What are they up to now? ~ November Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 108 Old 11-21-2009, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I so needed this thread tonight. I always feel so awkward when people start talking about what their kids are doing...I feel like they must think I'm lying or bragging...I can't tell which. I keep saying my kids aren't "gifted", they are just "exposed". Meaning, they know lots of stuff because we tell them and play with them...or maybe they learn it and want to know because they are gifted? I don't know.

Anyway...thanks for the chance to share with people who will just be happy with whatever I say and not feel judged by it.

DD1 (age 4.5): in the last month has started to read, tell time, mentally multiply and divide, and draws the most detailed pictures. Actually, she's been drawing pictures like that for a long time. Lately she draws things like an airplane flying past a power plant, from the front view. So, you see the wings in front of the building and it's just packed with detail. She draws houses with the people inside sitting at a table eating...and then she colors the wall on top of her careful drawing. Because, you know, when you are walking down the street and look at a house, you see the wall, but we all know what's going on INSIDE the house. She always draws dirt under the grass. The other day she put tomatoes in the dirt. The other stuff she is doing I think is neat, but the details in her pictures blow me away. Oh, she's started writing letters to people, too. I'm not sure how/when she learned all her letters and what sounds they make and how to write them, but she's been writing these long letters to people and wanting me to mail them. Like, "Dear x, I hope you feel better from loosing your tooth. Did it hurt? Where is it? I would like to see it. I want to go to your house and play with you. Love, y"

DS1 (age 2.5) Gave me a wooden letter from the toy pile tonight and told me it was an "a". When I said, "A for..." He said Apple. I prompted him on a few words, and then I said, "A for..." again and he said "Airplane"! He was very pleased with himself. He acts like he can't read at all, but he fills in words for his sister sometimes, and acts VERY proud of himself. He counts to about 10(which doesn't seem very high to me, actually), and tells stories, complete with feelings. He sees pictures in things, and tells jokes ALL the time.

DD2 (8.5 months): is taking about 5 steps at a time, climbs up everything, says cat, dog, giraffe, hi, all done, down, flip, go, ball, jump, out, bath, mama (and more?), and seems to understand how her world is put together. Like, she will wake up from a nap on the floor in the bedroom and will crawl to the door, put her hand in the crack, open it, and come find me. Plays in and out games, tries to put pieces of toys together (like legos, and can do it sometimes), also takes things apart (like markers...and then writes with it!), chases and loves to be chased, hides...

Thanks for listening...

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#62 of 108 Old 11-22-2009, 12:40 AM

my dd will be 4 next month.... she's still into puzzles and is now obsessed with her 150 piece one. she'll do it over and over. interesting part was she was working on a small portion (only about 15% completed) of it and she tells me a piece is missing and points to where she's working and where the missing piece should go. so she was able to glance through 125 some odd pieces and know that that piece was missing. and sure enough it was.

she's also interested in spelling again but still not interested in reading anymore (only being read to). and she's now capable of doing simple math problems in her head.
#63 of 108 Old 11-22-2009, 10:55 PM

DS is always amazing me with his powers of observation. Tonight especially.

We were at a restaurant having dinner and they had the University of Louisville cardinal mascot on the wall. DS loves this mascot and calls him "Louie Cardinal." He frequently comments that the cardinal has a "mad face." Tonight, though, he said, "Louie Cardinal is a silly bird. His teeth are made of a leaf."

Look at it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisville_Cardinals

It's wild to me the connections and visual nuances his brain picks up.

Progressive working mom to one Delightful Son, 1/07
#64 of 108 Old 11-26-2009, 01:36 AM

Fun thread... It is so cool to hear about everyone's kid. My DS (10) won the concerto competition at his youth orchestra (of which he is the very youngest member). DH called me right after his audition and told me he played in a way that would make a grown man weep (it was a slow movement). He also got a perfect score on the first math olympiad contest.
#65 of 108 Old 11-26-2009, 09:52 AM

Since about last week, dd has been doing simple addition and subtraction in her head.
#66 of 108 Old 11-26-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessismama View Post
Fun thread... It is so cool to hear about everyone's kid. My DS (10) won the concerto competition at his youth orchestra (of which he is the very youngest member). DH called me right after his audition and told me he played in a way that would make a grown man weep (it was a slow movement). He also got a perfect score on the first math olympiad contest.
Wow that's cool!

