May-June What is your child doing now? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 102 Old 06-26-2009, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD just figured out to read silently (up to now she's read everything aloud). She was reading silently on the couch with a look of extreme concentration on her face just now (she is also reading a book that is a little hard for her), and I had to say her name about 5 times before she looked up. Her little face was just so intense. I'm sure it'll get annoying, but today I just found it cute. I WAS that kid!

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 102 Old 06-27-2009, 01:01 AM
Banned

loraxc, that IS cute and sweet and everything bookworm mamas love

DD learned right and left pretty early, too, sometime between 1 and 2yo. I'm glad because it gives me hope she'll have better visual-spatial skills than I.

I still confuse left and right sometimes and use the L hand trick. Today I had to turn around twice when I went the wrong way going to and back from a new place, especially as I tried to reverse the directions I had... meanwhile, DD is repeating the conversational points we had on the way over, but in reverse order. Example: we pass the big church again, and she starts talking about how I asked if she was tired, four hours previously on the way over.

Also giving me hope is how she asked a few times about this one thing, and now explains it to me over and over-- how we can't see certain parts of people or things in book illustrations, because the person is facing away, or their right foot is behind their skirt, or what have you. She's always telling me, "Shes face is toward the LAKE. Shes face is not towards US. Shes BACK is towards us." (She says "shes" for "her" right now. That and irregular verbs are the only cute typically developing toddler language quirks I'm getting to enjoy.)

She's back on a huge book binge, asking for us to read to her all day long, "reading" to herself a lot, too... and puzzles. She can do this big 36 piece one pretty much by herself, and any of our other 36 piece ones if we help her make the border. And of course we have to do puzzles whenever we aren't reading. Or dancing. Or nursing.

She has read a few words suddenly, and is pretty excited about the idea of reading still. She's sounding out a lot of words, but mostly asking us to help her all the time with that. Thank goodness for the Boggle Jr. game someone gave us, because she loves "spelling" now, and that seems to sate her.

If there's no book, she wants stories and sits and listens to me just make stories up, and then she says, "Don't forget about the fairy girl!" to remind me of some other story I told the other day, which she wants again. And then stories about all her toys.

And just crazy imaginative stuff like taking bites of her rice cracker and declaring that she made a jellyfish (picture a round top and smaller flared bottom). And then made her finger-baby bounce on it like the blue fish in the submarine ride at Disneyland. Oh yeah, and constantly pretending to be at Disneyland.

DH and I were watching her play the other day, and she was working some toys somehow, and reciting this Neil Gaiman poem from his new book, which we've read several times, all about praying that this girl have a wonderful, adventurous life. And we about died loving the whole thing!
#93 of 102 Old 06-27-2009, 01:31 AM

Alex is learning how to read by doing the Teach Your Child to Read book. We do it on most days and finally we're getting to a point that's getting more challenging. Alex is really into the idea of getting through the big book and then being able to read chapter books. It's kind of odd to see a 3 year old consciously and persistently working toward a goal and sort of forcing herself to do the boring parts and accepting that some of it is boring. The other day, my mom was watching us doing the phonics stuff and she said, "Oh, you could make a song out of some of those rhyming words." Alex said, "No Grandma. There are no songs in this book. This book has rhyming and reading." My mom said, "But YOU could make up a song." Alex flatly rejected this idea, saying that we needed to get back to our lesson. Sometimes she is really serious but then this same kid will run away from me and hide while we're on walks because that's funny to her. And drive me crazy singing gibberish songs with high pitched dinosaur dialogue.
I'm reading her Farmer Boy, the second Little House book. It was really kind of weird to be reading her these chapters about kids going to school just so they could beat up the teacher. She's very excited about going to school in the Fall and I don't think it would ever occur to her that anyone would try to beat up a teacher. But it was a great story so I kept reading it and she didn't seem bothered by it. She's been asking me to write down stories for her on the computer. The last one was about going to school. She said, "This won't be like Farmer Boy. No one's going to try to beat up the teacher."
She's been writing in negatives in front of numbers in books and asking me to teach her about negative numbers. They had a negative/positive number game at a children's museum--that's the only way she knows about that subject. I've been writing out number lines with negatives and positives and zero in the middle. I tell her that adding goes to the right and subtracting goes to the left and she totally knows how to add and subtract that way now. I write down problems and read them to her and she can draw the bumps on the number line and write down the answer. Before, we did simple math with objects mostly (adding blocks, adding pennies, etc.), but I think she prefers the number line. I think it makes it like a board game. I'm looking forward to introducing graph paper and showing her how to plot out coordinates (when she's older). I always found that sort of math to be fun.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#94 of 102 Old 06-27-2009, 10:58 AM

DS will officially be 2.5 next weekend, but he's blowing me away by having a few sight words already. So far it's just been stop, go, his name and things like that, but I think he's about to make a big leap toward recognizing words. He has a high recognition for logos and words in logos. His first was Obama, which he knew before 1. Now he picks out all of the Chase banks and names the various grocery stores and any other businesses we use whenever we pass them or see ads. (Thank goodness we try to avoid commercial TV and fast food--he doesn't know those!)

Anyway, yesterday we were walking out of the bookstore and DS stops cold and says, "Look, Mommy! Johnny Appleseed! Right there! Johnny Appleseed!" We've had a book about Johnny Appleseed from the library for the last two weeks. But I'm totally confused, because we're in the adult section and I don't see anything that resembles that book. So I ask DS to show me. He points to a John Grisham novel, with a cover that looks nothing like Johnny Appleseed. Still disbelieving, I say, "Show me. Why is that Johnny Appleseed?" DS runs his finger under "John" and says, "Right there! It says Johnny Appleseed, right there!" :amazed:

Progressive working mom to one Delightful Son, 1/07
#95 of 102 Old 06-29-2009, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymichel View Post
I'm looking forward to introducing graph paper and showing her how to plot out coordinates (when she's older). I always found that sort of math to be fun.
You're just as weird as we are.

