May-June What is your child doing now? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 102 Old 06-10-2009, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have I mentioned dd's imaginary friends who live in Antartica? Well they are currently en route to visit her and I keep getting updates about the weather (yesterday it was minus zero dregrees) and travel micro-details. So funny. She checked with me to find out if there were anything dangerous in Argentina.

My little one is in the pun faze. She was pulling her pajama shirt on last night and the tag was in her face and she said "tag!" then lurched for me, touched me and said "you're it!" and cracked up.
#62 of 102 Old 06-10-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expecting-joy View Post
Have I mentioned dd's imaginary friends who live in Antartica? Well they are currently en route to visit her and I keep getting updates about the weather (yesterday it was minus zero dregrees) and travel micro-details. So funny. She checked with me to find out if there were anything dangerous in Argentina.
Oh, man, the world traveling we do in this household. We are a whole family of globe trotters. DD has also gotten very interested in maps that show climate. Who knew an atlas was such an essential item? (Well, I guess DH knew, but I sure didn't expect it.)
#63 of 102 Old 06-10-2009, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
She was pulling her pajama shirt on last night and the tag was in her face and she said "tag!" then lurched for me, touched me and said "you're it!" and cracked up.
#64 of 102 Old 06-14-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well, DS is reading. : After our thread on reading last week, I discovered that my DS was sight reading some familiar words. My interest was peaked so I borrowed "Teach a Child to Read Using Children's Books" from the library and devoured it in one sitting -- great book, BTW. I tried it out this afternoon and... he read. At least a third of the book Snow. You could have knocked me over with a feather. I had no idea. It was a totally asynchronous moment because he spent all day baby-talking and was sucking on his thumb while I read with him. I had to keep pulling it out of his mouth so that I could understand what he was saying. We're having a baby phase right now.

And my DD spends an inordinate amount of time coloring in the lines in her coloring book. And she likes to be read to. : FINALLY! This is actually a bigger deal to me than DS reading because I love to read and I really want to pass that on to the kids.
#65 of 102 Old 06-15-2009, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessaS View Post
Well, DS is reading. : After our thread on reading last week, I discovered that my DS was sight reading some familiar words. My interest was peaked so I borrowed "Teach a Child to Read Using Children's Books" from the library and devoured it in one sitting -- great book, BTW. I tried it out this afternoon and... he read. At least a third of the book Snow. You could have knocked me over with a feather. I had no idea. It was a totally asynchronous moment because he spent all day baby-talking and was sucking on his thumb while I read with him. I had to keep pulling it out of his mouth so that I could understand what he was saying. We're having a baby phase right now.

And my DD spends an inordinate amount of time coloring in the lines in her coloring book. And she likes to be read to. : FINALLY! This is actually a bigger deal to me than DS reading because I love to read and I really want to pass that on to the kids.

That's great!

You might like this book. It's a great, well organized resource:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Your-Child...5037506&sr=8-1

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#66 of 102 Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip! Just requested it from my library.
#67 of 102 Old 06-16-2009, 04:53 PM

Am I crazy, or is it way too early for DD (3) to have taught herself the difference between left and right? I'm afraid she's known it for a while, too. I thought it was just a fluke , but it's increasingly apparent that that's not the case. I don't think I learned this until I was, like, 8. I can remember having to hold out my hands to see which one made the letter "L."

Also, the other day, DD & I were playing with blocks and I decided to see if she would copy something I made. (I know that this is basically what they do in the block design portion of the WPPSI, but we don't intend to test DD for years, and we probably won't be using the WPPSI anyway.) And I pretty much couldn't make a design that she couldn't copy perfectly. (I did finally stump her, but by that point the design was crazy complex and she was totally bored and didn't even try.) I am shocked. I know her verbal & reading skills are off the charts, and I know that she's a bit ahead in math (oh, okay, maybe 2 or 3 years ahead, so I guess that's more than "a bit" ), but I really didn't think her visual/spacial skills were anything to write home about. Yeah, she's a competent puzzler, but not unusually so. Somebody tell me I'm overreacting and most kids can do this sort of thing. My kid just seems so normal so much of the time.
#68 of 102 Old 06-16-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Somebody tell me I'm overreacting and most kids can do this sort of thing.
Umm.... Wrong group to ask. My DS knows his right from his left but he's not ND.