Our exciting news: My Boobah learned to tie her own shoes yesterday! : THRH showed her, she had been watching very carefully for a few days and working at it and yesterday, she finally managed it. She's the first of my kids to learn to tie shoes, and she is SO pleased with herself.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#67 of 108 Old 11-26-2009, 03:53 PM

ds2 (almost 3) has been taking a preschool music class this fall. He was supposed to have a concert this Sunday, but we missed it because we thought I was in labour (no such luck). His teacher had promised they would all sing for Grandma and Grandpa at the concert -- but his grandparents are 4 days drive away.

So we phoned them, and he only wanted to sing " Bananaphone" because that is what his brother is singing at his school Christmas concert. I got him started on "Old Macdonald", and this is what he sang: "Old Macdonald had a farm. E-I-E-I-O And on his farm he had no bananas E-I-E-I-O" He started laughing and refused to sing the rest of the song.
I am also sure he is now comprehending the simple chapter books that ds1 is bringing home from the school library, like Magic Treehouse and Mona the Vampire.

I was also laughing because our teenage babysitter was telling ds1 (5) last week, "You would really like our Socials 9 class, Andrew. We're learning about Mesopotamia and Greece right now."

Ds1 also seems to have "caught up" in K -- he now recognizes his letters and numbers (which we never worked on really, just if he chose number or letter books) and he's now printing his name ( for OT's and patient K teachers) and following the classroom routines without freaking out. I can tell he's settling in because when we went to the library this week he wanted Eyewitness books about space and airplanes again, not just Hardy boys graphic novels, and he's started building "robots" out of pipe cleaners and paper and tape again.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#68 of 108 Old 11-27-2009, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My DS just treated everyone at the Thanksgiving table with the story of how honey is made. "The bees collect nectar from the flowers and then regurgitate it to make honey." My aunt asked me if he knew what that meant, he rolled his eyes and said, "It means honey is bee throw up."

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#69 of 108 Old 11-28-2009, 02:46 AM

Do they really regurgitate it, though? This summer I had some fun with my new camera and the bees in the backyard, and it seemed that they collected the nectar on their back legs (in what looked like earwax clumps). I do totally think that Thanksgiving story is awesome, and I did not research the bees, I'm just saying what I saw this summer doesn't jibe with that.

Tjej
#70 of 108 Old 11-28-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post
Do they really regurgitate it, though? This summer I had some fun with my new camera and the bees in the backyard, and it seemed that they collected the nectar on their back legs (in what looked like earwax clumps). I do totally think that Thanksgiving story is awesome, and I did not research the bees, I'm just saying what I saw this summer doesn't jibe with that.

Tjej
The yellow stuff on their legs is pollen. That's how they pollinate the flowers they visit. The nectar is a clear fluid (looks like water) that they carry inside.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#71 of 108 Old 11-28-2009, 04:05 AM
Banned

Sophie is starting to read, reading all kinds of sight words in new books and sounding out a bunch of words. That and signing the ABCs (something she's been able to do for months, but for some reason has become her go-to way to wiggle or occupy herself) have been her big verbal pushes.

Also: she can jump! This girl is finally getting air instead of just sort of skipping!

And at the end of the holiday parade at Disneyland she wept because it was not Santa at the end but "a guy in a costume." She's been able to distinguish between real and pretend for a good year I guess, but it's especially apparent at DL (she declares when rides or costumed characters or whatever are all just pretend) and the holidays (for some reason the book at storytime last week was the Polar Express and she started exclaiming incredulously about "flying reindeer?!" and shaking her head. I hushed her before she could disabuse the 40 other little kids. Good thing she has her own rich imaginative life.
#72 of 108 Old 11-28-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
And at the end of the holiday parade at Disneyland she wept because it was not Santa at the end but "a guy in a costume."
I will never forget when Bean told me "That's a guy in a costume!" for the first time. We were in The Mall of America and in one of the restaurants, the characters from Peanuts come visit periodically. I had told Bean that Snoopy was a dog, but the next day when he actually saw Snoopy he laughed at me and said, "Don't be silly, mama! That's not a dog, it's a guy in a costume!" Then he got up and ran to hug Snoopy. Knowing it was a guy in a costume apparently didn't make it any less fun for Bean.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#73 of 108 Old 11-29-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
The yellow stuff on their legs is pollen. That's how they pollinate the flowers they visit. The nectar is a clear fluid (looks like water) that they carry inside.
Ah... thank you! Makes perfect sense. Excuse my ignorance.

Tjej
#74 of 108 Old 11-29-2009, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My 27mo just asked my why his teeth are different shapes. ...the things he comes up with...

