Roll Call Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 93 Old 11-30-2009, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My boys are 7.5 (8 in March), 5 (as of September) and 2 (as of September).

None have been tested, but I would suspect HG based on traits of each, family history, and statistical probability of siblings being in relative proximity to each other, overall. Looking again at Ruf's levels, I come back to level 3 for them, so far. Of course, my own memory is not so great these days, so thinking back on all three boys is sometimes hard.

It's so much fun to watch them learn and grow!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#62 of 93 Old 11-30-2009, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a fun thread! Nice to know everyone's dc's ages!

I didn't add anything about the Ruf scale about my dd but I suspect she is on Level 2. She touches Level 3 stuff but I'm comfortable at Level 2.
#63 of 93 Old 11-30-2009, 10:32 AM

I mostly lurk here since my kids are older. DD12 has never been tested but fits Ruf's Level 3-4, same as me. DD10 is 2E (dyslexia and slow processing speed) and had test scores all over the place -- almost 3 SDs between certain subtests. The psychologist told us the processing speed issues confounded her nonverbal WISC scores, because some of the subtests were timed. So we don't have an accurate IQ number, but I'd guess she's MG. Her verbal scores qualify her for gifted programs like those at Northwestern's CTD, but we haven't actually tried any of them yet.

Margie
#64 of 93 Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 AM

DD is 10 months. Very young to say much, but she's very early with her milestones, seems to have a good grasp on language skills and just gets stuff. Plus there's a lot of family history on both sides. No clue about her level of giftedness (or if she's just advanced vs. gifted) but I guess time will tell.
#65 of 93 Old 12-03-2009, 12:16 PM

I hope I'm not too late to join in.

Our dd is nearly 4 (turning 4 later this month). She's been weird since birth, and like others have mentioned, we stumbled upon "giftedness" by looking for what was wrong with her. She seems to be level 3 by Ruf's standards, but I don't really know as she is kind of all over the charts there. Dh and I are both gifted (probably level 2), and my FIL is highly gifted (brilliant mind with absolutely no social skills, unfortunately). Many people have commented on dd's abilities, and since she's our first and we don't do many playdates and such, I never know quite what "normal" is. I do know that all of her age-mate friends are far below her in verbal and logical abilities, as well as physical prowess (I'm not saying that to be "holier than thou" just rather something I've observed). One thing that helps is that dd is very tall, so she often gets mistaken for being older than she is.

I agree with what another poster said, it looks like '05 and '06 were banner years for giftedness, at least on MDC. Cool.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#66 of 93 Old 12-03-2009, 12:52 PM

DD is 2.5. When she was a week or two old, someone visited us and said with a strange look, "that baby is TOO alert." I didn't recognize that as unusual at the time, I just thought the woman was weird I feel like DD's slow to show what she knows, but her powers of concentration, intensity of focus on what she's interested in (like having me read advanced books to her for HOURS), and difficulty sleeping had me suspecting giftedness around 12mo's. She skipped or nearly skipped lots of early milestones, and went straight to advanced stuff - for instance, she hardly talked at 18 mo's, but when she did, it was "hippopotamus," never "ball." And then she jumped into full sentences before 2yo, occasionally breaking out with things like "When we get home, *name* will eat bread and jam." Then she developed a full-blown puzzle obsession around 2yo's, able to do over 50 pieces at a time as long as she had a little help with the edges... Right now, she's in a very physical and very creative stage, making up lots of active little dramas for herself and her stuffed animals - it's fun!

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#67 of 93 Old 12-03-2009, 01:01 PM

Suspected gifties, Robby (4) and Nathan (2.75)

I don't really know how gifted they are, they are very "normal" in a lot of ways, but definitely are both different from other kids their age.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#68 of 93 Old 12-04-2009, 10:38 PM

DS1 is 4.5 (April 05)
DS2 is almost 16 months (Aug 08)

Both are physically gifted - both very early with physical milestones (DS2 took his first unassisted steps at 6.5 months!), very coordinated. DS1 does gymnastics at a level with 7-8year olds and is just very very coordinated and has a lot of strength. He was a very late talker (did not really talk until he was 3, but we are a bilingual household), very visual spatial, and loves math.

