typical age for writing sentences - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-16-2009, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know what the typical age is when children start writing sentences? I was wondering because Yusuf does this and he also types them on the computer. This morning he got up with my husband and I was sleeping with the other lo. When dh was leaving I found Yusuf at the computer typing. It was a simple sentence: Yusuf is a big boy with spaces and all. He usually writes sentences on his doodleboard. I don't really want him to type them out as I'd like him to improve his handwriting first. Is that what you all would recommend?

What are you doing int his regard and what's the normal age that typical children do this?

Mama to 3 boys ( 6, 4, 2 ) and one baby girl!  

#2 of 12 Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 PM

My DD has been able to write for over a year, but just doesn't have much interest in it. I'm not the least bit concerned about it, and don't do anything to encourage/discourage writing. Well, I did get her her own email address in case she wanted a place to write, but the novelty wore off very quickly and I think it's been weeks or more since she's even checked it.

I will say that what I've read indicates that you're better off letting him type if he wants to. He may be gifted, but you can't expect him to have fine motor skills commensurate with his intellectual abilities and desires. So I'd definitely let him write however he likes. Then if you feel like you need to work on his fine motor skills (which, let's face it, you don't), you can do that separately.

To answer your other question, I think kids typically begin writing shortly before they learn to read--so I'd say 4 or 5 would probably be within the normal range.
#3 of 12 Old 09-17-2009, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much.

I bet your daughter is just amazing.

He has pretty good control. He just writes big lol. He takes up the whole doodleboard making one sentence. I guess his first real sentence was 2 or 3 months ago, but he's been labeling his artwork since early 3 y/o range.

My husband was concerned that his handwriting won't improve if he's typing it all out. You really don't think that's an issue? He was sort of upset that I thought it was really neat.

Yusuf first started typing everything in the google search engine, which was my homepage. Now I can't do that anymore because he'll pull up all sorts of stuff.

#4 of 12 Old 09-17-2009, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aishamama View Post
Thanks so much.

He has pretty good control. He just writes big lol. He takes up the whole doodleboard making one sentence. I guess his first real sentence was 2 or 3 months ago, but he's been labeling his artwork since early 3 y/o range.

My husband was concerned that his handwriting won't improve if he's typing it all out. You really don't think that's an issue? He was sort of upset that I thought it was really neat.

Yusuf first started typing everything in the google search engine, which was my homepage. Now I can't do that anymore because he'll pull up all sorts of stuff.
Wasn't it Yusuf who drew that neat cat on his doodleboard? IIR this C, then he has amazing fine motor skills for his age. From what I read on this board, handwriting skills lacking behind reading and writing skills as such is a very common thing for gifted kids. Even if you plan on formal schooling, it won't be an issue till Kindergarten, and that's when others are just starting to form letters.
The purpose of writing is, after all, communication - if a keyboard is available that works better than your three-year-old fingers, why not use it? Everything else is calligraphy. Lots of time to work on that later, if it ever turns out to be a real issue.

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#5 of 12 Old 09-17-2009, 03:40 AM

I would say age 6 is typical. That is the age that most children can read well, I would think that writing sentences would soon follow.
#6 of 12 Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 AM

It is an end of year K skill here. (Simple sentences)--ages would be 5-7 in a classroom by the end of the year.

One DD writes phonically "I Lik cats." and "See mi toyz." "I m happe" in fairly large, but neat letters. She does not use puncuation and mixes capital and lower case letters (depending on what is easier to write).

Other DD does simple words "cat" "I" " Cake" "Mom"etc. in even larger letters.

Both assess (per free local developmental screening) ahead in fine motor skills and are the same age as your older DS (05).

I dont think they could type at this point since they rarely use the computer. We do a lot with large white boards- easy to clean and 'more clear' than a Magnadoodle.

We also have letter stamps and they love to stamp out words. That may be a good add-on to practice.

I dont think typing will hinder fine motor development at all. Ability to academically do something may come before fine motor. Physical and mental development are not always on the same curve.

KC
#7 of 12 Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much.

Life is amazing. DD is just herself.

Yusuf has amazing fine motor for his age. His drafting skills are far better than DD's. I would devote absolutely none of my time or energy to being worried about his learning to write.

You might change your homepage to a child-friendly search engine. It is scary what kids can find if you just let them google. I left DD alone on YouTube once (playing & replaying a music video), and I came back five minutes later to find her watching something very inappropriate for a 3-year-old.
#8 of 12 Old 09-17-2009, 01:33 PM

I think around first grade is typical, maybe.

As far as when DS was typing sentences. I know my DH opened an email account for him when he was 3 1/2, and we was already able to type/write sentences then.
I only remember because I was at work, and that little email notification popped up with DS's name on it.
#9 of 12 Old 09-17-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know what the typical age is when children start writing sentences?

