Greetings from a newbie! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, everyone! I'm Jenifer, mom to Matthew, who just turned 3. He's an unusual child, and probably gifted, given what we know of him right now.

<brag>

Matthew's been memorizing books for ages, and has a long sight-word list. He's just starting to read arbitrary words using phonics, and has a great time sounding out new ones -- reads signs out loud (really LOUD!) in the grocery store, tries to read the covers of books and magazines he finds lying around, and so on.

He adores writing. He spends hours per week writing his name and those of people he loves. (Not quite the whole alphabet yet, but he's working on it.) Doesn't draw much of anything else, though!

He's currently enjoying a new set of Montessori math beads I got him. Loves carrying around the thousand cube, loves to count out singles and tens, and seems to almost understand place value -- hard to tell what "understand" really means at this age. But he can construct two-digit numbers by correctly counting out the tens and singles, which surprised us.

When he was two, he made up a Chisenbop-like two-digit counting system on his hands, modified for his limited finger coordination. When he counts, he uses it so fast that I can hardly keep up with him. It's crazy to watch.

And puzzles! Loves doing 100-piece jigsaw puzzles, which he memorizes. They're right at the limit of his ability, so he's very persistent with them.

</brag>

Otherwise, he is a high needs, extremely active child that needs to run and move his body a lot every day. We AP'ed him as a baby -- and thank goodness, because he really needs physical contact, and lots of help dealing with his big feelings! (CIO would have shut him down, I'm sure.) He's very social, and loves his preschool friends -- he goes to a play-based school every day, 9-3, and is ridiculously happy there. But he needs introvert time too. Afterschool playdates don't work; he needs to be alone or with me.

DH isn't entirely on board with the "gifted" thing. He thinks it's too early to tell what he'll be like in elementary school, but at a gut level, I disagree. I have a baaaad feeling about sending him to a public kindergarten, both because of his physical activity level and his cognitive skills. And we don't want to homeschool, because he loves the social aspect of school so much! So I'm looking at private school options. ($$$$$. eeek.) I'll probably start another thread -- or two, or fifty -- about that.

Thanks for listening. I'm so glad to have found a community where Matthew doesn't sound so unusual! (I've been reading these threads quietly for a while. Heh.)

Mommy to Matthew, 11/06
#2 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 02:47 PM

Sounds like you're in for quite a ride

GL and WELCOME!
#3 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 02:57 PM

Brag away! He sounds like an amazing little guy. And most certainly gifted (in my very-non-professional opinion).

Welcome. As for schooling options, there are many options, including various HS options that do have group-learning/activity options. It might seem a little early to think about...but it's good to just check things out in a casual way as you have time so you are not having to cram the decision in before that K deadline, you know?

Anyhow, welcome!
#4 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySunSea View Post
Welcome. As for schooling options, there are many options, including various HS options that do have group-learning/activity options. It might seem a little early to think about...but it's good to just check things out in a casual way as you have time so you are not having to cram the decision in before that K deadline, you know?
That was exactly my thinking. This fall, I started going to the open houses of various schools in the area. Some I liked, and others were just scary. I'm not entirely rejecting the idea of homeschooling yet, but it depends on a lot of things... we'll see!

Thanks for the welcomes, y'all.

Mommy to Matthew, 11/06
#5 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 07:19 PM

Welcome.
#6 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 10:31 PM

Your DS sounds a lot like my DS. Mine is also 3 yo, but will be 4 yo in feb. Mine is also already doing K level academics as is your DS.

Our current plan (we are always open to changing plans, if circumstances change) is to keep him in a private Montessori school through his kindergarten year, which we plan to do one year early. Then we can put him straight into public first grade the year he would be K eligible.

If there is a particular private school your interested in, but can't afford, ask about scholarships.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#7 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 10:34 PM

Welcome.

In the spirit of keeping your options open, if you have not already done so I would encourage you to do a quick google and check on yahoogroups about homeschooling groups in your area. It depends a lot on where you live but you may find that it would be possible to actually have more social time than he'd have in school.

Also, if you haven't already read it I strongly recommend this book. http://www.amazon.com/Parents-Guide-.../dp/0910707790
#8 of 9 Old 12-01-2009, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome!

I second Roar's suggestion to look for homeschooling groups in your area. In addition to the groups, we also have many museums and other institutions/businesses that offer homeschool classes on a regular basis. We have many weeks where we spend more time OUT of the house than in! My eldest would love to be in a traditional school setting for the social aspect, but also has a high need for movement and would NOT do well in a sit-at-your-desk-all-day setting. So, we balance those needs as best we can!

Good luck on your journey! It will never be boring!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#9 of 9 Old 12-01-2009, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Welcome! What an interesting little guy. My newly three-year old is not as advanced, but the high needs, activity, big emotions, need for movement etc. are right there. And feel free to brag - we even have an extra thread for it, the monthly "What are they up to now?" thread, so that together with the stuff that's age-appropriate we can talk about stuff we feel we cannot talk about to anyone IRL .
Enjoy the ride!

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page