He figured out fractions today. Sort of took me by surprise because I wasn't meaning to teach him. Then I found him practicing with his sliced cheese later (dividing it into halves, quarters, eights) and naming the divisions. : And he's definitely reading now.
#69 of 102 Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Umm.... Wrong group to ask. My DS knows his right from his left but he's not ND.
This would be true . DS (3 yo) also knows left from right. He certainly didn't learn it from me (I occasionally drive down the wrong side of street if there is nothing around to orient me.) He uses it to be a very bossy back seat driver . What is really scary is that he understands that in the car where he faces backwards (he's in the zero percentile weight wise) that his left is my right.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#70 of 102 Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 PM

We've had a few interesting things lately with my nearly 6 year old...

Today we had the weirdest conversation in a taxi on the way home from school.
Her-Mummy, can dogs have conjoined twin puppies?
Me-Uhm, I assume so but I'm not really sure. We can look it up when we get home.
Her-Well, if you had a kid and you had conjoined dogs then they would really laugh when they saw them.
Me-O...K...
Later when I related this to my husband she said "I said they would laugh the first time they saw them but then they'd just be used to them!"

We were at a story time event the other day where the kids were asked to draw pictures. Mine decided to draw a princess cat complete with crown with many tiny jewels, highly detailed face, multi tiered ball gown complete with buttons, lace, ruffles and patterns It was all complete with ballet slippers topped with tiny bows. She then decided to write her name on it only she went from right to left and started with the last letter first.

I also have suspected that my daughter could read to some degree despite never actually being taught (she's in Waldorf). She's a perfectionist and will not show anything in the learning process but she's slipped a few times and pointed out certain words that interested her. Tonight at story time she was looking at the page of the book I was reading (unillustrated) and said, "it sure says 'Zanzibar' a lot on that page!" I asked her to show me where and she pointed out where it was written in several places.
#71 of 102 Old 06-17-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post
Am I crazy, or is it way too early for DD (3) to have taught herself the difference between left and right? I'm afraid she's known it for a while, too. I thought it was just a fluke , but it's increasingly apparent that that's not the case. I don't think I learned this until I was, like, 8. I can remember having to hold out my hands to see which one made the letter "L."
I don't think knowing right from left at 3 is unusual. I can remember talking to lots of young children and saying things like, "That goes on your right foot," or "Give me your left hand," and it's mostly understood. I'm almost certain DD knew that before 2 and I never thought that was strange. I know adults who still have problems knowing right from left, though, and they seem normal. Personally, I have no sense of direction. I only know directions in relation to streets that I know go north/south or whatever. Knowing right from left is probably like having a sense of direction--either you have it or you don't.

DD is improving at chess. She's getting better at defending herself against my attacks. It's getting to the point where I can't quickly beat her in order to end the game. She remembers sequences of moves later and talks about them to DH and grandma and explains why they were good moves. She talks about why she's making certain moves and what would happen if one of us moved a certain piece in a certain way. I think I'm going to buy Rush Hour Jr. We played it in the store the other day and she was pretty good at it.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#72 of 102 Old 06-17-2009, 01:08 AM

DS has entered the world of word play in the last several weeks. He thinks he is hilarious (and I agree he is funny, but just because he's so cute!).

Two examples:

He has started abbreviating words, leaving off the last syllable of long words, to be "cool" somehow. Daycare is now simply "dayk." It's especially popular with names: Kelly is "kel", T.J. is "teege", Nonnie is "non", Benjamin is "benjam," etc. Always said with an emphasis on the silence and a mischevious grin.

He has also started using incorrect words to songs to make jokes. His favorite is the theme song to "Roary the Racing Car," a PBS Sprout show he has watched on On Demand less than 5 times. He sings out: "Roary, the racing train!" followed by peals of laughter. Then it's "roary the racing bike" or dump truck or helicopter. And it grows progressively sillier--"car" turns into cat or grass or leg or tree or school. He thinks this is hysterically funny.

I think it's cute and clever, for a 2.5 yo.

Progressive working mom to one Delightful Son, 1/07
#73 of 102 Old 06-17-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinmarxmom View Post

He has also started using incorrect words to songs to make jokes. His favorite is the theme song to "Roary the Racing Car," a PBS Sprout show he has watched on On Demand less than 5 times. He sings out: "Roary, the racing train!" followed by peals of laughter. Then it's "roary the racing bike" or dump truck or helicopter. And it grows progressively sillier--"car" turns into cat or grass or leg or tree or school. He thinks this is hysterically funny.