I don't really want him to type them out as I'd like him to improve his handwriting first. Is that what you all would recommend?

What are you doing int his regard and what's the normal age that typical children do this?
Where we are this in an end of K skill and K is 5-6 years old here.

My suggestion is do nothing and let him follow his interest. What's the harm in typing really? If it's a comfortable medium for him I'd let him stick with it. In the process he will develop other skills (spelling, spacing, computer literacy, etc.). He's handwriting in other mediums on his own as well so both ways he's working on fine motor skills. It sounds like he has great fine motor skills so I'm not sure what the purpose on handwriting emphasis would get you really.

I had been told that it's difficult to teach a child to write letters a different way when they've already learned one way but this was not the case for either of our girls. Here's our experience with our two DD's:

DD1 started writing simple sentences when she was an older 2, things like "I love mom" and "DD's name loves dad". By three she was writing cards and letters to family; "I miss you dadad. I want you to come home. I love you. I am mad you are not here" etc.. It was her favorite pastime and I rarely actually showed her how to form letters. Most of the time I verbally explained it but she'd form them however she wanted. I was not concerned with handwriting or penmanship at all except to suggest she try to write smaller so as not to use up so much paper. Sometimes I would get even lazier and she would tell me what she wanted to write, I would write it down and she would use that as guide.

In K they taught handwriting; how to 'properly' form letters. She already could write all UC and LC letters but in her own way. She did great and her penmanship was beautiful. She was not hindered at all by not having had handwriting instruction.

DD2 started to write sentences when she was 3. She wasn't as interested as her older sister so didn't spend nearly as much time doing it. We followed the same approach as above and she responded better to verbal instruction on letter formation. It was cute, she would say "B is a line down with two big fat gorgian hippos, D is a line down with one big fat gorgian hippo?". She did not like written direction on how to form letters when her older sister tried to show her 'proper' ways and was never taught handwriting either.

DD2 is in K in a virtual school and part of the curriculum is handwriting. She took to it fabulously and really loves it. Since I am the one teaching it to her (ODD went to an institutionalized and learned it there) I can see more of the process. She has the motor skills and knows the letters already so the focus is only on letter formation. DD's perception is that she is learning a faster/easier way to form the letters. In one day she went through numbers through 14 and loved it. She has since written all of her numbers the 'new' way with no other reinforcement.

If anything I would suggest to work in general on fine motor skills, but it really sounds to me like he is ahead in that area so I wouldn't worry about it at all.
#10 of 12 Old 09-17-2009, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone.

EXOLAX - you touched on something which I think his learning to type will benefit him, the virtual schooling. As a potential homeschooling mom, I was thinking of using a virtual school for the main part of the curriculum. He's excellent on the computer as far as how to use everything, very literate. So I think it'll be helpful if he can type proficiently as well by the time we enroll him in a VS if need be. I am not planning to send them to regular public school and I don't think I can run the whole HS curriculum by myself with 3 little ones for quite a while. But that's another 2 years from now anyway that he'd start K.

clipfish - that must have been such a lovely moment getting your child's email while at work...so cute. I'd save it forever.

no5no5 - I'm definitely changing the homepage. Youtube is just off limits in our house for our kids unless we're navigating. I just never imagined that filtering and all would start so soon.

I haven't taught him how to write letters, like drawing other things he just drew them. I get so upset though because he hides in the bathroom and closets and writes lists and stuff on the walls. Then Ahmed gets the crayons/pens and goes to town. I think every week I'm painting something. Neither would listen about only writing on paper so I have taken all the writing utensils away. Maybe that is why he resorted to the computer. It is odd that I said resorted. lol.

Sometimes my husband doesn't really have any reasoning other than he's old fashioned.

Here is a sentence that he wrote on his doodle board I think a month ago:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...f/S5002934.jpg

I wasn't sure though when children write sentences. I'm not concerned about him being behind in penmanship at this point, but more or less falling behind if we let him type it out on the computer rather than on paper, which at this point can only be his doodleboard. I wish he'd listen about some things

#11 of 12 Old 09-17-2009, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD is 3.5 and will type sentences on the computer if she's in the mood. She doesn't like to write by hand unless I write out letters for her to trace. Her fine motor skills are on track or slightly ahead but nowhere near her reading skills, so I figure it's just a bonus that she's able to use the computer to make up the gap. She is still learning proper letter formation at school and getting some handwriting practice at preschool. I'm sure she'll get plenty of practice at school... if not preschool, then elementary when she gets there.

I have a feeling if our kids fall behind on penmanship due to computers they'll probably be in a pretty good crowd with the rest of their peers anyhow.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#12 of 12 Old 09-19-2009, 11:27 PM

DD, who will be 4 next month, wrote her first sentences independently today: "Alex klims up the tree. William wots to klim the tree." It's been relatively recently that she's been able to write words phonetically and also remembers how a lot of words are spelled.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page