Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 05-22-2012, 02:51 PM
A&A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerle View Post

I have been trying to find out more about this because I suspect it in my child (and remember when I was little my mom would always say "I know, you're hungry!" when I got unusually irritating or difficult.

I could find very little specific to gifted kids, mostly the info seems to be about diabetic adults. ..

I would love to hear from parents who are dealing with this. What are your experiences and tips? What meal schedule have you found out works for you, what kind of snacks would you recommend to keep around (avoiding peanut butter because I hate even the smell of it...).

Is there anything specific to milk I should be aware of? My husband suspects that the bottle of warm milk he gets every night at bedtime (
I know! before brushing his teeth!) revs him up physically. When we put him to sleep he starts tossing and turning and sweating, with a rapid heartbeat. I was thinking it is a sensory thing and a separation anxiety thing from when I had to leave in the morning before he woke up, and the sweating is from cuddling up close to help him calm down, but would love to hear thoughts from anyone who has had similar experiences.

Thank you!

Milk has protein in it, and yeah, it's not going to help him sleep. Your dh is right. A carb-loaded snack would be best for helping him sleep.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#32 of 35 Old 06-11-2012, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my oldest son is HG+ (he's the only kid who has been tested) and is def. hypoglycemic. I was just diagnosed as well, as an adult.

he has to eat small snacks frequently and can behave *strangely* if he doesn't eat or eats too much sugar and then crashes. intense physical exercise can make it worse.

He is old enough to go on camping trips and over night camps where I can't follow him around making sure he eats. LOL

So having him learn to manage it and making sure he is aware of himself and the signs that he needs to eat is very important. He gets excited and doesn't "feel hungry" so it has been a learning experience for both of us...

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

#33 of 35 Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 AM

Our son at 12 was having symptoms, headaches, cranky, and dizziness after athletic events, he plays for mulitple teams, sports and travels. The childrens hospital in Pittsburgh, Endo department, tested his sugar, during the 3 hr sugar test they came out in waiting room, questioning if he even drank that awful drink? He did, his sugar levels which started at 56 never rose past 76 thru-out 3 hr test! He craved simple sugars and chocolate and very thin...we are now on a very strict diet due to the fact they figured out he didn't have enough "stores." We needed to load more of the right things in his intake prior to activity and after restore it.

High protein and carbs prior to activity and fruit or protein fruit during activity after an hr (like if he had a 2 hr practice) and the important product was the Chocolate milk - Non fructose corn syrup on natural or organic- Tru Moo perfect one we use after activity - it restores alot after activity.  He has gained 7 lbs but still thin but we give high protein 3 hrs prior and high carb 2 hrs to 1 hr and always have protein bars or drinks around in his coaches bag. Good Luck, I never connected the gifted thing, but was told "high maintenance" kids or collic babies have grown to have this..My son was very collic and I have to say he is in the gifted program for school.

#34 of 35 Old 12-30-2012, 08:15 PM

Interesting to read this thread. I was diagnosed with RH as a teen. I struggle with my weight. I feel best when I eat low carb, high protein, but I am extremely picky and all I ever *want* to eat is carb heavy foods like bread and pasta. I'm also constantly on the go so I find it hard to carry lc snacks with me.

Doctors always look at me funny when I tell them I have hypoglycemia, and mention my weight issue. Is there a difference between RH and regular hypoglycemia?

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#35 of 35 Old 01-05-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Wow, this ancient thread of mine gets resurrected again and again...apparently this is a hot topic for a number of families.

I figured I might as well write a little update: while we're not slaves to the clock anymore, this issue has never really gone away.

In some ways things have gotten easier (mealtimes shifting an hour back or forth do not make that much difference anymore, so more flexibility during the day, and he's eating a good variety of foods) but also harder, as DS1 is now more responsible for his own food intake.

In preschool, the teachers would make sure that everyone had their snack by 11 am, in 1st grade, not so much. And on his own, DS1 is just way too distracted to get a meal inside himself without prompting.

So far, school's half days till 12.30, sometimes afternoon care till 13.15, but he has lunch at home everyday as i am currently on maternity leave and DH's schedule (teacher in a neighbouring school and on 70%)  works out so he can give him a lift. It will make enrolling him in afternoon care, as planned at some point, difficult though, unless i can get someone to monitor his food intake - it's in their best interest!

Feeling more relaxed about this at home these days, I often forget about the snack in the afternoon, so if I haven't thought of getting him to eat something by 5 pm, he'll go berserk about trivial frustrations. (He is still unable to realize he is hungry and ask for food - DD, almost 4 years younger, will say "I need something to eat!", DS1 will just explode). I have explained the problem to him, the scientific basis and how it runs in the family and that the only means for him to be able to calm down is to eat regular meals, but he is still unable to monitor his intake or even to just eat once I tell him that he has to in order to calm down. He'll just scream and refuse and I have to yell at him even louder to make him. It's exhausting, but I guess it's my fault - he does not feel hunger himself anymore than I can feel it for him, but is just not old enough to monitor his own meal schedule.

DH has been yelling bloody murder at finding his uneaten snack in his schoolbag again and again, and I have asked his teacher to keep an eye on it. Not that I am very sanguine about this with 24 kids in the classroom, but at least if he ever has an explosion in school (so far, he controls himself very well) I can shift some of the blame!

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page