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#75 of 108 Old 11-30-2009, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was just informed by my DD (3 1/2) that she no longer wants a Barbie from Santa. She tell me that she wants spend the day with Santa as her gift from him.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#76 of 108 Old 11-30-2009, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Love these threads, even if I don't get to read/post on them much!

My 5yo is making huge leaps with reading and it's so awesome to see! He started reading solidly at 4, and has really not had any instruction. He sometimes plays Starfall (but mostly not the phonics parts), and we talk about some phonics rules as they come up, but, it's definitely not my teaching him. The other day, he was in his bed reading, "Are We There Yet?," which has an AR level of 4.1. I figured he was just looking at it, but realized he was reading the words. I had him read some to me and was blown away! To be totally realistic, he may not have read the *whole* book and I don't mean he's absolutely reading at a 4th grade level or anything, but it was very cool to see him working at and *succeeding* with something at that level. He's at that point where he pops up with words on signs while we're driving around - but words much more challenging that I knew he could read. this stage!

We had several people over for Thanksgiving dinner, and they were all taken with my 2yo who was playing with his name letter puzzle. They were so impressed that he'd say the letters after they said them, etc. And I was shaking my head, chuckling, because he has known the full alphabet for a long time! He recognizes all of the letters, and recognizes his name (5 letters) as being his name. My mom thinks he could read before he turns 3, but I don't know about that yet. He is VERY interested in letters, though.

Thanksgiving night, my 5yo was in the kitchen with my MIL, who later reported that he was very interested in the anatomy of the turkey/skeleton/etc. I couldn't figure out how to explain to her that he's interested in EVERYTHING - bones, skeletons, space, planets, geography, chemistry, math, reading, ALL of it. So, of course he wants to see the turkey up close and is disappointed that he can't reach in the cavity and touch the ribs and spine!

They are so much fun!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#77 of 108 Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 AM

We went to Branson/Table Rock Lake over the Thanksgiving holiday. DS2 (age 4) was completely fascinated by the state fish hatchery at Table Rock Lake. After we fed the fish, he asked to sit through a 15 minute presentation on how they breed and raise the fish and what they do with them after they raise them. He was extremely quiet and engaged by it.

He said "the fish farm" was his favorite thing from the trip. It ranked above mini-golf, the arcade, the indoor water park, and Silver Dollar City.
#78 of 108 Old 12-01-2009, 11:09 AM

DS is obsessing over phonics now. It's that leapfrog fridge phonics thing, plus his obsession with Super Why (oh man, does he ever love that show). He came in this morning, hopped on my lap, and said "Want talk about what letters SAY!!" I don't think he actually understands the concept of phonics making words. It's another EXCITING FACT about LETTERS, though.

I got a bit of an odd look in the grocery the other day when he was sitting in the cart yelling "B say BUHHHH!" at the top of his lungs.

He has started using "because" ("peecuz") and "actually" ("acksh-wee") when he talks. So adorable!

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#79 of 108 Old 12-01-2009, 11:42 AM

When DH dropped off Matthew at preschool this morning, he saw a wall covered with artwork the children had done. The theme was "family." Almost all the papers had cute little stick figures, faces, smiles... except for our kid's. He had written, "MATTHEW MOMMY DADDY" all over the paper.

Representational art? Bah. Why bother when one can write exciting letters instead? (loraxc, I can identify with you!)

Mommy to Matthew, 11/06
#80 of 108 Old 12-01-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
He has started using "because" ("peecuz") and "actually" ("acksh-wee") when he talks. So adorable!
This made me smile. I remember a whole faze where "actually" made it's way into just about every conversion from my child. "Well, actually......" It was so cute hearing that adult statement from this little toddler mouth.

#81 of 108 Old 12-01-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post
This made me smile. I remember a whole faze where "actually" made it's way into just about every conversion from my child. "Well, actually......" It was so cute hearing that adult statement from this little toddler mouth.
Me too. "I want milk, actually."
#82 of 108 Old 12-01-2009, 12:43 PM

So DS has been busy working my parenting lately Still this year(it was the same last year) he refuses to see or believe in Santa (not that I have a problem with that, but the rest of the world seems to) Like a previous poster's child, he says it is a man in costume.
Now yesterday he asks "Are you pregnant yet?" I reply "No not yet" He says "So how does that work? Does Daddy just kiss you a lot? Because he kisses you all of the time and I figured you would be pregnant by now?!"
Ah yes....and what exactly to say to that. I just told him that we are still trying and he can be the first to know!

