Can giftedness and Waldorf education coexist? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
I also think it's important to nurture the natural fascination for science and exploration that children have. It's just as amazing to understand how a rainbow is created by light shining through the prisms of raindrops, and to use crystals to demonstrate it, as it is to believe that there are rainbow fairies. I would be unhappy if a teacher dismissed my child's interest in the scientific explanation on the basis that it is flat and uninspiring.
YES. Since I am a science teacher, when dd asks questions about her natural surroundings (which is all the time, especially since we live on 85 acres of forest and most of our friends are back-to-the-land types), I explain things to her factually. I find magic in scientific reality. DH is much more fanciful and imaginative in his version of things.

Also, thanks for the link to that other thread. There are some good points there.
#32 of 32 Old 02-15-2010, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was so glad to find this post...we are wrestling with a similiar issue.

DS1 has been in a Waldporf Kindy for the last two years. Overall, it's been a positive expereince for him, although I think he's beginning to get bored now. He loves his friends, the stories, the imaginative play and that they spend half the morning in the woods. The fact that the school introduces no academics during this time felt comfortable to me, he needed the play time & the social interaction.

BUT, he has been working at home on reading, writing & math. He's 'normal' in language arts (where you would expect-he's been writing his own stories in all caps, with phonetic spelling), but has an intuitive math sense & a deeply analytical/scientific curiosity about the world. Gifted? I don't know. He knows how to add, subtract, multiply, understands fractions, is figuring out his own times table. All pretty much self-directed.

WE're trying to figure out if the grades would be a good fit for him. He loves stories, is deeply imaginative, magic & spirituality speak to him. He also wants to know how everything works (scientific explainations do not decrease the wonder & magic for him), explore his own interests at his own times (he's been immersed in electricity for days - building looped circuits), and has that math thing. Although, Waldorf doesn't have the same gap/delay (compared to public school) in math that they do in reading.

Waldorf supports alot about our family's lifestyle that are not supported by public school or even other private schools (very little media, minimal consumerism/branding, crafty, spiritual, etc.). But, is he going to be damaged or stifled by attending the grades? Can I stand the rigidity of the curriculum? Can he?

I'm reading this thread (and the other thread that was linked) with great interest.

Loving mama to magical boys Skyler (11/21/03) and Gryffin Emrys (9/30/08). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page