My DH and DS spent the weekend building things with wood. He had DS measure out the angles and sides. I asked, "Does he even know how to count up to 180?" and DH gave me a look and replied, "I just explained that instead of saying 'seven-teen' you say 'seven-ty'. Counting scales up so nicely, don't you think?" Umm... okay. I never tried teaching him to count past twenty. It's funny but because my DH has absolutely no idea what is "normal" he's more inclined to teach to my DC's level.

My DH thought up a new math game for us all to play. A combination of great/less than and musical chairs. The kids loved it. He thinks up a new game every weekend.
#96 of 102 Old 06-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Vanessa, how do you play the musical chairs math game? We're really into math games these days. Here's another activity we've done:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8&id=635543662
At first I told her to count out 20 goldfish and we came up with different shapes to form out of them--square, triangle, rectangle, circle, etc. And then we gradually added more food. This could be fun for showing that all the sides of a square should have an equal number of goldfish, that you can keep two sides of a square or rectangle and then get rid of the other ones and add a third side to form a triangle, spacing the goldfish out differently so that you have enough to complete a shape, turning the goldfish in different ways to change the size of the shapes, etc.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#97 of 102 Old 06-29-2009, 02:09 PM

Well, I've been thinking I should share here, because it's so cute:

Dd#2 insists on putting her panties and pants on standing up. It's so adorable watching this little thing hop around on one leg trying to stick the other in the hole.

I've decided that the comments about her size are in relation to whether people know how old she is or think she's much older due to her abilities. We can't go anywhere w/o people either saying she's so tall or she's so tiny. I think those who know she's two think she's tall, perhaps moreso because she's slim and diaperfree. At playgrounds people tend to think she's tiny because I think they assume she's at least three.
#98 of 102 Old 06-29-2009, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

The game goes like this:

Place 3 chairs in a row. Between the first and second chair put a sign that says "LessThan". Between the second and third chairs put a sign that says "GreaterThan". Now sit a player in each chair. They each pick from a pile of slips with simple equations on them (4+5 or 16-2). They each have to solve their equation (my DS used Cheerios as counters) and then situate themselves in the appropriate chair according to their answers. In other words, the person with the answer of 9 would sit in the middle chair, the person with the answer of 4 would sit on their left and the other with answer of 12 would sit on the right. Completing the number sentence "4 is less than 9 which is less than 12".
Repeat as often as you can without collapsing into giggles.
#99 of 102 Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Just had to share:

I had checked out some "living history" books from our library to show my DH how Story of the World integrates with whole books and geography. Now, these are books for older children that I was planning on using in a few years.

My DS saw that I had checked out some books about castles and the medieval ages. DK Eyewitness books, mostly. Then he insisted we read through them all (my voice was croaking by the end) and started asking questions and making comments about things he'd read and seen (you can't stop him from narrating). He... actually understood what I'd read him. I was in shock.

I'm constantly underestimating him.
#100 of 102 Old 06-30-2009, 04:19 AM

My kiddo has spent most of this month negotiating with her age She keeps telling me that she's technically 6... to which I respond "well honey, if you want to be technical, then... you are 5, not 6". She argues back... that she was born in 2003 and this is 2009, so technically she is 6. I tell her "not until 10/21/09" to which she responds.... I *know* that... but work with me here... would ya?

Her latest fascination is human anatomy. She's been spending hours on google looking up the cardiovascular system, how nerve endings fire, etc. God bless Google!

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#101 of 102 Old 07-01-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
My kiddo has spent most of this month negotiating with her age She keeps telling me that she's technically 6... to which I respond "well honey, if you want to be technical, then... you are 5, not 6". She argues back... that she was born in 2003 and this is 2009, so technically she is 6. I tell her "not until 10/21/09" to which she responds.... I *know* that... but work with me here... would ya?
Do you know in Korean culture everyone turns a year older on new year's? When people ask how old you are, you say something like "my Korean age is x, but my birth age is y." Perhaps your daughter can tell people her "Korean" age too

This summer, dd biggest accomplishment is that she is getting more physically self assure (she has always been a super cautious child). She has been taking swim lessons, which she loves. And, it has also helped her get more confidence on the playground and just physically rough housing.

She came up with a "to do" list this summer: learn Spanish, make a movie, learn how to play music. We have a neighbor girl who is willing to come over as a 'mother's helper' and read & speak to dd in Spanish a few days a week; we got a library book about how to write books & stories (explains in simple terms plot, setting, etc.). Dd decided to make a movie about the lizard that lives in our bushes; the only one that has me stumped is music. Dd is 2 3/4 so is too young to learn to play an instrument. I'm not musical, so I don't have a lot of ideas on how to introduce her to music (except expose her to music and bang on play instruments - which is why she wants to learn to actually play musical notes).
#102 of 102 Old 07-01-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaoma View Post
Dd is 2 3/4 so is too young to learn to play an instrument. I'm not musical, so I don't have a lot of ideas on how to introduce her to music (except expose her to music and bang on play instruments - which is why she wants to learn to actually play musical notes).
Have you considered Music Together classes? DS has been takingg them for a while and loves them. Summer session just started.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page