I think it's cute and clever, for a 2.5 yo.
My dd used to do that too! She would edit certain songs and add her own silly stuff and think it was so funny! The way she laugh made me laugh!
#74 of 102 Old 06-17-2009, 09:13 AM

I think actually that knowing left from right is considers a 5-6yo skill. Oddly, my DD used to know this better than she does now. :

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#75 of 102 Old 06-17-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
I think actually that knowing left from right is considers a 5-6yo skill. Oddly, my DD used to know this better than she does now. :
Really? a 5-6 yo skill? My dd knows this because when I put her underwear and pants on, I would name each leg while she was putting it through the hole.
#76 of 102 Old 06-17-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
Huh. I couldn't really find anything about it when I googled besides how to teach it, but most of the lessons did seem to be designed for older kids. The thing that I think is crazy about it is not that she knows it but that I never taught it to her. I mean, I don't think I even mentioned left & right to her until she was 2 or so and I was putting on her shoes, and she already seemed to know the difference. Since then I think I have pretty much only mentioned it while driving, and it seems to me to be sort of a leap from right & left turns and right & left hands. (She dresses herself exclusively, so I don't have much opportunity for that kind of thing.) She must have learned it from Dr. Seuss.

I think it is totally hilarious that I was apparently delayed in learning left from right, and didn't even know it until now. I also never learned to tie shoes properly (and still can't do it to this day).
#77 of 102 Old 06-17-2009, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DS 6 - He's learning to play chess and is getting into "Magic the gathering" with his dad. He's into playing a state matching game I found on this board and a typing game on the computer.

He did evaluations this month. He scored in the 99% on both reading and math. the math surprised me. I already knew he was ahead in reading.

I still find myself shocked at the normal logical things kids do. For example the other day we were talking about transferring to the gifted school. He told me he would really like to talk to a third grader about the second grade class before making up his mind. For some reason reasoning like that blows my mind alot more than his years advanced reading ability.

DD 3 - We are beginning to think we might have a second gifted one. Her problem solving skills are amazing. But who knows and it's not really relevant for several more years yet if she's gifted or not.

She blew us away this month during a discussion with my aunt. My aunt was teasing about DD's mom being her mom. And DD of course told her "no, my momma". So my aunt asked "Well, where's my mom" DD looked at her and calmly said "your mom died". Which is true, but my grandmother died 6 months before I was born. So she's never been a relevant topic of conversation. DS has asked in the past what happened to my parent's parents (his great grandparents). I have explained that they died a long time ago. So I assume she remembered that grandpa's parents are dead and therefore his sisters parents are dead to. But who knows how the logic worked. Maybe she just assumed based on my aunts age (mid 50s) that her mother would no longer be alive.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#78 of 102 Old 06-17-2009, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
What is really scary is that he understands that in the car where he faces backwards (he's in the zero percentile weight wise) that his left is my right.
Okay. That is just cool.

BTW, I say "Okay" a lot (I'm like such a Valley Girl) and now my DD says it all of the time. Drives me crazy. Yesterday I asked her a question and she answered, "Okay," and I said, "Yes! The answer is 'yes', not 'okay'! Okay?" She stared at me for a moment and said, "Okay."
#79 of 102 Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Okay. That is just cool.

BTW, I say "Okay" a lot (I'm like such a Valley Girl) and now my DD says it all of the time. Drives me crazy. Yesterday I asked her a question and she answered, "Okay," and I said, "Yes! The answer is 'yes', not 'okay'! Okay?" She stared at me for a moment and said, "Okay."
DD used to say "okay" for yes too. And just when we finally got her saying "yes" we took a trip to visit my parents and they got her saying "yeah." : It was pretty funny, though, being able to blame them for that (since they were such proper-language people when I was a kid).
#80 of 102 Old 06-17-2009, 11:56 PM

My 3.5 yo daughter has now learned about 25 sight words in about 2 weeks. She's reading the Clifford Phonics Fun Pack ( http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Cli.../9780439403825 ) And I know she's not memorizing the words b/c even without the books if I ask her how to spell, i.e. the, see, can, go, etc... she can do it. So she's definately learning the words.

And this past weekend I was visiting my brother and we decided to play a game of chess. Instead of going to play with the other kids my dd sat down and watched us. She was upset b/c she wanted to play and so I decided to let her move my pieces when I was ready to move them which she enjoyed. And she kept commenting "don't move the king" which was cute. I'm surprised that the game is interesting to her since this one had nothing fancy about it (colors/faces). She had never seen me play chess prior to this but I think when we get home from vacation I will teach her if she is interested. It's quite the coincidence since I had just posted awhile back about how I couldn't wait to teach her to play chess.
#81 of 102 Old 06-18-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expecting-joy View Post

My little one is in the pun faze. She was pulling her pajama shirt on last night and the tag was in her face and she said "tag!" then lurched for me, touched me and said "you're it!" and cracked up.
Here's a fun fact for you about Antartica. It's the only continent on which there are no moths or butterflies. (DD is having fun exploring the encyclopedia we just installed on the computer; that fact was under the butterfly section. She's also been running around telling people that baby octopods cannot swim and just drift around.)