DS2 is still pretty young, but seems to track a lot like his brother. A big difference I have noticed is that DS2 has been talking a lot earlier and in completed sentences. Not sure about the VS part, but he is definately physically gifted like his brother.

DS1 04/2005; DS2 08/2008
#69 of 93 Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinkn View Post
DD is 2.5. When she was a week or two old, someone visited us and said with a strange look, "that baby is TOO alert." I didn't recognize that as unusual at the time, I just thought the woman was weird I feel like DD's slow to show what she knows, but her powers of concentration, intensity of focus on what she's interested in (like having me read advanced books to her for HOURS), and difficulty sleeping had me suspecting giftedness around 12mo's. She skipped or nearly skipped lots of early milestones, and went straight to advanced stuff - for instance, she hardly talked at 18 mo's, but when she did, it was "hippopotamus," never "ball." And then she jumped into full sentences before 2yo, occasionally breaking out with things like "When we get home, *name* will eat bread and jam." Then she developed a full-blown puzzle obsession around 2yo's, able to do over 50 pieces at a time as long as she had a little help with the edges... Right now, she's in a very physical and very creative stage, making up lots of active little dramas for herself and her stuffed animals - it's fun!
Our DD's are very similar. Except mine hates puzzles But the super alert thing and the non sleeping and advanced words--that all rings a bell.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#70 of 93 Old 12-06-2009, 01:01 AM

We're just coming to giftedness after trying to figure out our DD1 who is 4.5. I'm quite sure that she's gifted. She's an INTENSE kid and she is really really fond of numbers. (she's been doing multiplication for several months now) and she's got great speaking skills (always had) but she's also highly anxious and perfectionistic so it's hard to know what she really can do because she doesn't like to show much unless she knows it's going to be perfect. Still, I get enough glimpses that I'm quite comfortable calling her gifted.

DD 2 is 20 months and is basically a mountain goat with opposable thumbs. I'm sure I'd know whether or not she was gifted if I could keep her from climbing the sofa, chairs, curtains, toys, shelves etc, etc, etc.
#71 of 93 Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
Our DD's are very similar. Except mine hates puzzles But the super alert thing and the non sleeping and advanced words--that all rings a bell.

V

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#72 of 93 Old 12-07-2009, 08:12 PM

I'm a lurker. I have two boys- 6 and 4. We are homeschooling, with a definite lean toward unschooling.
I like to read this thread for various reasons. Both my husband and I were in gifted programs when we attended school. I had an IQ test when I was little and they gave me the SAT test at like 10 years old, but I don't remember how I did.
Anyhoo, I suspect one or both of my kidlets are gifted in some respect. My 6 year old is a very deep thinker, a philosopher of sorts. He is especially artistic and has a memory that is just crazy.
My youngest can read already, but I don't get the same gifted vibe from him that I get from DS1. We will see....
#73 of 93 Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 PM

Here! Dh and I just have the one little two year old so far. However you want to call it he's a very smart little boy. Wyatt turned 2 in October. I'm Jennifer. I'm 31. Dh is Louie. We live in South Texas.
So, he's 26 months old. He does math video games on the iPhone. I go through and download the free ones. I delete the ones he doesn't use. We got the Singapore math A in the mail a few days ago. We'll start shortly after Christmas. He's got the foundation to start working on it. Like his favorite game now is "feed me" which includes puzzles such as grape grape wagon wagon grape grape = cat cat girl cat cat girl, cat girl cat girl cat girl, or cat cat girl girl cat cat. Right now he's begging for "my game" so I can't even finish my post. He's memorizing multiplication and stuff by rote from the games. A friends 5th grade daughter was bragging to her friends "I saw him do a multiplication and get it right.". Who knows how them video games work?
#74 of 93 Old 12-08-2009, 03:23 AM

Hi all- I mostly lurk here. DD is 4. She has not been tested, but a lot of Ruf's Level 3 looks very familiar when I read down the list. We knew she was extra-alert from day one, like others have discussed about their kiddos. She has alway seemed like an adult trapped in a baby's body, and it seemed like such a relief for her when she was able to tell us what she was thinking, which she started doing very early. I am planning to homeschool her. I don't want her to be bored in school like I was, and the only school options we have around here don't have much in the way of gifted education.

