How to cope financially with a gifted child? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 94 Old 01-02-2010, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post
So I might try only 10 books from the library about things found in nature in your area (supervise reading of those 10 books), plan a daily nature walk, some other nature centered activities and several rereads of the books. You may find that your child enjoys the books a bit more when it has more context and is willing to reread the books with a new context after they've explored the subjects in the book a bit more.
Yes! Reading books is so much more meaningful when they connect to your life.
#92 of 94 Old 01-03-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalizzie View Post
Actually, I'm fairly certain that the research shows having fewer books that the child memorizes helps in learning to read quite a bit. By already knowing what words are on the page, the child can start to put two and two together and realize what the words actually say.
The reading teacher at my kids' school was just talking about this. She said that hearing/reading books repeatedly does help the children with their reading and she was going to be adding more repetitive reading to her reading program. I can't remember where she said she heard this though so I don't have any sources to give anyone.
#93 of 94 Old 01-03-2010, 11:34 AM

I don't know specifically that this is a gifted issue. If it's not an issue of what she's reading herself, it probably isn't, unless she has an unusual memory where she really doesn't gain by repetition. My kids definitely do.

In home schooling, some of the best values we have used for K-1 are:

Church choir
Church dance program
Recorder as an instrument for learning music
County rec classes
Curricula that last a long time -- like Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons; that lasted us probably 8 months for $15.
Printable math sheets

I know you're saying she's got a 3 year old's behavior so some classes and activities are not going to be appropriate for when she's doing K-1 work.

When my youngest was turning 4 I mostly switched to reading aloud chapter books and using audiobook novels. That was an executive decision that was good for me and I do not think hurt them though it was not their first choice.
#94 of 94 Old 01-03-2010, 12:34 PM

I haven't read all the replies, so I do apologize if there is some repetition here.

First off, coloring in books at our house would be the first issue I'd address. You've said your dd knows not to do this but has difficulty controlling that impulse. I'd do one or both of these: Put all crayons/markers out of reach and/or put all books out of reach. I'd explain that we do NOT scribble on books and that I was putting things up until she was older and able to act respectfully.

Do you have a dry erase board? They are pretty cheap and you can buy one with magnets that attaches to your fridge. Very good investment. Also, if you want to leave art supplies out, what about putting easel paper on a large portion of your wall and having crayons underneath for coloring. We do this and it works well and saves on books of blank art paper. Chalkboards are also good since they are eraseable.

If you're going through 50 books a week, and you buy all of these books, then you should have a fairly large collection. I'm not the parent of your child but my child has an amazing memory and I would say that after 100-200 books, she would have forgotten the first set of books we read. When dd was about 2.5 she went through a novelty phase, but we had a large collection of children's books so we just rotated often. Beginning at age 3, I started reading less books to dd. We read one book with breakfast, one with lunch, maybe one with dinner, and 2 at bedtime. I try to get books that are seasonally appropriate or have some connection with our lives (like a pp mentioned). This makes them more fulfilling. We have a set of about 10 books per week that I rotate when reading, and the next week, I have a new set of 10. I like having set reading times because I believe that at age 3 a child needs to be doing many other things besides reading--not that reading is bad, but there are so many other things to explore. What about choosing 10 books per week and then after each, acting out the story or painting a picture about the story, or something creative to draw out the experience and make it more in-depth.

Do you have a used bookstore near you? We buy most of our books at Half Priced Books or ebay. Chapter books are great for this age, especially ones like Winnie the Pooh in which each "chapter" is a story in and of itself. I would visit a good used bookstore and get several story collections. They aren't hard to find and cost about $5 each for 100 or more stories. Also, www.mainlesson.com has some really great stories for free online. Can you make up your own stories together to tell or write down in book form (just fold paper and staple)?

Things like zoo memberships and museum memberships aren't really necessary at this age but just fun. If money is tight, just forgo these and get some good nature books from a used bookshop (National Geographic has a great children's set that I found at our used bookstore for $2 a piece). You could also take out a nature magazine subscription, like Your Big Backyard from the National Wildlife Federation. At a used bookshop you can get a fun science book with experiments to take the place of a children's museum, or just browse online preschool blogs. There are some really good things online. I've gotten great ideas from: http://www.perpetualpreschool.com/sensoryideas.html and http://filthwizardry.blogspot.com/ and http://www.besthomeschooling.org/art..._ps_kdgtn.html . Ask on the homeschooling board for good blog recommendations. Montessori blogs are really fun usually. Little Acorn Learning is also a good resource, and online you can get two free samples. We currently do Seasons of Joy, and that has lots of game/crafting/story ideas, and is only $15 per season.

To me, it sounds like your child is actually bored with reading. Maybe she is just enjoying "mama time" while reading but is not really enjoying the experience so much and doesn't know how to express it. I would definitely focus on doing other quality things together. My advice is to read less and play more. For when you do read, buy story collections or chapter books or get free stories online. Do things at home that are free: Go on nature walks (perhaps take a plant field guide), paint together, craft together (my dd loves cutting craft store felt while I make felt playmats for her), bake together, plant seeds. There is so many wonderful free things in this world--free concerts, free zoo days, free air, free snow. We recently had fun making our own ice skating rink in a pie plate for dd's plastic animals. Life doesn't have to be so expensive. It just sounds like you need some fresh ideas and your dd does too!

Best wishes!

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page