We attended the Macy's parade and DS's favorite part was the Earth balloon that he could point out NZ on(that's where we are going next weekend for a month long vacation) I think it's so different that he shows no major excitement over cartoon characters or such. He mainly likes real life things. He loved the Broadway shows, but can't/won't sit through an hour long cartoon...funny

I am hoping that we move somewhere else so we can check into schools before next school year. Homeschooling is fine with me but he really wants that social aspect...though only with kids twice his age? Is that the norm?
I would love to find a good Montessori school and DH said if we are staying here for next year we can just move further towards Syracuse so we both have equal commutes for work/school! That will be really awesome for us all I think! I would love to teach there as well but with military it is so hard to get somewhere and stay there

Hope everyone is doing well and has lots of fun plans for the holidays!!

~About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all. ~
#83 of 108 Old 12-01-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post
Ditto. "Actually" is old news now, but still cute. We've moved on to the cuteness of "delicious," "delightful," "beautiful," "fabulous," and "wonderful."

Progressive working mom to one Delightful Son, 1/07
#84 of 108 Old 12-01-2009, 10:54 PM

DS (25 mo) was just moving beads on DDs abacus and counting. Very cute!

He can now count to 4, so it's "one, two, free, foh... ummmmmmmm.... lot!" and on to the next row "one, two, free, foh..." He's also learning words by leaps and bounds, and is newly into puzzles at last.

DD (5 1/2) is very into art, as usual, but now it's going to the museum and finding perspective examples, drawing in perspective, horizon lines, vanishing point, what abstract means, why cubists drew that way, etc. Artist DH is She's also reading pretty clearly, but is resistant to doing it.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#85 of 108 Old 12-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I will never forget when Bean told me "That's a guy in a costume!" for the first time. We were in The Mall of America and in one of the restaurants, the characters from Peanuts come visit periodically. I had told Bean that Snoopy was a dog, but the next day when he actually saw Snoopy he laughed at me and said, "Don't be silly, mama! That's not a dog, it's a guy in a costume!" Then he got up and ran to hug Snoopy. Knowing it was a guy in a costume apparently didn't make it any less fun for Bean.
She's been going to DL since last Feb and she's always told us how the characters are just in costume. But she too loves to see them and hug them! Especially "the cowgirl." But I guess I was hoping Santa would somehow slip past her, ha!
#86 of 108 Old 12-02-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
She's been going to DL since last Feb and she's always told us how the characters are just in costume. But she too loves to see them and hug them! Especially "the cowgirl." But I guess I was hoping Santa would somehow slip past her, ha!
My DD is quite clear that the costumed characters are costumed people, but they still scare her. Last year, and over the summer, she kept asking "Is Santa really real?" so I thought we were on our last year of it. Now suddenly this year, she's into the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and Santa and thinks "they're magic, so they're not like real real like people." I *think* this means she now believes that they exist.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#87 of 108 Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 AM

DS is going through this new phase where he makes up words. It's kind of cute and annoying at the same time. Especially since he ask me what the words mean.

DS "mom what does (I can't even begin to imagine how to spell it) mean?"
Me "huh?"
DS "what does (I can't even begin to imagine how to spell it) mean?
Me "I don't know honey, what do you think it means?"
DS "It means a helicopter-car."
Me "OK"

(We were playing legos and I had built a helicopter with wheels.)

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#88 of 108 Old 12-02-2009, 01:05 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinmarxmom View Post
Ditto. "Actually" is old news now, but still cute. We've moved on to the cuteness of "delicious," "delightful," "beautiful," "fabulous," and "wonderful."
And we've moved beyond these and are these days treated to delightful one-liners like this one by my 6yo, upon picking up a second bag of groceries to help carry to the car ...

"Tragically, I'm feeling over-encumbered."

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#89 of 108 Old 12-02-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
And we've moved beyond these and are these days treated to delightful one-liners like this one by my 6yo, upon picking up a second bag of groceries to help carry to the car ...

"Tragically, I'm feeling over-encumbered."

Miranda

#90 of 108 Old 12-02-2009, 02:19 AM

Today I brought out my recorder to distract DD (10 months) and she grabbed it from it and started blowing in it and actually made a few sounds! It probably doesn't have anything to do with giftedness but I sure thought it was cool. She's been doing the same on a little harmonica that she has too so I suppose we should be prepared for some noise.

Oh, and the other day I caught her balancing on one foot and I swear she's trying to do a somersault but I sure hope that's my imagination! Today was also the first day she was diaper free and we had no accidents!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page