DS is 7 months. Too soon to really say much. He's not super verbal like DD was at this age, but definitely spatially very bright already.

I always enjoy reading here, even though I rarely post.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#75 of 93 Old 12-23-2009, 03:53 AM

We are in the older crowd, too.

CherryPie is 11
KiwiBoy is 8

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#76 of 93 Old 12-23-2009, 02:38 PM

Hi! Mine are a bit older than the general crowd here. Christopher is 7 and David is 5. According to Ruf's levels, Chris is a 3 and David is a 2. I have to say though that both boys are gifted in different areas. Chris has more mathematical/engineering mindset and David is attracted to reading, language arts, and the such.

DH is profoundly gifted and I am Highly gifted. I suspect that Chris is High Gifted and David is probably Mildly Gifted. I found a test online and Chris is a visual - spatial learner. He also shows some traits that makes me wonder if he might be on Autistic Spectrum somewhere. At this point DH acknowledges the traits but refuses to have him tested. MEN! Thanks to DH, I am homeschooling Chris but David is attending school. Can you say we have some issues we need to work out.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#77 of 93 Old 12-23-2009, 03:11 PM

DD is 10 (11 next month)
DS is 8

Both are in full time self contained "gifted" classes through the public school system.

#78 of 93 Old 12-23-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
DD is 10 (11 next month)
DS is 8

Both are in full time self contained "gifted" classes through the public school system.
You are so lucky you have this!! The only program here is math olympiad but we have tons of incredibly gifted kids here in our town.

Older crowd here also.

DS1 will be 11 in April. He is highly gifted intellectually (99% on several tests), and profoundly gifted musically (per many music teachers). He is playing full on concertos now, chamber music, the entire first Bach suite, etc. He is in a youth symphony where he is the youngest (most kids are in high school) and he is holding his own.

DD will be 8 in January. She is moderately gifted, top of the class, learns everything from first time, every teacher's dream kid. Fiercely independent and very temperamental.

DS2 is 4. He appears moderately gifted intellectually, very gifted musically, but he is very stubborn and only learns when he wants to. He is an expert on legos and all kinds of vehicles. His memory is amazing!
#79 of 93 Old 12-30-2009, 06:11 PM

I have read through this sub forum sporadically, but this is my first post here!

I have a 9 year old DD (will turn 10 is March) who is in 4th grade. In the beginning of 3rd grade, she took the CogAT test and scored 98 percentile on both the Verbal and Nonverbal portion (but as a side note only scored at 31 percentile on the Quantitative portion ) She has always appeared alert, has always been high needs (and VERY active!), started speaking (and very clearly) fairly early - I want to say in the 14 - 18 month range (it's been a few years since then, LOL!) She has always been curious about many things, and unknowingly, my husband and I have been unschooling her along with her "formal" public education! Since she was an only child until she was 8 years old, we had the time to in depth answer her questions and got her the necessary resources to learn. Just recently she decided that she thought origami was cool, so she looked up on the internet how to do it, and taught herself - and has her classmates at school asking her to make origami for them!

I also have a 20 month old DS. He isn't speaking as much or as clearly as my daughter was at that age, but he clearly understands most everything we say to him (and can follow our commands, etc. correctly). Between verbal and sign language he has at least 30 words. Very different personality that my DD - more easy going, not throwing the knock-down, drag-out fits as my DD did (that would often lead to/end with throwing up! ) But also is very active (read: a climber and can figure out how to open baby gates, etc.) I don't have a clear idea whether or not he is/will be considered gifted, but I would imagine that he will be a natural learner like his sister.

