What are they up to now? ~ November Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 108 Old 12-02-2009, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Actually was a big hit here too, when Ds was two, but also relatively and naturally. Had the daycare teachers in stitches.

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#92 of 108 Old 12-02-2009, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I almost think "use of the word 'actually' before age 2" should be on the list of "indicators that your child may be gifted."

My older DD did it too. We also had a big "apparently" phase. Apparently, I say that a lot.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#93 of 108 Old 12-02-2009, 11:24 AM

We did "actually" and now "probably" is currently being used around here.
#94 of 108 Old 12-02-2009, 02:17 PM

"Apparently" was our early/noticable/big one with DD, no words like that from DS yet, although "valentines" impressed me.

Tjej
#95 of 108 Old 12-03-2009, 12:37 PM

This thread showing up in my inbox this morning made my day! DD started with "probably" before 2yo... lately (at nearly 2.5), the adverb of the day is "really." She's way into adjectives lately, too - "I'm looking at the beautiful Christmas decorations."

Interesting, though - she's just starting to get into question asking, and the structure of it tends to be so mangled that I have difficulty decoding "How you play that drum, Mommy?" - I'm never really sure what she's asking - since she's grinning and banging as she asks, I think she's inviting me to join in, but I'm not sure how that really matches what she's saying So far she's not really the "why" type, and I wonder if that will continue - I feel like she just does most of her pondering inside her own head...

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#96 of 108 Old 12-03-2009, 07:11 PM

It's no longer November, but...

DS has just started using the words "me" and "you." Literally over the weekend, he referred to himself as "baby." Then on Monday, he started saying "me" as in "Mama, read book me please." Now everything is "me"-"kiss me," "hug me" "play me (play with me)."

Likewise, the sitter hadn't seen him from last Wednesday to this Tuesday. In that time, he switched from saying "Stef sit chair. Read book baby." to "You sit. You read book me."

"Read book me please" is so cute, I'm in no hurry for him to learn prepositions, but I don't think there's any stopping him now! And also, this is the kid who 6 months ago I was thinking about how he didn't care for books unless he could drive them around with car noises.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#97 of 108 Old 12-03-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
"Read book me please" is so cute, I'm in no hurry for him to learn prepositions, but I don't think there's any stopping him now!
It's adorable. Do you mind my asking how old he is? I'm intrigued because DD never went through a phase like this and I wonder if it's because she was a bit of a late talker (for a giftie).
#98 of 108 Old 12-03-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post
It's adorable. Do you mind my asking how old he is? I'm intrigued because DD never went through a phase like this and I wonder if it's because she was a bit of a late talker (for a giftie).
LOL, Never say never! My dd was one of those 2 year olds speaking in full complete sentences, perfect grammar, adverbs, prepositions, the works. I don't remember any baby talk after a year or so! Then she turned 5 and all of a sudden I would hear, 'Me want cookie!' It definitely lost that cute feel very quick at that age. LOL
#99 of 108 Old 12-03-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ponygirl View Post
LOL, Never say never! My dd was one of those 2 year olds speaking in full complete sentences, perfect grammar, adverbs, prepositions, the works. I don't remember any baby talk after a year or so! Then she turned 5 and all of a sudden I would hear, 'Me want cookie!' It definitely lost that cute feel very quick at that age. LOL
Aaack!!! Oh, no, I've jinxed myself. DD just never did baby talk at all. She went from single words and adjective-noun combinations to descriptive phrases like "at work" and "in car" to full, correct sentences.
#100 of 108 Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
And also, this is the kid who 6 months ago I was thinking about how he didn't care for books unless he could drive them around with car noises.
I remember being disappointed when DS was like, um, 10 or 11 months old and not all that into books. Perhaps it should have occurred to me that 10 or 11 months was pretty young, but DD would sit and be read to for long stretches at 6 months. Anyway, at 22 months, he's completely obsessed with them, and has been since about 15 months.

#101 of 108 Old 12-04-2009, 01:08 AM

He's 25 months. DD was into books from 6 months on, actually she was happy to listen to reading voices from even earlier. DS has JUST, and I mean JUST like in the last 2 weeks, discovered that books have stories and don't just make good cars and very fashionable hats. DD also talked quite early, and clearly, so this is kinda new to me too. I don't really know if he's gifted or not. I know DD tested as such, but he does stuff she didn't do and vice versa. He's mostly physical--walking at 9 months, jumping two footed jump off the ground at 18 months.

