Very interesting New York Mag article on testing youngsters for giftedness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-01-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Specifically, using various tests, including different IQ tests, to gauge 4 year olds and place them in schooling, as well as how early testing correlates poorly, if at all, with later success. There's nothing particularly new or groundbreaking, but it's a good read.

Thoughts?

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#2 of 10 Old 02-01-2010, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I only read pg 1 and 6 as I'm on my way out, but will read it later.

You might also be interested in Bronson and Merryman's work in Nurture Shock. It has a great chapter on testing, IMO. They have a website and had a blog in newsweek where they talk about the marshmallow test .

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/nurtu...-passions.aspx

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#3 of 10 Old 02-01-2010, 06:19 PM

My thoughts? I'm glad I don't live in NYC. What a nightmare.
#4 of 10 Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 AM

The marshmallow test is interesting. I've got to try that one on DS later. I think he could do it, He's pretty good with "If you let mommy get what we need at the grocery store, we can go to Barnes and Noble when we're done."

Then again, I'm not sure my very skinny hardly eats at all child want to eat 2 whole marshmallows, one probably sounds plenty filling to him.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#5 of 10 Old 02-02-2010, 04:33 AM

I thought about this more while I got stuff ready for bed, and it really is notable the way children this age will perform for one person and not another. Also simply on how the request happens to be worded.

At DS's last check up with his pediatrician around his 3rd b-day, she asked him to spell his name, he did. At that point he had been typing it on to the computer for a while. At home he was also doing quite a bit of creative spelling using refrigerator magnets.

More recently at 3 3/4 yo, he was seen by a developmental Dr mostly so we could get a referral for OT to help with some sensory issues that have been causing problems at school. In her report she made a fuss over the contrast between his ability to read and his supposed inability to spell anything including his name . She based this on DS saying he couldn't when he was asked to write his name.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#6 of 10 Old 02-02-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joensally View Post

You might also be interested in Bronson and Merryman's work in Nurture Shock. It has a great chapter on testing, IMO. They have a website and had a blog in newsweek where they talk about the marshmallow test .

Thanks for that link Now I want the book...

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#7 of 10 Old 02-02-2010, 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=eepster;15014917]

More recently at 3 3/4 yo, he was seen by a developmental Dr mostly so we could get a referral for OT to help with some sensory issues that have been causing problems at school. In her report she made a fuss over the contrast between his ability to read and his supposed inability to spell anything including his name . [ /QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure if they can read but not spell at age 3 it is a sign they are headed for a life of crime. Sorry, that's just how it works. So crazy!
#8 of 10 Old 02-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I just finished their book. Very enlightening. The most interesting thing about the whole testing part, IMO, were the test makers comments. Using the tests as end all conclusions was not recommended in any way shape or form.

Oh, and that scores on children can and do widely change, unlike scores on adults.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#9 of 10 Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 PM

Another recommendation for the book. So many great discussions in it.

I'm ABD in neuroscience + cog psych, and my specialty was on language and cognitive development so I get so annoyed when the media (and corporations) completely misconstrue the science. I've long since given up trying to explain any of the science to anyone.

I think this book does a great job of integrating the research into discernible chunks most applicable to parents. It's like a solid literature review written for the lay person. But, the authors were also very smart to include examples from their own lives too so I think it feels less didactic and perhaps more approachable for folks who might be sensitive about some of the topics.

Holli
#10 of 10 Old 02-02-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:

I'm reading their book right now and really enjoy it. However, in the gifted section there's a couple things I don't really get. They said that early IQ tests do not correlate to later achievement tests... but what about underachieving gifted students that you hear about all too often? How are those students taken into account? Also, if IQ tests aren't accurate until alter on, is it fair for the kids that are ahead early on to sit in classes that are not meeting their educational needs?

I found it a very intersting read (so far) but I would've like to see those things addressed. I haven't seen their blog... do they talk about that on there somewhere?

I also wonder about what they said about early language skills. I actually was even thinking about starting a new thread here... They say in the book that correct object labeling and responding to the child's sounds is key to early language skills... I'm curious if the parents here with early talkers did that quite often?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page