I haven't done a lot of reading about giftedness, but would like to lean more - any suggestions? I am very interested to know if there are any special dietary needs for gifted kids. Two examples - my daughter NEEDS to eat a decent amount of protein to function, and we have to limit her electronic/TV exposure on a daily basis, or she will become a bear emotionally and with respect to her behaviors.

Whew! This turned into quite a long post! If you made it this far, thanks for reading, and I look forward to reading/participating more in the future!

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
#80 of 93 Old 12-30-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
Hi.

DS1 is 5.5 and I suspect he is 2E (sensory issues, ADHD-like) - and has traits like my FIL who has a PhD in mathematics but has difficulty expressing himself in words

DS2 is 2.5 and universally precocious to the point that it often attracts attention from strangers

No idea if they would test as gifted. There is a strong family history though, so it has been on our radar...
I have one of these, but my dd is slightly younger.

Hi all. I've always just lurked, but I thought it time to introduce myself. My DD, E, turned 2 on 12/27. She was never an infant, if that makes any sense. She was wildly alert as a newborn and gave real social smiles at 4 days old. She walked early (8mo), talked early, and PL'd herself in a weekend at 20 mo. Now, at 24 mo, talks in full adult style sentences. She follows multiple step directions, dresses herself, and last week asked where the keys were because she was going to learn how to drive the car.

Without any quizzing or pushing from her papa or me, she has learned her colors and numbers and a large portion of her alphabet. She as a keen interest in words and my prediction is she will be reading very shortly.

I don't know anything about testing or ranking or what different acronyms stand for. I just know that mama-ing my LO is both my greatest joy and biggest challenge, and I look forward to getting to know this community as she grows and develops.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#81 of 93 Old 12-30-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaksie68 View Post
I am very interested to know if there are any special dietary needs for gifted kids. Two examples - my daughter NEEDS to eat a decent amount of protein to function,
Reactive hypoglycemia is slightly more common in the gifted population than in the general population.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#82 of 93 Old 12-30-2009, 08:08 PM

My little one turned 2 in late November. It is obviously too early to test, but he seems to be at least highly gifted in both an academic (knows all letters, numbers, regularly memorizes his books, etc) and gross motor skills (throws so hard and fast that I can't even catch it anymore). As someone who had some good and not so great experiences as an exceptionally gifted kid, I've been mostly lurking to get ideas on how to support my 2 year old's interests while limiting (if possible) the anxiety that accompanied my childhood.

Nicole, dissertating mama to M (Nov 2007) and expecting another (Mar 2012)

#83 of 93 Old 12-30-2009, 09:06 PM

dd1 is 11, 6th grade, consistently tests in 99th for everything, very specific and analytical.
dd2 is 9, 4th grade, consistently tests 99th for everything, very emotionally gifted and sensitive to others. Probably has reactive hypoglycemia, i.e., PROTEIN.

both are making huge strides musically on their instruments.

ds is 6 in KG and is very asynchronous because he's so introverted that social stuff is very, very hard for him. Making progress. Has not been evaluated, but reading on about a 5th grade level. Also probably has the PROTEIN need.

dd3 is 3 1/2 and is very very verbal. She loves logic games and was making letters out of legos last week. Also has the protein need.

dd4 is 9 months and cannot be identified as gifted, but is very social, cheerful, alert, and has this rich environment to learn from?

DH's parents never told him, but I am absolutely certain he is PG and his parents worked very hard on helping him be "socially OK" as well as provided rich and enriching experiences for him and working with his teachers in school, etc.