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#82 of 102 Old 06-19-2009, 04:02 PM

Last night, dd goes "Let do some worksheets! We haven't done worksheets in a while!" I get sick of worksheets after a while! LOL!

Last month, I asked her if she could hop on one foot and she said no. About a week later, she goes "mommy, look!" And she hopped on her right foot and on her left foot! I just thought it was cute that she went and practiced then came back to show me! Today, she's hopping all over the place on one foot!
#83 of 102 Old 06-19-2009, 05:37 PM

Last night DD was sorting daddy's roleplaying dice by color. She put a purple in with the blue, but other than that she was doing really well. She even put the white dice with colored numbers together.

Bri: mom to K: and M: at 27 weeks and 33 weeks :
#84 of 102 Old 06-19-2009, 06:24 PM

So today, DD comes running up to me with her empty hand outstretched, saying, "comida, comida, comida." I'm like, "uh...what does that mean?" She says, "food." (Yes, that's right.)

Then later, I discover that she can count to ten in Spanish. Um. I didn't teach her that. I might have counted for her once or twice, weeks ago, but I sure didn't think she was learning it. And when I say that I didn't teach her "comida," I mean that I am pretty certain I never even mentioned it.

She has a Spanish/English picture dictionary, so maybe that's how she learned it. Gosh, but I am feeling overwhelmed. She wants to say everything in Spanish these days, and although I was fluent as a young child I am very, very far from fluent these days. I don't remember half the words she wants me to tell her. When I thought it was just a novelty to her, I didn't mind so much...but now that I realize she is actually learning it...oh, bother, I am teaching her some crazy broken Spanish. It's times like these I wish my (still-fluent) sister lived nearby.

Does anyone know of any free preschool-appropriate Spanish resources?
#85 of 102 Old 06-20-2009, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

My DD is driving me nuts with books. For over 2 years I've been trying to get her interested in being read to to no avail. And now she chases me around the house with them crying, "Book! Book!" She just plopped one right in my cereal bowl. She finds it annoying that I'm spending time doing something other than reading to her. And if she catches me reading she quietly removes my book, places a bookmark, sets it aside, and plops hers into my lap.
#86 of 102 Old 06-20-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
Here's a fun fact for you about Antartica. It's the only continent on which there are no moths or butterflies. (DD is having fun exploring the encyclopedia we just installed on the computer; that fact was under the butterfly section. She's also been running around telling people that baby octopods cannot swim and just drift around.)
Cool! Which encyclopedia did you install?
#87 of 102 Old 06-20-2009, 07:47 PM

My kids knew left and right really early, definitely before 18 months, but we did use left and right with them a lot, especially when helping them get dressed. I know I didn't learn it until it was taught in school in first grade. I don't think my sister ever learned it. She still has to do the "L" thing with her hand. I honestly think some of these skills are easier when modeled/taught early. We didn't have left vs. right lessons or anything. It was (and is) just part of everyday life.

"Which piece of muffin do you want?"

"I'd like the one on the left." KWIM?
#88 of 102 Old 06-21-2009, 03:05 PM

DD2 has known left and right for months...I think since 2y 3m. She asked me one day, "Which is my left hand? Which is my right hand?" I told her, and she's had it down pat ever since. (Yes, she can identify lefts and right for other body parts...even other people's body parts.) DD1 on the other hand, has to think very hard and still gets them mixed up sometimes. I don't know what's "normal."

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#89 of 102 Old 06-23-2009, 10:36 AM

DD "showed" grandma yesterday. I got her new math book in the mail and showed my mom, so my mom randomly went to pages and asked dd to do the page. They came to a page that first asked "which row has more?" and dd correctly pointed to the row of people that had more. Then grandma read the directions "tell me why you decided your answer" and she mumbled "yeah right" and closed the book. Didn't even ask dd why she came to her answer. So in the van on the way to the store, I asked dd if she remembered the page in the math book that they were doing and which row she picked....she said yes. So I asked her why she picked that row and she said because the one row had 10 and the other row had 5! So I told grandma this and grandma was like "wow!" She showed grandma!! And I stuck my tongue out at grandma for her "yeah right"! LOL!!!
#90 of 102 Old 06-23-2009, 06:43 PM

My 3.5 yr. old has known right and left for a while, but my 6 yr. old (who isn't "gifted") still has trouble with it.
Said 3 yr. old just fell asleep sitting up at the table halfway through a new puzzle.
We just got the levels 3 and 4 Bob sets and he likes reading them, but doesn't seem to be making any new leaps in reading but he is playing with math-y stuff more. I would have said his math skills were average for a 3 yr. old a few months ago.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page