in a gifted program in school and believed her son to be gifted as well. We also talked a bit about gifted programs in our state. So, all in all, a very positive experience. And I certainly didn't have to strain to make it come up in conversation.

I guess I'm one for one.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post
I have an update:

I told a friend, who has a son DD's age. I actually didn't mean to, but I was telling a story about something unrelated, and halfway through it I realized that it wouldn't really make sense unless I included a conversation I had with DH about DD being gifted. So I just did it. It felt great, and a few minutes later my friend disclosed that she had been in a gifted program in school and believed her son to be gifted as well. We also talked a bit about gifted programs in our state. So, all in all, a very positive experience. And I certainly didn't have to strain to make it come up in conversation.

I guess I'm one for one.

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5

User Tag List