I don't know what level, but I was always in GT programs. Probably not PG.
#84 of 93 Old 01-04-2010, 06:54 PM

ds1 just turned six
ds2 is 2
#85 of 93 Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 PM

DD is 3.5--she was born May 2006. I think she may fall in the 2 or 3 on Ruf's scale. I was tested as a kid and am MG or HG and I think DH is EG or PG. DD's greatest strength is verbal. I'm starting to think she also may have a proclivity for music. Her motor skills have always been a tad behind the curve, as has some physical development (very small, very late teether). She didn't walk until she was almost 15 months old, but she was talking in brief sentences shortly after that. I'm sure she'd be starting to write words if her fine motor skills were as developed as her understanding of language.
#86 of 93 Old 01-04-2010, 11:00 PM

Ecoteat, ,my May 06 girl is quite similar. Her fine motor skills seem to have caught up a little over the past year but they are still really hard work for her e.g. if she wants to do some cutting and pasting she'll cut the first whatever out, then ask me to do the rest because she's exhausted her "fiddly work" stamina lol. Her drawing (or sometimes lack of interest therein) has always lagged behind her same age peers but her verbal/cognitive abilities are years ahead

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#87 of 93 Old 01-05-2010, 12:36 AM

i feel bad jumping in without reading the whole thread, but i read and skimmed through part of it, and i think that's the best i'll be able to do for a while!

i have 2 DD, aged almost 4.5 and 1.5. neither has been tested, but older DD is way ahead in so many areas that i'm pretty sure she's gifted. if younger DD keeps up like she is, i'm sure i'll be saying the same thing about her in a few years.

i was never identified as a gifted kid, and i've never taken an IQ test, but i've scored in the 99th percentile of virtually every standardized test i've ever taken, so i'm pretty sure i'd have fallen somewhere along the spectrum. DH is either not gifted, or less gifted than me (he's european and sometimes i really can't tell what's a result of culture/upbringing and what's from "IQ"). intellectually, i think i was something of a late bloomer (according to my parents i was not nearly as smart as my girls at their ages), so i'm not sure what to expect from my kids as they get bigger. can late bloomers have early bloomers?

anyway, nice to formally introduce myself and meet you all!
#88 of 93 Old 01-08-2010, 08:13 AM

I usually just lurk but figured now was a good time to jump in.

My ds is 7 and my dd is 5.

Teaching wife & mama knit.gif  to my not so little ones - DS (10) drum.gif and DD (8) dust.gif

#89 of 93 Old 01-08-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormajor View Post
intellectually, i think i was something of a late bloomer (according to my parents i was not nearly as smart as my girls at their ages), so i'm not sure what to expect from my kids as they get bigger. can late bloomers have early bloomers?
I think so. For instance, from what I understand I was pretty right on track hitting my milestones with a few exceptions (I could do a shape sorter at 9 months and was potty trained very early). However, once I got older I started doing more and I know I was reading before kindergarten. DD, on the other hand, has been ahead cross the board, much like DH was. She's too young to be tested but she keeps getting farther and farther ahead the older she gets.
#90 of 93 Old 01-09-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
DD is 6 in Jan. She was nominated for GT testing at school, so we will have some numbers soon, but I suspect she is MG or HG. I actually think her subtests will be all over the map, with very high verbal and memory scores but low to average spatial ability. I can't say I'd be surprised, though, if she tested just below gifted (high average) OR if she tested PG. Really, I just don't know. She is a strange mixture.

She also is artistically gifted.
This nearly describes my ds to a tee. He was tested last year after a recommendation from his teacher. He tested exceptionally above average and just under gifted. He is pretty even though between verbal and spatial. He freaks me out because he is the kid that 'tries' EVERYTHING. I am amazed he has made it this far. He started riding a bike at 3 without training wheels and at 5 he says "look mom no hands" and pops wheelies. His ability to balance is off the charts and now, at 6, he is making his skateboard flip underneath him and he 'grinds' with his ripstick. DH thinks we should encourage his 'extreme sports' nature. I think we should have in reading in a library!!

My dd is 14 and she was in the gifted program for math earlier on. Now she plays several instruments; Violin, Cello, Piano and wants a set of drums (yeah me). She is a exceptionally talented artist and is also putting out her feelers for drama. I have NO idea where she gets her creativity from - I am certainly NOT creative!!

Both Dh and myself are 'gifted'. My IQ has been tested twice once at 152 and the other at 146 (not sure why the large difference) and Dh tested around 150 when he was a teenager. Not sure if I feel that 'giftedness' is a truly genetic trait or more of an environmental issue.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page