I love that he's been making jokes since a year or so (he'd collect 5 things from around the house, including one hat, and put each on his head one by one and prompt you to laugh. Then he'd shake his head no and do the next item. Then he'd do the hat and nod smugly. End performance).

And I hear you on the "not so cute at 5" thing. DD copies DS, or does her own version thereof and it's really grating.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#102 of 108 Old 12-04-2009, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post
Aaack!!! Oh, no, I've jinxed myself. DD just never did baby talk at all. She went from single words and adjective-noun combinations to descriptive phrases like "at work" and "in car" to full, correct sentences.
So what constitutes "baby talk" exactly? I read about not using baby talk being an early symptom of giftedness, but never quite understood what that was supposed to mean, as I would have considered the 2- and 3-word sentences and noun phrases DS used between 16 and 21 months or so "baby talk". So do they mean this sudden shift from using 2-word sentences to (mostly) grammatically correct speech?

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#103 of 108 Old 12-04-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerle View Post
So what constitutes "baby talk" exactly? I read about not using baby talk being an early symptom of giftedness, but never quite understood what that was supposed to mean, as I would have considered the 2- and 3-word sentences and noun phrases DS used between 16 and 21 months or so "baby talk". So do they mean this sudden shift from using 2-word sentences to (mostly) grammatically correct speech?
Oh, I don't know. I guess my view would be that baby talk is grammatically incorrect speech used because a kid hasn't yet learned the parts of speech. You could also call the funny noises babies make before they talk "baby talk" and then I'd have to revise my above statement. What I meant, though, was that DD never did those verb/noun combinations like "throw ball" or "milk cup" that I think kids often say before they graduate to "throw the ball" or "cup of milk." She went from "ball" and "milk" straight to grammatically correct phrases, and then to grammatically correct sentences. She did have a bit of trouble, I remember, with "what" vs. "who" and she still mixes up "he" and "she" sometimes, but she's been saying things like, "Mama, may I please have a cup of milk," since she was 2.

Or maybe my memories are warped. I guess I should break out the old videos.
#104 of 108 Old 12-04-2009, 11:13 AM

Both my kids used grammatically incorrect sentences as early talkers. DS still sometimes says things like "Want swing you Mama" (meaning "I want you to swing me, Mama"). But both of them were using these quite early and moved on to more correct sentences earlier than usual. DS is currently adding a lot of "fill-in words" to his speech. Yesterday he said "I don't want my mama lie down on floor." A couple of weeks ago it probably would have been "Don't want mama lie down."

#105 of 108 Old 12-04-2009, 12:22 PM

DS has been coming out with the delightful, charming, wonderous conversations at such a furious clip in the last few weeks that I couldn't keep up. I felt like I could post to this thread every day. He's especially fascinated with Christmas stuff right now, although afraid of Santa.

Rather than take over, last night I started a blog to record DS's conversations and thoughts and some of my own. (PM me if you want the address.)

Progressive working mom to one Delightful Son, 1/07
#106 of 108 Old 12-04-2009, 01:41 PM

It's got to be because of this thread that I am listening better or some bizzare coincidence, but my DS said his first "actually" yesterday!

Tjej
#107 of 108 Old 12-04-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerle View Post
DS went straight from single words to grammatically correct sentences.

A couple of days after DS's 12 mo WBV, where the Dr insisted he needed to eat more, I was trying to convince DS to have another bite or to of food before letting him out of his highchair. He had tried just saying "done," but the Dr had been so convincing that he wasn't getting enough to eat that I was sitting there still trying to convince him he wanted more. Finally he looked me very squarely in the eye, and said very slowly and very carefully:

"I'm full, mama"

Of course I let him out and found myself very upset that I'd let the pediatrician get to me to the point where DS's very first sentence was such a sad one, dragged out of him by desperation.

For quite a while after that, he mostly talked in quick mumbles I found hrd to understand, but oddly my sister could . The only "babytalk" DS ever did was imitations of "babytalk" people said to him (mostly me .) When I talked about myself in the third [person too much, he started doing it too. When I got into adding a terminal "Y" to lots of cute words (example: dog=doggy) DS started adding it to all kinds of nouns.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#108 of 108 Old 12-04-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post
It's got to be because of this thread that I am listening better or some bizzare coincidence, but my DS said his first "actually" yesterday!

Tjej
DS said "actually" as well yesterday, but I don't think it was his first, though it never occurred to me to think of it as a mile stone. I just probably wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't being discussed here.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page